September 12, 2021
Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time
All Our Brothers and Sisters
If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?
James 2:15-16

These verses invite us to think beyond our familial bonds. We have “brothers and sisters” all around us suffering every kind of hardship. They may not be blood relatives, but they are in need. And as Christians, we are called to do more than wish them a good day.

We are the hands of God, the eyes, the ears of God. When we see people in need, we must respond with whatever aid we can provide. It includes good wishes, it includes prayer, it includes offering whatever practical support we can provide.

Our brothers and sisters are everywhere. Wish them peace and a good meal and a warm place to lay their head, and then help make those things happen.

- Paul Pennick

Isaiah 50:4c-9a • Psalm 116:1-6, 8-9 James 2:14-18 • Mark 8:27-35

Comments

September 12, 2021 at 09:38 PM

Thank you for this inspiring devotion. I pray that I may see and act in ways that support others on this life journey.

September 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM

James 2:17:18, "So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead. Indeed someone might say, “You have faith and I have works.” Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works!" *** Indeed I have friends who claim to be Christians and have no works. And I have friends who are not Christians and have plenty of good works. How do faith and good works relate to one another as James mentioned? How does it line up with the whole of Scripture? *** Here is what I learn: *Faith without work is dead! * Work without faith is dead! * Faith brings about work! * Work does not bring about faith! * Faith results in work! * Work does not result in faith! * Faith alone (in Jesus Christ) is the foundation and cornerstone and work is the house (built with the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit given by the faith in Jesus Christ) we can see! *** This is where I learn it from: *John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life!" * James 2:24, "You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone." * Ephesians 2:8-9, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith (alone)—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works (alone), so that no one can boast!" * James 2:26, "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead!" * Romans 4:5, "But people are counted as righteous, not because of their work, but because of their faith in God Who forgives sinners!" Remember the thief dying on the cross next to Jesus...he had no time to show any work of his faith! * Galatians 2:16, "Yet we know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the law. And we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we might be made right with God because of our faith in Christ, not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law.” * Philippians 3:9, "and (I) become one with Him (Jesus Christ). I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with Himself depends on faith!" ******* Salvation is by faith alone, but that faith will never be alone! "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world!" Amen! (Galatians 6:14)

Gayle
September 12, 2021 at 10:41 AM

Faith in God and relationship with Father, Son and Spirit makes us want to do pleasing works for family, friends and strangers. Of course!

September 12, 2021 at 10:23 AM

September 12, 2021 at 09:15 AM

September 12, 2021 at 08:41 AM

This reflections brings to mind a quote that St. Francis is attributed to (although there is speculation that he didn’t actually say it :0)), “Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary, use words.” Would someone accuse me of being Christian by my works? I pray that it’s so.

September 12, 2021 at 08:07 AM