October 27, 2021
God Is Good
Let me sing of the LORD, “He has been good to me.”
Psalm 13:6

Sometimes when I am on retreat, I write at the top of a paper, “25 ways God has been good to me this past year.” Then I begin to list some of the ways: good health, a new friend, opportunities for Mass, ample food, orchids in the hallway where I live, time for prayer, the retreatants I’ve come to know, the frequent laughter in my life, regular challenges to my generosity and patience, the variety of birds at the bird feeders, old favorite songs and a few new ones, good books I’ve read, the persistent call to work for greater justice, my love for learning, freedoms I often take for granted, living and working with hope-filled individuals.

Perhaps that’s why this line above from Psalm 13 stood out for me today. The truth is, at the end of some of my letters, I often write these words: “God has been good to Melannie!”

How has God been good to you lately?

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Romans 8:26-30 • Psalm 13:4-6 Luke 13:22-30

Comments

January 16, 2022 at 07:13 PM

For my mother, who is one of the strongest, smartest women I know! ????????

Erin
January 16, 2022 at 07:15 PM

Note: Those question marks are heart emojis! <3

October 28, 2021 at 06:02 PM

God is Good All the Time, All the Time, God is Good, That is God's Nature, Awesome

cheryl johnson Respond to comment
October 28, 2021 at 05:49 PM

God has blessed me with loving family & friends, and a wonderful church family, too.

October 28, 2021 at 07:55 AM

Quinn, sending you continued courage and strength in finding your way.

October 28, 2021 at 01:53 AM

God has been good to me this week by giving me the opportunity, the courage, and the support system to leave an abusive relationship.

October 27, 2021 at 10:58 PM

Thank you, Lord, for sending Your beloved Son Jesus to die on the cross for me so I can spend eternity with You!!! I echo David’s song of deliverance and thankfulness in 2 Samuel 22:7, 17-20, “In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I called. From Your temple You heard my voice, and my cry came to Your ears…You sent from on high, You took me; You drew me out of many waters. You rescued me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support. You brought me out into a broad place; You rescued me, because You delighted in me!” Amen!

October 27, 2021 at 07:41 PM

God has blessed me with a loving family, meaningful work that sustains us, a faith community that lives according to God’s love, and hope for the days ahead.

EM 1
October 27, 2021 at 07:52 PM

Amen! I too try to start my day with joy and gratefulness. I’m grateful for my faith, family, health and this beautiful community.

Bryan Dabugsiy Respond to comment
October 27, 2021 at 06:45 PM

God has blessed me with a loving and understanding family ... God is good!

October 27, 2021 at 04:49 PM

What a wonderful response to your question today, Sr. Melannie. These are the most I've seen since coming to this forum several years ago. I, too, have been blessed with a loving wife, grown kids, and many grand and a few great-grand kids. But the best is my Daughter and Son-in-law slowly working together to repair their relationship. With your continued prayers they may see this through. To those who commented today, keep it up. We are here for each other.

October 27, 2021 at 01:20 PM

Before I even open my eyes to the light of the day, I am aware of the gift I am being given, thanking Him for His inexhaustible mercy in my entire life!

October 27, 2021 at 12:28 PM

Thanks Lord, for my Mum’s good health to celebrate her 85th birthday today. Also, my good health and good life I live

October 27, 2021 at 11:41 AM

I have been very grateful for the opportunity to travel to some lovely National Parks recently. I am so blessed by the beauty of the natural world!

October 27, 2021 at 11:22 AM

My prayer every morning - Thank you God for having preserved me during the night. I'm grateful for the adversity I've faced in my life because it has led me on an amazing faith journey. I'm grateful that God led me to my husband 41 years ago! I'm grateful for our 3 children, 2 grandchildren and another one expected in January. Thank you God!!

October 27, 2021 at 10:38 PM

Amen :-)

October 27, 2021 at 11:18 AM

For as long as I can remember, when someone asks a question like this, I immediately go into test anxiety! But I've learned to keep it simple. When I wake up I thank God for another day. I don't know what he has in mind for me, but after my prayer of thanks I say, "here I am, Lord, I come to do your will." Thank you for the beautiful reflection.

