September 3, 2021
St. Gregory the Great
Through Death to Life
He is the head of the Body, the Church.
He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead…
Colossians 1:18

It’s startling to put birth and death together in the way St. Paul does here. We are used to thinking of the dead as the ones at the end of life, those who have completed and left it. Paul unwinds all that and shows us death from the other way around: “firstborn from the dead.” Death is not the end of all, but the real beginning. Especially when the experience of death is close to us, this news makes all the difference.

How do we know it’s so? Because Christ has been raised from death and opened the path to eternal life. This is both the eyewitness of the apostles, and the consistent witness of the Church down through the ages. No wonder the connection of the “firstborn from the dead” with the Church is so crucial here. We need each other, we need God-with-us, to show us the way through death to life.

- Mary Marrocco

Colossians 1:15-20 • Psalm 100:1-5 Luke 5:33-39

Comments

September 3, 2021 at 06:09 PM

Colossains 1:15-20, "*** Christ Jesus is (1) the image of the invisible God, (2) the firstborn of all creation. (3) For in Him were created all things in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things were created through Him and for Him. (4) He is before all things, and (5) in Him all things hold together. (6) He is the head of the Body, the Church. (7) He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things *** He Himself might be preeminent. (1) For in Him all the fullness was pleased to dwell, and (2) through Him to reconcile all things for Him, (3) making peace by the Blood of His cross through Him, whether those on earth or those in heaven." *** 2 Corinthians 5:14b-15, "Since we believe that Christ died for all, we also believe that we have all died to our old life. He died for everyone so that those who receive His new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them." This verse reminds me and explains to me Jesus is "the firstborn from the dead!" ******* And it brings me to what Paul said in Philippians 1:21-24, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body!" I concur! I pray I die soon while I still have my $250K life insurance on me (my family and friends do not like this prayer of mine :-) It is definitely better with my Jesus :-) Deo Volente, God willing!!!

September 3, 2021 at 04:58 PM

Kelly, you and your mom and Susan will be in my prayers this evening. Also praying for my East Coast family and friends suffering through the aftermath of the recent hurricane.

Kelly
September 4, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Thank you for praying for my family.

September 3, 2021 at 12:11 PM

Living faith family I am catching up. Some mornings I don't post because it's too late. Katj I can always count on you for your prayers thanks. Robin G great advice on praying. Maria welcome to the living faith family. Azmom I love your comments on the power of prayers let's all keep it up. Anne Drozdeck you are still in my prayers. Living faith family please pray for the souls in purgatory and the souls who have no one to pray for them. Keep the familys who are suffering from natural disasters and consequences of war I will be praying the divine mercy chaplet today for all of you guys. Ken

September 3, 2021 at 09:57 AM

Kelly, Know Susan, your Mom, and you are tucked tight in my prayers. Praying for His Grace and peace to embrace you, in His will.

Kelly
September 4, 2021 at 08:09 AM

Thank you for your prayers.

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
September 3, 2021 at 09:39 AM

KELLLY CORRECTION IS THE NAME AND NOT Kathy.

Lelly
September 4, 2021 at 08:10 AM

Thank you for praying for my family.

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
September 3, 2021 at 09:36 AM

Kathy may God send His comforting angel to give you courage and strength in this ❤ time of trials. Let not you heart be troubled.

September 3, 2021 at 09:20 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Amy L.
September 3, 2021 at 09:45 AM

I love your daily comments. They are from the heart. And I get a lot out of them. Thank you for sharing

September 3, 2021 at 09:00 AM

Beautiful devotional, Mary. It helps keep my “ eyes on the prize”. Whatever bad that may be happening in this Earthly world, it’s a great reminder that God will win in the end and we must be faithful to him in all we do. Prayers for all those who are suffering today.

Patrick
September 3, 2021 at 09:50 AM

Amen. When the apprenticeship/internship is over we move forward into the real thing. I am looking forward to it in due time.

September 3, 2021 at 08:33 AM

Please pray for my sister, Susan who has stage 4 pancreatic cancer and is now hospitalized with a serious blood infection. She is 49 years old. Please also pray for my mom who has Alzheimer’s and is regressing. Please help them Jesus. Thank you.

Kelly
September 4, 2021 at 08:13 AM

Thank you all for your prayers. It means so much to us.

September 3, 2021 at 11:01 AM

Kelly I will pray for you and your family right now. CC I will also pray for you and your son right now. Living faith family today is the first Friday of the month. Stations of the cross are great way to bring in a new month. Kelly and CC praying right now. Ken

CC
September 3, 2021 at 10:42 AM

I will pray for your sister and your mom. My son was just diagnosed with blood cancer and it is so hard to watch them suffer. May God bless them today and always. St. Peregrine pray for Kelly’s sister.

Holly
September 3, 2021 at 10:39 AM

Love and prayers for you and your family.

Jane
September 3, 2021 at 09:18 AM

Kelly, my heart is heavy for you and I am asking God to make his presence known to you and your family. Sending you strength and courage for the days ahead.

Sandy
September 3, 2021 at 08:57 AM

Kelly, I will add you, your sister and mother to my prayers this morning.

Stormy
September 3, 2021 at 08:44 AM

Kelly, Pryaers for your sister and mother

September 3, 2021 at 08:24 AM

September 3, 2021 at 06:17 AM

Memorial of Saint Gregory the Great, Pope, Virgin and Doctor of the Church.