September 4, 2021
My Energy Source
Behold, God is my helper;
the LORD sustains my life.
Psalm 54:6

All I do, it seems, is charge things­—devices and appliances.

It all seemed so amazing at first, didn’t it? Cordless phones, leaf blowers and vacuum cleaners! Bluetooth speakers, headphones and keyboards! No wires or cords tying us down! Freedom!

Not so fast. For we all know the frustration of that moment when our forgetfulness or carelessness has left us holding one more useless brick of metal and plastic, useless without a charge.

Nothing powers itself. Everything requires a source of energy from outside. Including me. I may think I’m doing this on my own—I may imagine that my life is about freedom—but of course, it’s not. Like that phone or that vacuum, I have a source of energy that enables me to be myself and do what I’m made to do, and without him, I can do nothing.

Loving God, pour out your grace and power in my soul.

- Amy Welborn

Colossians 1:21-23 • Psalm 54:3-4, 6, 8 Luke 6:1-5

Comments

September 4, 2021 at 08:41 PM

Spot on, Amy! We are all higher-powered. I need to remember that. Can't perform very well at all without my charge.

September 4, 2021 at 12:17 PM

Thanks, Amy, for your insight. I look at the numerous chargers around the house and how can I keep from smiling? It is a curious sight. They stand at attention, ready to power up my devices - IF the electricity doesn’t go off. God is present to us always - no electrical source required!

Amy Welborn
September 4, 2021 at 12:34 PM

Thank you! Nice insight from you, too!

September 4, 2021 at 11:55 AM

September 4, 2021 at 11:28 AM

Colossians 1:21-23a, (*** Who I was) " (1) alienated and (2) hostile in mind because (3) of evil deeds; (*** What God has done) (1) God has now reconciled you (Salina) in the fleshly Body of Christ through His death, (2) to present you (Salina) holy, without blemish, and (3) irreproachable before Him, provided that (*** What I need to do) (1) you (Salina) persevere in the faith, (2) firmly grounded, stable, and (3) not shifting from the hope of the Gospel that you (Salina) heard," ******* Am I a rule keeper? Luke 6:2, "Some Pharisees said, “Why are You (Jesus) doing what is unlawful on the sabbath?” There is nothing wrong with keeping the laws, as long as I know Who is the Lord of the laws!!! Luke 6:5, "Then He (Jesus) said to them, “The Son of Man (Jesus) is Lord of the sabbath.” WWJD Amen!

September 4, 2021 at 10:26 AM

I have missed reading Tim’s insightful and inspirational comments. Is he on holiday? Blessings on him.

September 4, 2021 at 10:00 AM

Amy! I never look to see who provided the reflection for the day…and I always know when it’s you! You have such a gift of making a connection for us with God in our every day lives! Thanx! I’m feeling re-energized and ready to hopefully, “charge” others today with a smile, prayer or anything that I can willingly say “yes” to! God Bless us all and all who we love!

MonaMarieRosemary
September 5, 2021 at 02:49 PM

I, too, seldom read (or care) who writes which devotions (they are all good) and yet somehow, I, too, can sense when I’m reading a devotion written by Amy Welborn! We must all be kindred spirits. I have followed you and your writings for a long time. I have many of your books. Keep on keepin’ on, for all of our sakes!

Amy Welborn
September 4, 2021 at 12:35 PM

You are so kind! Thank you! I really enjoy writing for Living Faith. It helps keep me spiritually alert, and I really appreciate the feedback!

September 4, 2021 at 09:58 AM

Beautifully written! Amen! I wish everyone a happy and safe Labor Day weekend

September 4, 2021 at 09:16 AM

Yes Amy, I pray everyday for energy and motivation! I have many days where I feel I haven't accomplished the many things I wanted to, especially as I get older. However, I do manage to start with LF every morning to get my spiritual charge. Have a blessed weekend and continued prayers for all.

September 4, 2021 at 09:10 AM

That was a beautiful reflection by Amy. We all need to keep spiritually recharged to let God’s power guide us in our lives.

September 4, 2021 at 08:45 AM

Angela great video reflections this morning. Yes the children usually get things that we don't see. I am often distracted by children making noises during Mass. Maybe it's my blessed Hearing aids but they seem so loud. I have prayed about and now I like the distraction as it reminds me that we're all children of God . Sometimes I go to the family and tell them that the children remind me that we're all children of God. Living faith family please keep the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and first Responders and their families in your prayers Ken

September 4, 2021 at 08:40 AM

Power me up, Lord! Help me to be the Catholic Christian you want me to be. I send out prayers to all. Have a restful and enjoyable Labor Day.

September 4, 2021 at 08:38 AM

Energy flows where attention goes....its a law! Peace be with you all!

September 4, 2021 at 08:13 AM

Amen! Great analogy. Have a nice Memorial Day weekend LFF

September 4, 2021 at 07:41 AM

Amen…

September 4, 2021 at 07:35 AM

Thank you Amy for a wonderful analogy that brings it back to Him so well at the end. He is the vine and we are the branches and we must go out even wirelessly sometimes to bear fruit and then come back to the Vine for refreshment.

September 4, 2021 at 07:26 AM

Some days I feel no energy to get anything done. I take a moment to find peace and gather the strength to carry on.

Carmel
September 4, 2021 at 01:09 PM

Thank you, Amy, for this very, relevant, devotion. God's power and grace. Prayers and for all.

September 4, 2021 at 08:26 AM

Maria some days I also have no energy. I find if I start my day with morning prayers and encouragement from readings I do. It motivates me for the day. Living faith family reading is great and the Mass settles me. Amy great comments I need to be recharged. Kelly I will pray for you and your sister right now. Sue and Anne I will pray for you and yours also. Ken

Marko
September 4, 2021 at 07:36 AM

May God bless you and strengthen you today and every day Maria. I am praying for you this morning.