September 1, 2021
The Purpose of Rest
At daybreak, Jesus left and went to a deserted place.
Luke 4:42

Jesus’ healing of Simon’s mother-in-law is one of my most loved Gospel stories. We all know how worrisome a fever can be: it signals distress of some sort in the body, potentially serious. After the miraculous healing, many more sick people come, and Jesus heals them as well.

It’s exhausting tending the sick, and Jesus must have expended much energy in these healings. Next, he retreats to be alone for awhile. He takes time and space to rest and regenerate before moving on to other towns, other work.

Jesus shows us that spaces are important. There is a rhythm to life. As in music, the rests are integral to the composition.

Jesus, help me to get balance in the doing and being. Help me to find you in both.

- Jennifer Christ

Colossians 1:1-8 • Psalm 52:10-11 Luke 4:38-44

Comments

MonaMarieRosemary Respond to comment
September 5, 2021 at 02:57 PM

I’m jumping in here late. Praying for Anne, whoever she is and whatever she needs. We got you covered, Anne! What I wanted to say is that we have a musician at church who rushes the rests. It drives me nuts. We mustn’t rush the rests! Count 1-2-3-4! Catch your breath! Breathe! Pause! Hold on to the rest! God Bless us all.

September 1, 2021 at 04:52 PM

Praying for Anne tonight, and for all those too quiet to ask.

September 1, 2021 at 01:49 PM

Tell God what you want or need and ask Him to provide that for you. Be specific about your request. Even though God knows what you want and need, He wants you to ask Him for it. God can answer vague prayers, but being specific creates a deeper bond between you and Him. And then rest.

September 1, 2021 at 12:09 PM

*** 1 Colossians 1:5b-6, "Of this you have already heard through the word of truth, the Gospel, that has come to you. Just as in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing, so also among you, from the day you heard it and came to know the grace of God in truth," (1) The Word of Truth (2) The Gospel (3) The Grace of God in Truth (4) has come to you (5) you heard it (6) you know it (7) bearing fruit and growing! *** "Rebuked" caught my eyes as I read today's Gospel! Jesus rebuked sickness healing Peter's mother-in-law in Luke 4:38b-39a, "Simon’s mother-in-law was afflicted with a severe fever, and they interceded with Him about her. He stood over her, rebuked the fever, and it left her." Jesus rebuked demons forbidding them to tell the truth about Jesus in Luke 4:41, "And demons also came out from many, shouting, “You are the Son of God.” But He rebuked them and did not allow them to speak because they knew that He was the Christ." *** I do not know what to make of "rebuke?" Did Jesus rebuke all the diseases and sicknesses before he laid hands on them and cured them? The Bible didn't say! ******* Teach me, Lord Jesus! Come and rebuke COVID-19 all variants and let Your healing begin :-) Amen!

Margaret
September 1, 2021 at 12:49 PM

The same caught my eye...why did Jesus rebuke the demons for saying he was the son of God? I love your prayer - please Jesus rebuke Covid and it's variants and let the healing begin. Amen!!!

September 1, 2021 at 11:08 AM

Anne! You are a Child of God, feel that in your bones! And know that your Living Faith Family, as your brothers and sisters, have you tucked tight in our prayers! God Bless you, and all who you love.

September 1, 2021 at 11:03 AM

Just found this site - I had been looking for catholic devotionals. Love having a spiritual start to my day. Meeting others in prayer.

September 1, 2021 at 09:48 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

September 1, 2021 at 08:21 AM

September 1, 2021 at 08:17 AM

Hang in there, Anne. So many here are offering up prayers for you. God is listening. God loves you.

September 1, 2021 at 08:07 AM

September 1, 2021 at 07:56 AM

Anne, praying for you

September 1, 2021 at 07:46 AM

Spaces are important….rests are integral to our composition. May we find the wisdom to take enough?

September 1, 2021 at 07:39 AM

Amen…

September 1, 2021 at 06:37 AM

Jesus please help me

September 1, 2021 at 11:56 AM

That is the best prayer to pray, Anne! Romans 8:26-28, "And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father Who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them!" Amen!!!

annie
September 1, 2021 at 11:32 AM

Anne, my namesake, I'm praying for you. God loves us, and will take care of us. May God continue to Bless us all.

September 1, 2021 at 10:26 AM

Anne I will pray for you today and keep you in my thoughts and prayers. "Holy spirit guide my mind and control my thoughts " Anne that always calms me down and reminds me that the holy spirit is there to help. Ken

Sandy
September 1, 2021 at 08:02 AM

Anne, I will include you in my prayers this morning for the Lord to comfort you.

Katj
September 1, 2021 at 08:01 AM

Praying for you Anne!

Jane
September 1, 2021 at 07:44 AM

Anne, Know many are praying for you. I am offering a candle to light the way.

Linda
September 1, 2021 at 06:58 AM

Anne, I will gladly pray for you each day! We all need help but your comment reached out to me today. Peace be with you and I pray that Jesus will give you rest!