December 17, 2021
Late Advent Weekday
Significant Lineage
The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
Matthew 1:1

A few years ago, I found the farm in Sweden that my great grandfather had left to seek his fortune in America. Standing on that soil, I felt connected with my ancestors. Today, thanks to online searches and even DNA technology, many people are discovering, and are fascinated by, their own genealogy.

Matthew wants his readers to know where Jesus came from. His lineage that goes back to Israel’s first king and the patriarch of the Jewish people. While many of the names may be unknown to us, and some of that lineage reflects not just the glories but the sins of Israel’s past, this list provides a context for understanding the significance of Jesus’s arrival.

Matthew wants to establish that Jesus is of his people and the culmination of their history. Jesus is the Messiah whom their prophets foretold and of whom their psalmists sung.

Lord, may we more deeply appreciate our fathers and mothers in faith.

- Greg Erlandson

Genesis 49:2, 8-10 • Psalm 72:1-4, 7-8, 17 Matthew 1:1-17

Comments

December 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM

Matthew intentionally presented Jesus as Messiah, the fulfillment of divine prophecies given from the beginning of humanity!!! *** Prophecies in the blessings of Jacob to Judah, the tribe of Jesus' lineage in Genesis 49:8, 10, "Judah, your brothers shall praise you; your hand shall be on the neck of your enemies; your father's sons shall bow down before you...The scepter (a symbol of sovereignty) shall not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between His feet, until tribute comes to Him; and to Him shall be the obedience of the peoples!" *** Matthew's genealogy reflects a delibrate structure. Several names or generations are omitted to arrange the list into 3 cycles of 14 generations each. Each group of 14 names represents a specific period of Israel's history. * 1:1-6a...From Abraham to David, approximately one thousand years. * 1:6b-11...From David to Babylon captivity, approximately four hundred tears. * 1:12-16...From the return of exile in Babylon until the Birth of Jesus approximately six hundred years. *** Hebrews consonants have a numerical value. In this case, the name "DVD" (David) has a numerical value of 4 plus 6 plus 4 equal 14! Matthew was emphasizing that Jesus was a Son of David, qualified to be Messiah. The three groups of 14 emphasized Jesus is greater than David himself. ******* Matthew's list, leading from Abraham to Jesus, emphasizes God's faithfulness over thousands of years. God kept His promises. Jesus was the rightful heir to the throne of David! *** Only Jesus, the second Adam, could reverse the curse brought by the first Adam. Through faith in Christ, people from every tribe, tongue, people, and nation can become a part of God's new humanity and His own family. *** This list of ancient names not only provides needed proof of Jesus' family line, but it also shines light on God's grace. The human lineage of Jesus is set against the divine origin of Jesus. God became Immanuel, "God with us!" *** God keeps His promises. Throughout the Old Testament, God called a people to Himself and promised a deliverer. At the right time and place in human history, the Son of God became a man. Only Jesus, the God-man, could satisfy the demands of God and pay the price for the sins of the entire world. Becuase of Jesus, the Holy Spirit indwells believers, giving new life that makes people a new creation! *** Are you experiencing the joy (Jesus , others, yourself) of walking in fellowship with God? God uses imperfect people to carry out His perfect plan. Everyone needs a Savior. In Christ, God provides the righteousness we lack! *** Joseph and Mary were given an inexpressive honor and privilege to be chosen by God as the human family to nurture His Son. With God's favor came immediate challenges and a personal call to faith! God lovingly and tenderly strengthened them to trust Him and surrender to His plan! *** God will do in us what He demands of us. You may not understand the whole plan God has for you, but He will faithfully give you what you need to take the next right step! ***What costly step of surrender and obedience is God asking of you? What unknown path is He asking you to take? Will you trust God with what you cannot explain or understand? Mary said, "I am the Lord's servant...May Your Word to me be fulfilled!" ******* God will build your faith and give you everything that obeying Him requires. God's power accomplishes what we cannot do in our human strength! Amen! (quoted from Bible Study Fellowship Matthew Lesson 1 notes) * Until Grace by Tauren Wells and Gary LeVox https://youtu.be/vqSvTJeGU0k Hallelujah :-):-):-)

December 17, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Famous For (I Believe) + Do It Again” by Tauren Wells featuring Jenn Johnson and Christine D’Clario https://youtu.be/hLCYTUaoqDM

December 17, 2021 at 12:32 PM

Starting my vacation today and getting my lists together in preparation for my family visiting. God, please protect all from the next round of super-contagious Omicron. Keep family gatherings joyful, healthy and protected. Thy will be done. Continued prayers for first responders, those finishing exams, those dealing with tragedies and terminal illness and those who have no one to pray for them…oh yes and those in purgatory, too! I’m not a robot.

