December 20, 2021
Late Advent Weekday
Openness to Mystery
And the angel said to her in reply, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.”
Luke 1:35

At first, Mary could not imagine how the angel’s proclamation that she would bear a son would be fulfilled. Yet when the angel assured her of the power of God’s Spirit, Mary responded with faith in God’s trustworthiness as well as an openness to mystery.

Sooner or later, we all experience moments of doubt and times when we question how some perplexing situation will be resolved. There are no easy explanations for the sometimes wonderful, or sometimes painful, events of our lives. Like Mary, we are invited to make room in our hearts for mystery. In these final days of Advent, we are challenged to let go of our natural desire for certainty and security and entrust ourselves and our loved ones to the mystery of God.

Lord, may we trust that your Spirit continues to bring new creation out of chaos or uncertainty.

- Terri Mifek

Isaiah 7:10-14 • Psalm 24:1-6 Luke 1:26-38

Comments

Alyssa Peacock Respond to comment
December 21, 2021 at 06:57 AM

Prayers for all. Radiant Sun....shine on us...

December 20, 2021 at 06:32 PM

I love what I learned in today's Gospel! *** Luke 1:28-29, "he (angel Gabriel) said, “Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you.” But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be." Mary was not troubled by the message that followed, but she was troubled by the angel Gabriel's praise greeting! *** Mary asked a very practical question in Luke 1:34, "But Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I have no relations with a man?” She didn't ask, "I am having a baby who will be the Son of God, how can this be?" She did not question the message, but she wanted to know how exactly! *** Luke 1:38, "Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” Her immediate obedience and faithfulness shows her knowledge of God and her love for God! ******* In this passage, I learned that Mary was humble (troubled by the praise), practical (asked questions) and faithful (responded immediately) as young as she was! I am grateful for her yes and humbled by her example! May the Lord's plan for me be fulfilled according to His Word! Amen!!! Mary, Did You Know? by Carrie Underwood https://youtu.be/MWJh4I_KTIs

December 20, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Living Faith family just completing my 3rd day of thhe Surrender novena I will share those days it seems timely for these times. DAY 1: Why do you confuse yourselves by worrying? Leave the care of your affairs to me and everything will be peaceful. I say to you in truth that every act of true, blind, complete surrender to me produces the effect that you desire and resolves all difficult situations. O Jesus, I surrender myself to you, take care of everything! (Say 10 times) DAY 2: Surrender to me does not mean to fret, to be upset, or to lose hope, nor does it mean offering to me a worried prayer asking me to follow you and change your worry into prayer. It is against this surrender, deeply against it, to worry, to be nervous and to desire to think about the consequences of anything. It is like the confusion that children feel when they ask their mother to see to their needs, and then try to take care of those needs for themselves so that their childlike efforts get in their mother’s way. Surrender means to placidly close the eyes of the soul, to turn away from thoughts of tribulation and to put yourself in my care, so that only I act. Saying “You take care of it.” O Jesus, I surrender myself to you, take care of everything! (Say 10 times) DAY 3: How many things I do when the soul, in so much spiritual and material need, turns to me, looks at me and says to me; “You take care of it”, then closes its eyes and rests. In pain you pray for me to act, but that I act in the way you want. You do not turn to me, instead, you want me to adapt to your ideas. You are not sick people who ask the doctor to cure you, but rather sick people who tell the doctor how to. So do not act this way, but pray as I taught you in the Our Father: Hallowed be thy Name, that is, be glorified in my need. Thy kingdom come”, that is, let all that is in us and in the world be in accord with your kingdom. Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven, that is, in our need, decide as you see fit for our temporal and eternal life. If you say to me truly: Thy will be done. Which is the same as saying: You take care of it. I will intervene with all my omnipotence, and I will resolve the most difficult situations. Ken

Jane
December 21, 2021 at 08:57 AM

Ken, big heart for this one. It is beautiful and so restful. Just reading it takes away the worry. Thanks for sharing. I will look this up so i can print and incorporate it into my ritual. Thanks for bringing such beauty to the chat.

