September 13, 2021
St. John Chrysostom
Under Our Roof
And Jesus went with them, but when he was only a short distance from the house, the centurion sent friends to tell him, “Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof. …but say the word and let my servant be healed.”
Luke 7:6, 7

The centurion in this Gospel story had built a synagogue for the Jews. Knowing them so well, he understood that going into a Gentile’s house would make Jesus unclean. He believed Jesus had God’s power to heal his cherished servant with a simple word.

We pray with that centurion’s words all these centuries later at Mass before receiving Communion. It can be a beautiful connection to that healing long ago, but it is crucial that it does not evoke such a sense of our unworthiness that we are kept from experiencing how Jesus delights to come under our roof in the Eucharist.

Jesus, please heal any lack of understanding of how completely your love embraces us as we receive you.

- Patricia Livingston

Comments

September 13, 2021 at 03:30 PM

This encourages me and grounds me as I prepare for the BSF student class starting this Wednesday in person :-) in *** 1 Timothy 2:5-6a, "For there is one God. There is also one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, Who gave Himself as ransom for all!" *** John 3:16, "God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone who believes in Him might have eternal life!" *** Luke 7:9, "When Jesus heard this He was amazed at him and, turning, said to the crowd following Him, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” ******* What does Jesus say about my faith? Let Faith Arise https://youtu.be/AmzRA7xsNHY

September 13, 2021 at 10:37 AM

Salina, when had our Zoom Meeting last year, I believe you may have had Tim’s email address. If you do, could you reach out to him. Many of us miss him, and are concerned for his well being. You and Tim are the pillars of our LF Family! God Bless Us And All Who We Love!

September 13, 2021 at 03:15 PM

Pam, I just sent an email to Tim per your request!

September 13, 2021 at 10:18 AM

Amen. Prayers for LFF requests.

September 13, 2021 at 10:14 AM

September 13, 2021 at 09:31 AM

Lord, make me worthy to let You under my roof....so that I may be healed. A blessed and beautiful day and my continued prayers and peace for all LF family.

September 13, 2021 at 09:02 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, Kin of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

September 13, 2021 at 07:45 AM

Please pray for your brothers and sisters in Louisiana who have gone through a horrible hurricane that was so very powerful it ripped apart homes and businesses! We have many here who are homeless now! The wind was ferocious! Remember us in your prayers, please.May the Lord help us to be patient and kind as we try to rebuild again!

Kim
September 14, 2021 at 04:52 AM

I am praying for those who lost their homes due to Hurricane Ida.

September 13, 2021 at 08:24 AM

Jo I will pray for the people in Louisiana and let us not forget the people in the west who are suffering from the wild fires and drought. Today is my oldest son birthday Mass is being said for him. Yes I miss Tim and his comments. I am reading Saint Maria Faustina diary every morning, because of his recommendation Joann you are still in my prayers. Ken

azmom
September 13, 2021 at 08:15 AM

I will pray for all of the people affected by the hurricane, which are many. I was born in Louisiana, so that state and its people hold a special place in my heart. Hang in there, Jo. Prayers are sent your way. God bless.

September 13, 2021 at 07:34 AM

Thank you for the beautiful reflection Patricia! What it says to me is I know I’m not worthy, but I believe - I believe You will make me so. Amen.

September 13, 2021 at 07:22 AM

Amen…

September 13, 2021 at 01:05 AM

Patricia, your devotions are immediately recognizable and inspirational! Thank you. Where is “Tim”? His daily comments enrich this community.