September 6, 2021
The Challenge to Trust
Trust in him at all times, O my people!
Psalm 62:9

When I was a boy, a friend had a tree house in his backyard. I spent a summer trying to get the courage to climb the rickety ladder and hoist myself onto its platform. I would always look down and grow afraid of how high up I was.

As I grow older, I find that trust in the Lord is often my biggest challenge. I am too aware of the risks and the pitfalls, whether it be health or wealth, whether it be changes in my profession or changes in the lives of my children. With age, trusting in the Lord becomes more necessary and yet seemingly more difficult.

I think the Psalms were written for those of us who are older. God is my rock, the psalmist sings, encouraging us to pour out our hearts to the Lord, even when our trust wavers. He assures us that only “in God is my safety and my glory.”

Holy Spirit, grant me the courage to trust steadfastly in the goodness of the Lord.

- Greg Erlandson

Colossians 1:24—2:3 • Psalm 62:6-7, 9 Luke 6:6-11

Comments

September 6, 2021 at 08:23 PM

Awoke hearing this and still hearing it tonight I Am Bound For The Promised Land Alfred G. Karnes On Jordan's stormy banks I stand And cast a wishful eye To Canaan's fair and happy land Where my family lie I'm bound for the promised land I'm bound for the promised land Oh, who will come and go with me? I'm bound for the promised land All those wide, extended plains Shines one eternal day There God's son forever reigns And scatters night away I'm bound for the promised land I'm bound for the promised land Oh, who will come and go with me? I'm bound for the promised land No chilling winds, no poison strand Can reach that healthful shore Sickness and sorrow, pain and death Are felt and feared no more I'm bound for the promised land I'm bound for the promised land Oh, who will come and go with me? I'm bound for the promised land When shall I reach that heavenly place And be forever blessed? When shall I see my Father's face And in His bosom rest? I'm bound for the promised land I'm bound for the promised land Oh, who will come and go with me? I'm bound for the promised land Filled with delight, my rested soul Would ever longer stay Though Jordan's winds around me roar There bliss alone shall weigh

September 6, 2021 at 03:51 PM

Such a beautiful and thoughtful reflection. Meant for me today! Thank you.

September 6, 2021 at 03:38 PM

Sorry, Greg. I guess I was the opposite. As I look back at growing up, I often wonder how I made it this far! And I come back to the feeling that God still has a plan for me to complete. My prayers are with everyone today. Hope you all had a wonderful end of the unofficial days of summer.

September 6, 2021 at 12:23 PM

Thank you for both the reflection and the comments. They have all hit home for me. I will keep you all in my prayers today.

September 6, 2021 at 10:46 AM

September 6, 2021 at 10:13 AM

Thank you for this reassurance. I struggle with anxiety, and while I know we are to trust Him, I often find it difficult to stop dwelling on things that cause me to worry. Jesus, I need your help this day. I pray for others whose worries feel heavy and burdensome. Please give us strength to look to you above and beyond the strife of this world. Amen.

Margaret
September 6, 2021 at 03:29 PM

Wonderful prayer! Amen!!

September 6, 2021 at 09:25 AM

Amen. I too struggle with worry and anxiety and have to dig deep at times to trust especially during challenges. I try to stay in the present moment and a few Hail Mary’s help too. I am grateful though for all the Lord has blessed me with and through as I celebrate my 60th birthday this week! Prayers for all. Ken YOU are amazing and an inspiring!

Holly
September 6, 2021 at 10:14 AM

Have a happy birthday and God bless!

September 6, 2021 at 07:57 AM

One way I try to keep my trust in the Lord going is by looking back to all the times HE has come thru on difficult situations in the past. HE is never early and HE is never late.....BUT HE ALWAYS comes thru. HE is faithful & knows what’s best for me. Thank you, Lord, for your patience & acceptance of me exactly as I am❤️

Gayle
September 6, 2021 at 11:28 AM

God's timing is perfect!

September 6, 2021 at 06:22 AM

Trusting in God even in dry times or difficult times he always shows up manifesting his Presence, Love and Grace. Lord help me to keep on trusting you.

September 6, 2021 at 06:06 AM

Every day I receive messages and signs telling me to trust in God. How do I stop worrying and trust in God and his plan for my family?

September 6, 2021 at 08:16 AM

Sandy David and Kim I too would like to trust in the Lord more. I pray for patience and know that Jesus will help us. Living faith family I would like you guys to know that you are a inspiration to me. Thanks Ken