September 11, 2021
From the Goodness in Our Hearts
A good person out of the store of goodness in his heart produces good…
Luke 6:45

Where were you on 9-11-2001? If you are old enough to remember, you know exactly where you were when you heard the horrific news of the attacks on the Twin Towers and beyond. But today, as we mark the 20th anniversary of that event, there is a far more important question to ponder. Not where were you back then, but where are you today? In other words, does that event continue to impact your life?

Does it keep before you the preciousness of human life? Or instill in you a deeper appreciation of your loved ones? Does it arouse your admiration for first responders who sometimes give their lives for others—and for countless other ordinary people who respond daily to those in need? Does that event keep things in perspective for you—like people, work, material goods—even God? Might it inspire you to be a better human being, a better Christian?

Jesus, help us to come to you, listen to your words and act on them—from the goodness in our hearts.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

1 Timothy 1:15-17 • Psalm 113:1-7 Luke 6:43-49

Comments

September 11, 2021 at 12:14 PM

September 11, 2021 at 11:08 AM

Outside of my 2nd grade classroom, hugging my principal boss. It put and still puts Life in Perspective, that we are only here for a short while, and Love while we can, before we go back home to God. As for any kind of genuine, effective, triumphant human defense or response, our battle position is Worship, of God.

September 11, 2021 at 09:15 AM

To Joann, I am sorry for the loss of your Mother and the pain you and your family must be feeling. Keep strong in the faith and the spirit will guide you through. Imagine her walking hand in hand with our blessed Mother into Heaven.

September 11, 2021 at 08:55 AM

Thank you for this beautiful devotional, Sr. Melanie. I remember exactly where I was on this day. I remember an “expert” saying that this was pilot error and it was just an accident. And then the second plane hit the tower. He was in denial that such evil can be planned. We also can live in denial about the pain and sorrow all around us. God wants us to reach out and care for others. We are God’s warriors on Earth. I pray that more people will pick up the sword of faith, hope, and charity and fight the evil that surrounds us. Prayer is a powerful weapon against evil.

September 11, 2021 at 08:35 AM

Thank you LFF family for your prayers. The Lord called my mom home yesterday afternoon. I am comforted in the fact that our association pastir was able to anoint her brfore she died and is nie with God and our family who passed before. She had her rosary beads in her hand. I know our Blessed Mothet was with her. She was surrounded by her family. Please continue to pray for my family.

Jane
September 12, 2021 at 08:28 AM

Joann, wishing your mother safe passage as she transitions to God’s kingdom. You both are in my thoughts and I am living you in prayer.

Bill L
September 11, 2021 at 03:34 PM

You and your family will be in my prayers this evening, Joann.

September 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM

Joann I will pray for you and your mother this afternoon. I know that you are comforted by the way she left this world. Remember she's always around to guide you and yours. Praying right now Ken

Christine
September 11, 2021 at 08:39 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, Joann. May she rest with the angels.

September 11, 2021 at 07:18 AM

In everything that happens in the world, 9/11, polotics, the pandemic etc., we have a choice. Do we lean on our foundation of our Lords love and mercy or do we take a hammer to that foundation with bitterness, judgment and hate?

September 11, 2021 at 05:23 AM

I enjoyed the devotion, but I do not see how it fits with the reading. Perhaps, the church should be more flexible in its readings. They use the same scriptures every year. Much of the Bible is ignored.

Eliza
September 11, 2021 at 11:13 AM

Troy you make a valid point. Parishioners and priests need to address this with their bishop leaders, and they need to bring this to the Synods at the Vatican. We need to lean on God's Word and Love, not politics, now more than ever.

Vicky G
September 11, 2021 at 10:41 AM

I like the idea Troy. I’m not one to adapt to change very well but acknowledge sometimes change is for the best. There have been so many changes in the church, most notably the mass, that a tweak in the readings would be no different. Maybe not even “change” but add and go from and ABC year to ABCDEF with a 6 year cycle—that way we don’t lose ABC readings while getting to be exposed to so much more of the Good Word.

Sandy
September 11, 2021 at 09:46 AM

Troy, I absolutely agree with you. I've always thought there should be many more scriptures from the Bible during the church year so that we may share in groups like LF.

Christine
September 11, 2021 at 08:38 AM

You make an interesting point, Troy. Even the existing readings are sometimes truncated to the point where context is lost. For example, one well-known reading begins, "This saying is hard, who can accept it?" You would have to go back to the Bible to know what saying they're referring to.