December 20, 2021 at 10:34 AM

Right now my son and I are going through some very serious health issues. Please pray for my son as he is having a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow to determine if he can proceed with a bone marrow transplant. May it be done in us according to His will.

Jane
December 21, 2021 at 08:54 AM

CC…sending you and your son patience, strength and courage for this long journey. Lifting your spirits, too.

Katj
December 21, 2021 at 07:19 AM

CC- praying my rosary this morning for you and your son. God Bless

Bill L
December 20, 2021 at 03:57 PM

Adding you and your son to my prayer list, CC.

December 20, 2021 at 03:22 PM

Praying along side you just as you asked, CC! Confidence by Santus Real https://youtu.be/DuZPOVFcFJ4

T W
December 20, 2021 at 12:24 PM

I Praying that the Healing Hands of Jesus provides Complete Healing for you both!

Rita
December 20, 2021 at 12:01 PM

CC, may the Lord be with you and your son, praying for you right now.

Cindy A
December 20, 2021 at 11:02 AM

Praying for both you and your son, now...may you be surrounded by God's love and hope now and always.

December 20, 2021 at 08:52 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

kjc
December 20, 2021 at 10:51 AM

CC I will pray for you and your son right now. Know that the holy spirit is always available to help. Holy spirit guide my mind holy spirit control my thoughts Ken

December 20, 2021 at 08:23 AM

December 20, 2021 at 07:44 AM

Thank you Terri. So much of our lives are chaos and uncertainty. I think that’s why we need to celebrate the blessings so much…because there are many things that turn out badly or don’t turn out as expected. There are many areas where i make poor choices and drive a non-ideal outcome. I will celebrate those moments of creation that arise from my chaos and uncertainty. Prayers to those separated at the holidays, those in purgatory and those needing love and those who need to feel less anxiety.

GHH
December 20, 2021 at 09:29 AM

Jane, thank you for bringing your big heart and beautiful words to this group. Your posts make God smile. Merry and blessed Christmas to all!

December 20, 2021 at 06:37 AM

Thank you, Terri, for a thought-provoking and timely reflection. There were some situations in my life I had prayed would be resolved before Christmas, but your words today gave me pause and renewed hope that God is there through all the uncertainty and mystery. We just have to keep faith that He is ultimately in control and will bring things to fulfillment in His way and time. God bless and Merry Christmas to you and all the Living Faith family!

Rebecca
December 20, 2021 at 02:47 PM

Thank you, Ken and Jane, for your prayers and thoughtful comments. :) I'm a new poster here but have been reading the devotionals for a few years. The caring environment on Living Faith is refreshing. Prayers for all!

December 20, 2021 at 10:08 AM

Rebecca I will pray that your problems are resolved. It has been said that the Lord answers all our prayers. Sometimes the answer is wait,sometimes it's something that we would not have imagined. I am praying right now Please keep praying for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and their families and the souls who have no one to pray for them. Also remember the people who are suffering from the weather tragedies. Ken

Jane
December 20, 2021 at 07:38 AM

Rebecca, I loved reading your post and it reminds me that when we make a plan, God laughs. I am praying for resolution of your situation and that God’s plan will be revealed!

December 20, 2021 at 06:33 AM

Yes indeed we all have events in our lives that we cannot understand why they happened. We may not be happy or even be angry or disappointed and wonder why me. At this point it is important to put ones faith and trust in the Lord. As time passes we can reflect on such events and understand how they fit into Gods plan.

Vicky G
December 20, 2021 at 10:33 AM

Well said! Thanks for the confirmation, it’s very encouraging.

December 20, 2021 at 05:44 AM

Thank you Terri. "For nothing will be impossible for God." He is able. Let the Baby Jesus come to each of us in a special way this Christmas!