September 7, 2021
A Time and Place for Discerning
Jesus departed to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God.
Luke 6:12

Mountains dot the landscape of the Scriptures. Climbing one was not an easy but a significant choice because mountains, towering above most of the terrain, were popularly thought of as places closer to God dwelling in the heavens, places that offered an optimal advantage of being heard in prayer.

Jesus often took himself apart to a mountain to pray. Sometimes to give himself the gift of restorative stillness after pouring out his energies in the service of healing. Sometimes before discerning a future action of particular consequence—in this case, the choosing of the Twelve. He wrapped his decision-making in a night of prayer. What a model for us as we also face discernments of consequence in our everyday living.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM

Colossians 2:6-15 • Psalm 145:1-2, 8-11 Luke 6:12-19

Comments

September 7, 2021 at 01:18 PM

Now I know why I kept hearing “ I’m bound for the promised land” all day yesterday. Mom had a stroke yesterday morning and has been incapacitated since. Slept and cared for her last night at nursing home. Dying looks rough, but she is sweet as a bunny rabbit. Please pray as God leads us for Mom’s transition.

Jane
September 8, 2021 at 06:46 AM

Robin, Strength and courage for the days ahead. You’re mom is so grateful you are by her side. Godspeed, jg

Kim
September 7, 2021 at 06:34 PM

Praying for you, your mom, and your family.

Bill L
September 7, 2021 at 05:18 PM

Continued prayers for your mom, Robin.

September 7, 2021 at 01:56 PM

Praying for calm, comfort and confidence for you, Robin, as you care for your Mom! John 16:16, 20, 22, 24, "Jesus went on to say, “In a little while you will see Me no more, and then after a little while you will see Me... Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy... So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy... Until now you have not asked for anything in My Name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete!" Amen!

September 7, 2021 at 11:41 AM

"See to it that no one captivate you........"Colossians 2:6. Prayers for God's protection of our children, parents, teachers, administrators, schools and all students across our world this year. We ask for this in Jesus's name, Amen.

September 7, 2021 at 02:10 PM

Amen, Elija! Let His Light shine through the cracks in His people!!! 2 Corinthians 4:1-9, "Therefore, since God in His mercy has given us this new way (the new covenant in Jesus Christ), we never give up. We reject all shameful deeds and underhanded methods. We don’t try to trick anyone or distort the Word of God. We tell the truth before God, and all who are honest know this. If the Good News we preach is hidden behind a veil, it is hidden only from people who are perishing. Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, Who is the exact likeness of God. You see, we don’t go around preaching about ourselves. We preach that Jesus Christ is Lord, and we ourselves are your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, Who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed!" Go tell everyone...Jesus Christ is Lord :-)

September 7, 2021 at 10:02 AM

Yes, Sr. Chris! "What a model for us as we also face discernments of consequence in our everyday living!" *** Colossains 2:6-8, "As you (1) received Christ Jesus the Lord, (2) walk in Him, (3) rooted in Him and (4) built upon Him and (5) established in the faith as you were taught, (6) abounding in thanksgiving. See to it that (7) no one captivate you with an empty, seductive philosophy (a) according to the tradition of men, (b) according to the elemental powers of the world and (c) not according to Christ!" *** It is especially true these days when leaders of churches and nations tell you what you want to hear and not what God says! Here is what Paul told Timothy in 2 Timothy 4:1-4, "In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, Who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of His appearing and His kingdom, I (Paul) give you (Timothy) this charge: (1) Preach the Word; (2) be prepared in season and out of season; (3) correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. (Why? Because) (1) For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to (2) suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. (3) They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths." *** Only Jesus in Colossains 2:9-15 (1) I share in this fullness of the deity bodily in Jesus! (2) I was circumcised by stripping off the carnal body, with the circumcision of Christ! (3) I was buried with Him in baptism! (4) I was raised with Him through faith in the power of God! (5) Even when I was dead in transgressions and the uncircumcision of my flesh, He brought me to life along with Him, having forgiven me all my transgressions! (6) He also removed it (the bond against us, with its legal claims, which was opposed to us) from our midst, nailing it to the cross! (7) He made a public spectacle of the principalities and the powers leading me away in triumph by it! To that I say Amen! ******* Lord Jesus, I will extol you, O my God and King, and I will bless Your Name forever and ever. Every day will I bless you, and I will praise Your Name forever and ever. Lord Jesus, You are gracious and merciful, slow to anger and of great kindness. You are good to all and compassionate toward all Your works. Let all Your works give You thanks, O LORD, and let Your faithful ones bless you. Let them discourse of the glory of Your Kingdom and speak of Your might. Amen! (Psalm 145:1-2, 8-11) Only Jesus by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/_eQd3K2Fxp4

September 7, 2021 at 09:57 AM

September 7, 2021 at 09:33 AM

The popular belief of the time that high on a mountain a person was closer to God and could be heard better or clearer. This piece from Sr. Chris today was very thought provoking for me. The fact that Jesus would subscribe to or at least accept popular ideas of the time gives me hope. Each era has its own foible ideas and traditions that future generations laugh at. Some of those ideas may be far from the truth and some even damning (think the popular belief of neighbors being witches in the 16th and 17th century). If Jesus could survive His time and place without being corrupted by the fallacies of His time, with His help, I pray I can too.

September 7, 2021 at 08:06 AM

September 7, 2021 at 07:45 AM

Amen…

September 7, 2021 at 07:29 AM

men! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts- by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

September 7, 2021 at 05:56 AM

Thank you Sr Chris for this devotion. There is nothing like wrapping my decisions in prayer in the early morning before my world awakens. It’s a beautiful time to sit with the Lord and just be calm and be thankful!

Alyssa Peacock Respond to comment
September 7, 2021 at 05:49 AM

Glory to God! Lord teach me to rest and pray as you did!