August 31, 2021
Look for the Fruits
…they were astonished by his teaching because he spoke with authority.
Luke 4:32

Years ago, I was standing in a line at the bank when a toddler suddenly ran up to me and threw her arms around my leg. As soon as I spoke, she realized she had mistaken me for her mother and ran toward the woman behind me who happened to be wearing the same-colored slacks.

Like that little girl, I can initially be fooled by appearances. There are people, sometimes powerful ones, who attract us by championing some aspect of Christianity that is particularly important to us. However, when we listen carefully, we realize their words and actions do not flow from the Spirit of Christ. Whether in my own life or that of others, if something consistently fails to produce the fruits of the Spirit—that is, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control—I know I have taken the wrong path.

Compassionate God, guide my choices so that they reflect your goodness.

- Terri Mifek

1 Thessalonians 5:1-6, 9-11 • Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14 Luke 4:31-37

Comments

August 31, 2021 at 08:23 PM

If you are talking about 45, I respectfully disagree. Judge people by their fruits as Jesus said.

August 31, 2021 at 08:59 AM

Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set a man “against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s enemies will be those of his household” (Matt 10:34-36). This is a direct quote from the Bible. Yes, I know that the fruits of the Spirit are all the things that Terri listed. However, we must also be aware that many so-called “nice” people are simply wolves in sheep’s clothing. We must be careful to be aware of what they do, not just listen to “nice” words. What are they actually DOING to further God’s kingdom? By their fruits you shall know them. Don’t be fooled by “nice”.

Terri Mifek
August 31, 2021 at 05:15 PM

To be clear, niceness is a pleasant persona but kindness is when you show your care by concrete actions. Niceness has nothing to do with the fruits of the spirit. I hope that clears up the misunderstanding.

Patrick
August 31, 2021 at 02:04 PM

The quote, "What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say." springs to mind. It takes. It takes a while to see true real agenda that lies behind a mask, but eventually the truth emerges.

August 31, 2021 at 10:38 AM

Azmom yes beware of the sheep but observe what they do. When I was in education. We had a saying " don't just talk the talk but walk the walk " Living faith family please pray for my friend Carolann I just found out she lost her husband 2 weeks ago, after losing her son last month . Keep them in your prayers Ken

August 31, 2021 at 08:16 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must e done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

August 31, 2021 at 08:13 AM

August 31, 2021 at 07:43 AM

Amen…

August 31, 2021 at 07:17 AM

Can we relate to what Paul was saying to the Thessalonians in 1 Thessalonians 5:3, "When people are saying, “Peace and security,” then sudden disaster comes upon them, like labor pains upon a pregnant woman,  and they will not escape! " *** COVID, protests, crimes, fires, hurricanes, deaths, health issues, broken relationships, etc They "come like a thief at night!" (1 Thessalonians 5:2b) *** How have you dealt with these sudden disasters? Fear? Not sure? Sadness? Anger? Frustrations? Or the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control! (Galatians 5:22-23a) *** Paul told us who we are and what to do in 1Thessalonians 5:5-11a, "(1) For all of you are children of the light and children of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness. Therefore, (2) let us not sleep as the rest do, but let us stay alert and sober. *** For God did not destine us for wrath, but to gain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep (ALL - even when we fall asleep) we may live together with Him. Therefore, (3) encourage one another and build one another up," Amen!!! ******* The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? The LORD is my life’s refuge; of whom should I be afraid?  I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living! :-)

a God follower
August 31, 2021 at 08:49 PM

Always love the CCM links you share, Salina, thank you!

August 31, 2021 at 07:28 AM

Whom shall I fear by Chris Tomlin https://youtu.be/R0gu0nOaFsI

August 31, 2021 at 06:32 AM

Amen. We are all one good or bad choice away from choosing the path to God. Come Holy Spirit come. Prayers for all.

August 31, 2021 at 06:19 AM