September 9, 2021
St. Peter Claver
Listen to the Master
But to you who hear I say…
Luke 6:27

The sixth chapter of Luke could well be a handbook for living the Christian life. In his Sermon on the Plain, Jesus speaks of both blessings and woes before laying out how to treat your neighbor: “Do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you” (verses 27-28). Including advice that can’t go wrong, “Do to others as you would have them do to you” (verse 31).

Reflecting on his words, I am reminded of an Italian immigrant who, because there had not been a Catholic Church in the remote area he lived, worshiped with non-Catholic neighbors. When death was near, he called the minister and asked him to find a priest who could administer the last rites.

The minister was confused. “Brother, why now when you’ve worshiped with us all these years?”

The old man replied, “Pastor, dying is serious business, and I want to see a priest.”

Until that last day comes for all of us, it is well to keep the sixth chapter of Luke in mind!

- Judy Schueneman

Colossians 3:12-17 • Psalm 150:1-6 Luke 6:27-38

Comments

September 9, 2021 at 03:20 PM

Yes, dying is a serious business, and we need to talk to Priests about this. My Mom & my best friends’ husband (him in ICU, and Mom, in hospice); both may be transitioning to their next state; and, I and they, need prayer from the most righteous humans I can find. I’m shaken, but not afraid. I’m sad, but I am happy because God is in charge. I’m pressed down, but I’m free in Christ Jesus. These days are unusually fiery darts, but I know Jesus already won the war. Please pray for me and us as you feel led by the Holy Spirit. Thank Y’all, Be Blessed.

Jane
September 10, 2021 at 07:57 AM

Robin, wishing your mother Godspeed to be united with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Katj
September 10, 2021 at 06:25 AM

Robin- I pray this morning that your beloved mom is walking with Jesus. I also pray for you and your family for strength in your time of sadness.

Kim
September 9, 2021 at 07:13 PM

I’m praying for you during this difficult time.

Robin G
September 9, 2021 at 04:40 PM

My Mom, Dorothea Spence, transitioned this morning. Please pray for her exit from Earth to wherever she is. She vehemently loved the Trinity and believed that Jesus was God’s son, whom was sent to save us from our sins. She was baptized in water and the Holy Spirit. Lord hear our prayers.

September 9, 2021 at 11:39 AM

A. Drozdeck, I am praying for your sister Marie. As I am Bill L. for your daughter and son-in-law. Unfortunately, I’ve never heard of many marriages that haven’t encountered rocky times. The uncertainty of the future at this point in their marriages definitely will manifest itself in physical and mental health issues, although any length of marriage in crisis comes with its own physical and emotional issues. But what I do know is that if couples seek counseling, private and spiritual, their chances of working through their issues are better…and an even deeper relationship can be realized. It takes both sides to want to work things out, and to forgive. Once the person who is hurt, makes the decision to forgive, that is the time that each look forward together, and not backward, ever. And, God has to be the key to a hope-filled journey, staying close in prayer and trust…He’s Got This. God Bless us all, and all who we love.

September 9, 2021 at 11:30 AM

My heart breaks to the news of Jeff losing his wife Summer right after giving birth to twins :-( :-( :-( Why did it happen? Where is God in this? How does one hold onto faith during such time as this? I don't know..." * Jeremy Camp discusses the pain of revisiting the emotional journey of losing his wife (at 21) to ovarian cancer in the biopic "I Still Believe". Plus, the Christian singer shares what he wants fans to take away from the inspirational film. https://youtu.be/RMSGP0ZByMI * I Still Believe by Jeremy Camp https://youtu.be/SwNgsr8c_tE * Praying for you, Jeff, in the promises of God in Isaiah 43:2-3a "When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God!" Amen!

