November 1, 2021
All Saints
Great Distress, Greater Trust
Revelation 7:14

For me, the time of great distress included ending a twenty-year civil marriage, moving to a city where I knew almost no one and arranging to repay more than $100,000 in credit card debt. Maybe yours included illness or betrayal or death. Our lives and those of our beautiful saints, canonized or not, are full of challenges others might consider insurmountable.

There is only one way to survive the times of great distress without our hearts turning bitter and our souls being numbed. We embrace the Cross and cling to the hope of eternal life. We ask for the intercession of those who suffered before us and emerged victorious. We trust in God because it is all any of us or them ever really had—and that trust is all any of us really need.

All you holy people, intercede for me with the Almighty, that my robes, too, may be made white.

- Melanie Rigney

Revelation 7:2-4, 9-14 • Psalm 24:1-6 1 John 3:1-3 • Matthew 5:1-12a

Comments

November 1, 2021 at 04:10 PM

Beautiful reflections from everyone today. Thank you, Melanie, for starting us off. On this "All Saints Day" remember that there are Saintly people we encounter on a daily basis. As Ken reminds us, there are the essential workers (first responders, doctors, nurses) but also grocery workers, public service folks, ushers at our church. All it takes is a smile or a kind word to make their day. To all in need of our prayers I will include you in my nightly rosary.

Valerie Poland Respond to comment
November 1, 2021 at 03:43 PM

Thank you for keeping us at the foot of the cross. The stories are often difficult, but the gains are real and powerful. God bless you, Melanie!

Melanie
November 3, 2021 at 09:38 PM

Thanks, Val! Blessings!

November 1, 2021 at 01:38 PM

Praise God for the many Blessings of October and Thank Him for the many Blessings to come this November! Let's also remember we are Blessed to be a Blessing!

November 1, 2021 at 11:14 AM

Dearest Melanie and all. When I read your reflection today, I was taken back to 1993. I was in the same place you spoke of today, but I was still in my same town so I was surrounded by friends. True friends are still with me today. Divorce, staggering debt, a mortgage, alone. When these things happen, this great distress, we can either wallow in the mire or survive. Only with God can we get through. We can ALWAYS count on the Lord for comfort. Thank you so much for sharing. Your willingness to get to the hard stuff will help many. Blessings for a wonderful autumn day in God's love.

Melanie
November 1, 2021 at 02:47 PM

AMEN, Michelle! God is so good! --Melanie

November 1, 2021 at 10:27 AM

Thank You for your prayers of healing grace. Let us be taken into His (Yeshua’s) beauty and grace in all seasons for the trying of our faith brings us face to face with the Holy Spirit. Wrap your arms around the Holy Spirit all-the-way around until we embrace ourselves and HOLD-ON. I’m not married yet so all my boyfriend gets is a little kisses and hugs, PERIOD! So, I find myself, in times of trials, hugging on the Holy Spirit; He is our comforter and what an intimate setting: sitting alone in my prayer closet hugging our Holy Spirit...after all, God has first place, He will cozy up to you and soothe all things. Love on Him and see for your self.

November 1, 2021 at 09:16 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Jane
November 1, 2021 at 02:53 PM

A sinner (aren’t we all), For some reason, I always focus on “Your kingdom must come now.” And “….all evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.” Thank you for reminding us.

November 1, 2021 at 09:12 AM

Melanie, thank you! Seems your heartfelt sharing has touch many of us. I have found so much inspiration lately in everyone’s posts here on LF. In my little world I struggle with issues no one around me can understand so I feel left behind and alone especially in a place where I am separated by thousands of miles from family and long ago friends. When one of us can say God has seen us through and Christ has pulled us up and the Holy Spirit has guided us it encourages and strengthens so many of us other believers to continue to trust and look for what and where our Lord wants us to be. I feel joined in prayer here “where more than 2 or 3 gather”. May He hear our prayers and bless us!

Jane
November 1, 2021 at 02:51 PM

Vicky, We see you. Lifting you today.

November 1, 2021 at 09:09 AM

November 1, 2021 at 08:42 AM

This devotional spoke to my heart. I, too, had a 20 year marriage that ended and I also moved to a large city. I was afraid of the traffic, the crowds, and the faster pace of everything. I cried from loneliness and sorrow every night. I clung to God and he brought me through that troubled time. I still cling to Him for help each and every day. God is my rock and my fortress!!