October 27, 2021 at 11:00 AM

Today I am grateful for the rain that fell last night and the wind that cleared the air; the sunshine and clear skies; and another day to enjoy and find joy. Amen

John J Howe (Jack) Respond to comment
October 27, 2021 at 09:58 AM

I am 75. 18 months ago I received "too great a gift", a living donor kidney from our 37 yr old son. This is the latest in a life of blessings of work, ecumenical marriage, two precious sons, their wives, two precious grandsons, friends, health and on and on. I give thanks for meeting and working with Sr. Helen Peter, SND during her time as DRE in Jefferson. An unforgettable woman.

October 27, 2021 at 09:48 AM

God has blessed me with two wonderful boys, two precious grandboys and a beautiful daughter-in-law. I love my home with plenty of His natural light to grow my plants. I can sit back now after retiring and coming from many hardships that the Lord saw me through. I'm blessed to share and receive so many inspirations from Living Faith! Thank you God! I offer my continued prayers to everyone!

October 27, 2021 at 09:37 AM

In so many wonderful ways. Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

October 27, 2021 at 09:31 AM

My answer to Sr Melannie's thoughtful question of How has God been good to me today? : "Another heartbeat, one beat at a time." Richard Dunn, Longtime Living Faith Subscriber

October 27, 2021 at 09:13 AM

God is good.... He gave us a cool nun in Chardon to provoke our thinking.

October 27, 2021 at 09:07 AM

Oh my goodness! What a door you have opened Sr. Melanie. So many responses today of thankfulness-so many more than our usual days. Very uplifting to see that deep down although we may be a people that grumble sometimes, at heart we are a group so very grateful for our few or many blessings whatever they may be. So encouraging and certainly strengthening to feel such positivity. For those that request prayers (noted yours today Ken) know that each of you by name is in mine daily. Some days I’m overwhelmed with the hardships, thank you all for boosting the gratefulness in my life today.

Donna
October 27, 2021 at 09:47 AM

Yes we certainly bring out the good and bad in each other. This outpouring of letting ourselves see and look for the good, is contagious. I was smiling at all the comments. It is the same with grumbling - isn’t it? Let us look at the things from above - the good.

October 27, 2021 at 09:01 AM

Thank you Sister Melannie for these words of encouragement!

October 27, 2021 at 09:00 AM

My wife died unexpectedly nearly three years ago. God sent an amazing group of people to help me, initially to grieve and then rebuild my life. He has me at a new starting point. I am retired, living in a one-level home and working one day a week in the business of a longtime friend. Life is good !

October 27, 2021 at 08:58 AM

Grateful for faith, family, friends, good health, the roof over our heads, the food on our tables, the clothes on our backs, meaningful work and careers. Thank you, Lord!

Margaret
October 27, 2021 at 04:31 PM

Mary O - all of the same are on my list of blessings and in my daily prayers. I would add that God has been amazing at providing for me and my son financially - in ways only he can. Money would show up just when I needed it (a refund, reimbursement, promotion at work, etc), sometimes just what was needed and sometimes so much more than I feel worthy of receiving. His plan is so much better than mine!!

October 27, 2021 at 08:53 AM

Thank you. Sr. Melanie. I'm grateful for the lessons nature teaches us about God's love.

October 27, 2021 at 08:47 AM

I thank God everyday for the ability to face each day in all its blessings and challenges.

