November 25, 2021
St. Catherine of Alexandria; Thanksgiving Day
We Offer Thanks—Eucharistia
Let all your works give you thanks, O LORD,
and let your faithful ones bless you.
Psalm 145:10

Several years ago, I was in Rome for Thanksgiving, and I went to Mass at Santa Susanna, the American parish, at that time. Mass was, indeed, full of Americans, from the U.S. ambassador to the usual crew of tour guides and English teachers.

Now, I am not, instinctively, the most patriotic person on earth, but I’ll admit that as we began to sing the recessional—O beautiful, for spacious skies—my throat tightened, and by the time we got to America! America!…yes, there were tears. And I wasn’t the only one.

What a complicated thing gratitude is. We’re grateful for where we are and grateful for where we have been, even if none of it is perfect. In communion with those around the earth and in heaven, we offer thanks—eucharistia—most of all, for what our tears of yearning gratitude are about—the loving God who put us here, wherever we are, and will, eventually, bring us home to him, giving thanks forevermore.

Generous God, thank you for your blessings.

- Amy Welborn

Sirach 50:22-24 • Psalm 145:2-11 • 1 Corinthians 1:3-9 Luke 17:11-19 (Mass Readings for Thanksgiving Day)

Comments

November 25, 2021 at 09:06 PM

Amen! Posting this late as we were up early to travel! Thankful for this wonderful family of faith. Prayers and praying for everyone’s intentions. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

November 25, 2021 at 10:57 AM

Amen. Happy Blessed Thanksgiving to my LF family!

November 25, 2021 at 10:11 AM

I am thankful and grateful for the love and support of the LFF. May God continue to bless us all. I will keep all your prayer request in mind and prayer today.

November 25, 2021 at 09:56 AM

“Even if none of it is perfect”….that’s the piece that was God’s voice to me Amy, thank you. Jo, my comment yesterday was in response to your prayer needs for Kathy. She and the family is being prayed for this Thanksgiving day—strength and faith to them all. My prayers this day are also for all humanity, you each are special and make a difference in God’s world and may you be thankful for it. Blessings and prayers to all.

November 25, 2021 at 09:43 AM

*** Ten Thousand Reasons (Bless The Lord) by Matt Redman https://youtu.be/vSxocnIaN0A *** I will proclaim Your greatness, my God and King; I will thank You forever and ever. Every day I will thank You; I will praise You forever and ever. The Lord is great and is to be highly praised; Your greatness is beyond understanding. What You have done will be praised from one generation to the next; we will proclaim Your mighty acts. They will speak of your glory and majesty, and I will meditate on Your wonderful deeds. People will speak of Your mighty deeds, and I will proclaim Your greatness. We will tell about all Your goodness and sing about Your kindness. The Lord is loving and merciful, slow to become angry and full of constant love. You are good to everyone and has compassion on all You made. All your creatures, Lord, will praise You, and all Your people will give You thanks. We will speak of the glory of Your royal power and tell of Your might, so that everyone will know Your mighty deeds and the glorious majesty of Your Kingdom. Your rule is eternal, and You are King forever. The Lord is faithful to His promises; You are merciful in all Your acts. You help those who are in trouble; You lift those who have fallen. All living things look hopefully to You, and You give us food when we need it. You give us enough and satisfy the needs of all. The Lord is righteous in all You do, merciful in all Your acts. You are near to those who call to You, who call to You with sincerity. You supply the needs of those who honor You; You hear our cries and saves us. You protect everyone who loves You, but You will destroy the wicked. I will always praise the Lord; let all Your creatures praise Your Holy Name forever. Amen! (Psalm 145) *** Praying for God's grace and mercy upon our sins daily. May my family see Jesus more clearly, love Him more dearly and follow Him more nearly during this season! May the Holy Spirit help us understand the ultimate miracle for everyone and anyone is Jesus forgiving our sins and paid for them once and for all on the cross. Only Jesus can set people free from sin and death! In Jesus' powerful Name every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Philippians 2:10), I pray in agreement with the Holy Spirit! Amen!

November 25, 2021 at 08:57 AM

Amy, this devotion brought tears to my eyes. I will always keep that song in my heart through the good and the bad. I am grateful for all the many blessings that the Lord has given me and will share those today with my family. A beautiful Thanksgiving day and continued prayers for all that we share God's love with.

Amy Welborn
November 25, 2021 at 09:05 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

November 25, 2021 at 08:49 AM

Amen! I am so thankful for the many blessings of our Lord. Happy Thanksgiving to all LF Family.

November 25, 2021 at 08:41 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Continued prayers for all who asked and those who haven’t. Praying for those that are alone on this day and every day. Full of gratefulness for our bounty of good food and family.

November 25, 2021 at 08:27 AM

The Lord’s Blessings be upon us all on this day and every day and may we be greatful for all that we have. Amen

November 25, 2021 at 08:11 AM

God is good all the Time. Blessings to our LF family.

November 25, 2021 at 08:02 AM

LF Family, I don’t know any of you, but I do know that I can ask any of you to pray for me and without hesitation, each of you would- and add inspiration. I love this family! May our mighty God bless each and every one of us and our families on this Thankful day.

November 25, 2021 at 08:34 AM

We will know them by their love. Living faith family shows love in our prayers and requests. Share morning prayer. Have a healthy Thanksgiving Ken

November 25, 2021 at 07:56 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! May Gods blessings shine down on everyone.

November 25, 2021 at 07:02 AM

Thank you Amy…I love the “even though none of it is perfect.” Yes, gratitude is complicated. There is a path there. We will find it. Continued prayers for Kathy, Jo’s niece and Kasya - my friend, and for all those who will go hungry and alone today on a day of plenty for so many. Happy Thanksgiving to all LFF! I am grateful for you and my family and my day in the kitchen laughing and baking pies.

November 25, 2021 at 06:53 AM

Amen. Happy Thanksgiving to the Living Faith Family! Looking forward to all the bountiful food that our Lord has provided :)

November 25, 2021 at 06:31 AM

Thank you for the wonderful reflection. Happy Thanksgiving one and all. Grateful and humbled. Peace.

November 25, 2021 at 04:37 AM

Great reflection. Amy, and Happy Thanksgiving to all the LF family...Thanks be to God!

Amy Welborn
November 25, 2021 at 09:05 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to post! Happy Thanksgiving to you!