December 17, 2021 at 09:53 AM

December 17, 2021 at 08:29 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts -by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

December 17, 2021 at 08:24 AM

December 17, 2021 at 08:02 AM

December 17, 2021 at 07:15 AM

EN, listen to the video reflection for today, as it explains the reason for listing Joseph’s ancestors. It helped me understand this better, too.

December 17, 2021 at 11:25 AM

Yes, that's it, Norm! https://bible.usccb.org/podcasts/video/2021-12-17-reflection-193

Norm
December 17, 2021 at 10:20 AM

azmom, is there a video on the Living Faith website? Are you referring to the daily video on USCCB website? Thank you for your suggestion.

December 17, 2021 at 06:43 AM

This passage always brings questions for me. Joseph was not blood relaition to Jesus and yet Mathew traces his family? Today is my last day of full time work, I think I need to prioritize more time with my bible and deeper reflection on its meaning. I was raised Catholic and fear that I have fallen into the routeen and away from the importance of a deeper and more personal relationship with everything in my life, especially my Lord. Lord Jesus please guide me in my retirement to follow the plans you have for me.

Bill L
December 17, 2021 at 05:29 PM

Well done, EN. Now is the time for you to relax and enjoy not being 'on the clock'. Frankly, I don't know how we had time to work we are so busy now. Look to God to find out your next path. Stay busy with something you've wanted to do. My prayers to you for your next chapter.

December 17, 2021 at 01:23 PM

You are correct, Joseph was not blood relation to Jesus! Matthew (Jewish audiences) points out His Jewish legal lineage through King David's son, Solomon, to Joseph (wife Mary). Luke (Gentile audiences) points out His Jewish biological lineage through King David's son, Nathan to Mary (husband Joseph). Whether legal or biological, Jesus is the Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament through the line of King David and fulfillment of the prophesies in the blessing of Jacob to Judah! Romans 1:1-6, "Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the Gospel of God—the Gospel He promised beforehand through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures regarding His Son, Who as to His earthly life was a descendant of David, and Who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by His resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord. Through Him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for His name’s sake. And you also are among those Gentiles who are called to belong to Jesus Christ!" Amen!

Jane
December 17, 2021 at 12:27 PM

EN - Congratulations on the next chapter beginning and seeking to fulfill your desire to know God in a different and deeper way! Wishing you some deep breaths and uninterrupted quiet time to develop that practice. I am trying to figure out when my days at the office will be numbered as well!

Eleanor Pierre
December 17, 2021 at 08:50 AM

Welcome to the retirees group.It is such an honor and privilege to be able to do so. Now you would be able to devote more time to your spiritual self,and discover the true meaning of living with the Man Christ Jesus

December 17, 2021 at 08:23 AM

EN I will pray for you this morning at Mass. What a beautiful day sunrise is peaking over the trees. I am grateful for the wonders of God, and for the living faith family. Please keep the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and their families in your prayers. Special prayer for Alex a grandson of my friend. Ken

Katj
December 17, 2021 at 08:20 AM

Congratulations EN, on your retirement! Now you will have more time to sit and pray with Jesus. What a wonderful time to look forward to!

Christine
December 17, 2021 at 07:50 AM

A beautiful prayer for your next chapter, EN - and congratulations on your retirement!

azmom
December 17, 2021 at 07:01 AM

EN, you have taken the first huge step in your spiritual journey. The fact that you yearn to have a closer relationship with our Lord shows that you realize something important is missing in your life. Mary will help you, too. Try starting your day with the Living Faith site and pray the Rosary each morning. I will pray for you, too. It is a beautiful journey and God will be your guide! God bless.