November 1, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Azmom You have the living faith family we support each other. Holy spirit is always available. I will pray for you right now Ken

Melanie
November 1, 2021 at 10:20 AM

AZMom--AMEN, my sister in Christ!

November 1, 2021 at 08:24 AM

Blessings and Distresses...Are they different? Are they the same? Matthew 5:1-12a *** the poor in spirit, who mourn, the meek, who hunger and thirst for righteousness, the merciful, the clean of heart, the peacemakers, who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, and when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you falsely because of Jesus! *** Theirs is the Kingdom of heaven, they will be comforted, they will be comforted, they will inherit the land, they will be satisfied, they will be shown mercy, they will see God, they will be called children of God, theirs is the Kingdom of heaven, and your reward will be great in heaven! *** Blessings? Distresses? Both? Definitely both! As I come through these distresses, I will experience these blessings! But only with the power of the blood of the Lamb and the guidance of the Holy Spirit and not on my own sacrifices and strength! Revelation 7:14, "I (John) said to Him, “My Lord, You are the One Who knows.” He said to me, “These are the ones who have survived the time of great distress; they have washed their robes and made them white in the Blood of the Lamb.” ******* Here is what is going on in *** James 1:2-4, "Dear brothers and sisters when troubles (Distresses) of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy (Blessed). For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing!" *** Here is the picture - to be more like Jesus through this process in 1 John 3:1b-3, "The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him (Jesus). Beloved, we are God’s children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when it is revealed we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. Everyone who has this hope based on Him makes himself pure, as He is pure!" *** It is not me who did, is doing or will do all the work in the distresses, but Him Who did, is doing and will do the work in me so I was, is and will be blessed to be more and more like Jesus :-) :-) :-) Who am I by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/mBcqria2wmg

November 1, 2021 at 08:16 AM

Yes Melanie, I believe we must all pass some sort of a stress test in this life as we know it. And, we can either embrace it by turning to God or go it alone, and as you say, become a bitter and angry soul. Continued prayers to all and a blessed first day of November.

November 1, 2021 at 08:31 AM

Yes Melanie and Sandy the Lord is a great place to turn. Problems will always be around. Peace and quiet and reflections help to hear the word of the Lord. Also like to share this. Problems happen but not all the people see problems the same way. Some people are overcome by problems others overcome problems. Some people are left bitter. Others are left better. Some people face their challenges with fear. Others with faith. You don't have a choice about having problems. But you do have a choice about what you do with them. Choose faith, be like the others. Paraphrasing Max Lucado Keep the souls in purgatory and firefighters and essential workers in your prayers Ken

November 1, 2021 at 08:09 AM

November 1, 2021 at 07:35 AM

Amen. Thank you for sharing Melanie. It was and is when I surrender and trust deeply that I receive many graces and peace. I still struggle and need to remind myself daily to trust especially during times of great distress. But in those times is when I have experienced the intercession of many saints. I rely on their intercession daily and say my own personal litany of saints daily on my way to work. Prayers for all. All you holy men and women pray for us! Jesus I trust in you.

November 1, 2021 at 07:16 AM

Thank you for sharing that Melanie. There are so many hills to climb in life and some are much taller than others. At some point we surrender the height to God and cling to the trust rope to keep climbing. Lord, be with me today.

JAM
November 1, 2021 at 11:07 AM

Climbing hills is no longer part of my exercise routine :) The view from the mountain top was beautiful, but most of my growth has taken place in the valleys! God has been with me through it all, even when I sometimes turned away. His grace always brought me back.

November 1, 2021 at 07:15 AM

Heavenly Father, guide me to You. Help me put my trust in You. Amen!

Melanie
November 1, 2021 at 02:55 PM

JAM--LOVE this! Peace, Melanie

November 1, 2021 at 06:20 AM

November 1, 2021 at 06:17 AM

Thank you for sharing your insurmountable challenge Melanie and praise God for leading you through to the other side of it!

Melanie
November 1, 2021 at 10:16 AM

Marko, your and the others' comments brought tears to my eyes! Thank you all... I pray for the LF family each week. Without God, we can do nothing--with God, anything is possible! Peace, Melanie

November 1, 2021 at 04:59 AM

Thank You to all the Holy Ones ( The Saints) who have gone before us, and now intercede with our Lord on our behalf. Help us to be more like you. Unending faith and trust in the one true God .