October 27, 2021 at 08:34 AM

I am thankful for the living faith family and the joy and inspiration I receive from them. I am thankful for the opportunity to attend Mass in the morning. Thankful for the sunrise this morning and being able to watch the birds in the back yard. I am thankful for the family I have and the opportunity to watch my grandchildren grow. We had a priest who would start his homily with "God is good " then the people would reply "all the time " He then repeated " all the time " people would say "God is good " I miss him. Living faith family please pray for me today's is my first day back doing Feedmore. Living faith family please keep the souls in purgatory and the essential workers in your prayers. Ken

Manuela Curran Respond to comment
October 27, 2021 at 08:17 AM

I am thankful, that God has been good to me by helping me become stronger in dealing with arthritis pain. and being able to wake up each and every morning. l

October 27, 2021 at 08:09 AM

Amen. :)

October 27, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Sr. Melannie, thank you for sharing that beautiful reflection. I love reading about your gratitude for the smaller things, their beauty, their simplicity…all of which are joy inducing. The gratitude for my family who keeps me grounded, my loving husband and my children who give me the joy of parenting, a wonderful and loving dog curled at my feet needing to be petted and loved. My job which provides for personal growth and opportunities to learn. My health!!!! The continued desire to know God. The blessings of reading about and sharing with the Living Faith Community.

October 27, 2021 at 08:07 AM

God is good to me when I wake up early and have time to pray in the silence of early morning. I’m filled with gratitude when I have the energy for a walk by our nearby lake and see the beautiful fall colors, or sitting on our front porch and watching the goldfinches eat the thistle. Thank you Lord for my husband, my children, my home, our work, the ability to read LF and enjoy the “company” of the LFF comments and prayers; and of course our 2 dogs :)

October 27, 2021 at 08:06 AM

I am thankful for my lovely wife Lynda, who suffers from a stroke (Jan 12/18), in that she is well enough to live with me and is getting better every day!

Jane
October 27, 2021 at 08:09 AM

Lifting Linda in prayer today!

October 27, 2021 at 07:57 AM

After a long life of hardships and disappointments, I thank God that I am now in a place where I can view every day as a wonderful adventure.

Constance Durel Respond to comment
October 27, 2021 at 07:46 AM

I am thankful for the Holy Spirit coming to me in the middle of the night bringing me peace and letting me know all is going to work out with my health issues.

October 27, 2021 at 07:44 AM

God has given me a job that allows time for daily Mass. He has provided a new Adoration Chapel close to my house. God is good.

October 27, 2021 at 07:39 AM

Every day I write in my gratitude journal. There is never a lack of things for which to be grateful to God. I am so grateful for my friends, family, home, country and the opportunity to serve God‘s people. Today I am particularly grateful for my friend, Marian who is now an angel around God’s throne.

October 27, 2021 at 07:28 AM

God healed me of cancer last year. Through my faith in Him and the healing grace of his son, Jesus. God blesses me every day!

October 27, 2021 at 07:24 AM

The Lord has blessed me with a beautiful faith filled wife. A wonderful home, 3 grandkids and a never ending array of challenges. Amen

October 27, 2021 at 07:20 AM

The Lord has been good to me today with a good night’s sleep and presented me with a day of opportunities and challenges. My cup overflows.

October 27, 2021 at 06:47 AM

God has been good to me by always calling me to mass through my commitment to his music ministry.

October 27, 2021 at 06:46 AM

I thank God for my new friend at Bible Study. I thank God for Father K. Who is a very Holy man.

October 27, 2021 at 06:37 AM

I awoke another day, thank you lord

Shirley Wicker Respond to comment
October 27, 2021 at 06:29 AM

Blessings without number. I am grateful for my entire life, both struggles and joys.

Dianne DiDomizio Respond to comment
October 27, 2021 at 06:28 AM

A wonderful, positive thing to do!

October 27, 2021 at 06:04 AM

October 27, 2021 at 05:33 AM

The Lord has blessed me with a husband who loves me and who is a man I can trust. The Lord has provided me with a place to teach where I can pray with my students and help them see the goodness of the Lord!

October 27, 2021 at 01:47 AM

God has indeed been good to me today. There has been soaking blessed rain overnight, I have awoken to another day of blessed work where I can do what I love most, public speaking and training. The birds are busy foraging and seem extra joyful. I have the means to communicate via the internet and have access to Living Faith.