September 9, 2021 at 10:41 AM

Bottom line...Colossians 3:17, "And (1) whatever you do, in word or in deed, (2) do everything in the Name of the Lord Jesus, (3) giving thanks to God the Father through Him." *** The question is, "Can I do , in word or in deed, do everything in the Name of my Lord Jesus giving thanks to God the Father through Jesus when the other person is my enemy, who hates me or my loved ones, who curses me or my loved ones, or who mistreats me or my loved ones?" *** The question is, "Can I love or give to my enemy what he asks for when he hates me or my loved ones, curses me or my loved ones, mistreats me or my loved ones, takes from me or my loved ones? *** My answer is, "I don't think so!" But the Good News is I don't have to, Jesus does it through me when I (1) Let the peace of Christ control my heart, (2) Let the Word of Christ dwell in me richly, (3) with gratitude in my heart to God! (Colossians 3:15a, 16a, 17c) ******* Psalm 150:6, "Let everything that breathes praise the Lord!" I breathe and I praise my Lord! Let me tell you about "My Jesus!" by Anne Wilson https://youtu.be/cWLm6z42Gk8

September 9, 2021 at 10:05 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies 90Airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hoss - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

September 9, 2021 at 08:32 AM

My sister Marie is having bad marital problems after 30 years and it is wearing her down. Please Lord I pray she and her family get past this soon, it is effecting her health.God is good all the time, all the time God is good.

September 9, 2021 at 11:22 AM

A Drozdeck I will pray for you and your sister right now. Any chance of counseling? Sometimes if the couple could set across from each other and hold hands and just look into each other's eyes . No words just listen to their inner voice . 30 years is a long time . Sorry for rambling but it was in my thoughts . I am praying right now Ken

Mel
September 9, 2021 at 10:40 AM

Dear St. Joseph, Pillar of families, Comforter of the afflicted, please intercede for the marriage of Marie.

Kim
September 9, 2021 at 10:40 AM

I am praying for your sister.

September 9, 2021 at 08:16 AM

September 9, 2021 at 08:02 AM

September 9, 2021 at 07:27 AM

Jesus, I know your words from the Gospel to be true, please keep these words in my heart and top of mind when I am heavy on the judgement side.” “Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”

September 9, 2021 at 05:51 AM

Praying

September 9, 2021 at 04:29 AM

To my Living Faith family, I just found out from my daughter that after many years the man I called a son instead of son-in-law is wanting a divorce. I am beside myself. Confused, angry and disappointed in him. She is alone and hurting on the other side of the states. She is questioning herself and filled with doubts about herself and God. On our next phone call I will tell her not to worry about God. He will see us through this. I know I have prayer champions here on this site so I am asking you to help us through this difficult time. Thank you.

September 9, 2021 at 10:52 AM

* May God draw your daughter and son-in-law to Himself as they discover this personal Lord Jesus for themselves during this difficult time (praying hands)! * "Move the unmovable Break the unbreakable God we believe God we believe for it!" Believe For It by CeCe Winans https://youtu.be/n4ggKHAK_xk * "Am I more than just the sum of every high and every low? Remind me once again just who I am because I need to know!" You Say by Lauren Daigle https://youtu.be/oZvKJl1kK8g

Mel
September 9, 2021 at 10:38 AM

Dear St. Joseph, Pillar of families, Comforter of the afflicted, please intercede for the marriage of Bill's daughter and son-in-law.

Kim
September 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM

I am praying for your daughter.

September 9, 2021 at 08:25 AM

Bill l will pray for you and your daughter at Mass this morning. Bill l know how hard it is to see your family in turmoil. Good parents are always a blessing hang in there. Praying helps you and her to try to see the big picture. Ken

Holly
September 9, 2021 at 08:18 AM

I will be praying for your daughter and her situation. God bless.

EM 1
September 9, 2021 at 08:03 AM

Amen. Bill, offering up my rosary today for you and your family. May you find peace and comfort and trust in God’s love and mercy. Prayers for this beautiful LF Family.

Lia
September 9, 2021 at 07:42 AM

Amen. Prayers for your daughter Bill. God has a plan for her.

Katj
September 9, 2021 at 07:36 AM

Bill- I am praying for your daughter and your family. It’s heart wrenching to hear of our children’s sadness and hard to find comforting words. I pray that Jesus will see her through this and bring her to happiness.

Jane
September 9, 2021 at 07:23 AM

I ask God to send light to your daughter on this difficult journey we call life. May God help her on the path, although bumpy and difficult, and lift her when needed. Keep the faith. God has a plan for her, jg

Robert
September 9, 2021 at 04:58 AM

Your feelings and those of your daughter are well understood. I am sorry for you both. You are right that God has his own plan and if he brought you to it....he will also see you through it. Prayers for you and her.