October 1, 2021
St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus
Honest Self-Examination
From the time the Lord led our ancestors out of the land of Egypt until the present day, we have been disobedient to the Lord, our God, and only too ready to disregard his voice.
Baruch 1:19

Sitting in our large stone, echo-prone cathedral during Mass, I heard a phone. It wasn’t a full-out ring, but that pulsing, vibrating sound of an almost “silenced” phone. It sounded as if it were coming from across the church. I waited, smirking, for the owner to turn it off. It kept going.

Whatever. Persistent but faint, it sounded far away. Not my problem. Annoying, but not my problem.

Then I felt my purse…vibrating. Oh.

Who knows where the problems in life begin, where they’re rooted? As the people of Israel were able to admit their own culpability, so should I—examining my own life first—instead of instinctively casting blame “out there.”

Merciful Lord, I place myself in your presence, honestly.

- Amy Welborn

Baruch 1:15-22 • Psalm 79:1-5, 8-9 Luke 10:13-16

Comments

October 1, 2021 at 08:22 PM

Your reflections are always excellent Amy, thank you!

Amy Welborn
October 2, 2021 at 08:29 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words!

October 1, 2021 at 09:45 AM

Honest Self- Examination...Hmmmm! *** Am I more like Chorazin and Bethsaida and Capernaum (where the Jews were) or Tyre and Sidon (where the Gentiles were)? Luke 10:13-14, "Jesus said to them, “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would long ago have repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. But it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment than for you." *** "Jesus used the pagan cities of Tyre and Sidon to highlight the way God’s chosen people refused Him. The Israelites of Jesus’ day believed themselves to be righteously following God, yet they did not recognize God in their midst. Jesus, in essence, shamed Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum—they, who were supposed to be God’s representatives on earth, refused to listen; yet pagan cities would have quickly repented. Jesus’ comments demonstrate the importance of responsibility and stewardship. “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked” (Luke 12:48)." https://www.gotquestions.org/Tyre-and-Sidon.html *** Reverse missionary is where other 3rd world Christians (Tyre and Sidon?) are coming to America (Chorazin and Bethsaida and Capernaum?) to proclaim Jesus Christ! ******* Today when I hear Your voice, don't let me harden my heart! Help me, O God my Savior, Jeus Christ, because of the glory of Your Name; Deliver me and pardon my sins for Your Name’s sake! Amen!!! (Psalm 95:8; 79:9)

October 1, 2021 at 09:19 AM

Amen. Reading this my cheeks burned red thinking of how often I’m also quick to pass judgment or blame. Lord have mercy! St Therese pray for us!

October 1, 2021 at 08:45 AM

Thank you Amy, great analogy.

Amy Welborn
October 1, 2021 at 11:19 AM

Thank *you* for the kind words!

October 1, 2021 at 08:19 AM

Amen Amen I am a sinner. In need of God’s mercy. Thank you Amy for pointing out how easy we do pass it to someone else. Let us be the best version of our self’s we can be. Blessing to all. Note on the young man who had the torn aorta and open heart surgery at 39 He’s home in Therpy and doing as well as he can be right now. Thanks for your prayers. God is good all the time

October 1, 2021 at 08:14 AM

October 1, 2021 at 08:04 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for the Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

October 1, 2021 at 07:41 AM

Amen…

October 1, 2021 at 07:22 AM

Oh Amy, thank you for your reflection. Of course I’m that person. Of course I’m judging and blaming and so many times after it happens and I am aware (brave?) enough to ask, “What was my role in this?” I know or discover I was part of where it began. So many time I don’t de-escalate, but antagonize. Lord, give me the grace to move us through mercifully instead of ratcheting us up arrogantly.

Amy Welborn
October 1, 2021 at 11:19 AM

Great thoughts! Thank you for sharing!

Vicky G
October 1, 2021 at 09:06 AM

You made me think today Jane! Many times I don’t take the blame for the sin I commit in escalating instead of de-escalating. Because I never had the intention of conflict I many times don’t recognize my part in sin where I contribute ever so slightly by no action or as you said escalating action. Thank you for bringing this to mind.