August 30, 2021
Approval Ratings
…no prophet is accepted in his own native place.

Luke 4:24

In today’s Gospel, Jesus’ approval rating plummets. The hometown crowd, convinced they know exactly who Jesus is and where he comes from, cannot accept that he is anything more. Still, our Lord offers a powerful response: Jesus doesn’t try to change the crowd’s presuppositions that blind them to greater possibilities. He knows their hearts. He acknowledges their skepticism, speaks truth and moves on. Critics cannot define him—nor derail his mission.

I appreciate Jesus’ approach in the face of rejection. Worth isn’t measured by community acceptance or mass appeal. Popular opinion doesn’t dictate one’s identity. Rather, Jesus calls each of us to a particular mission with unique talents. So instead of letting feeble presumptions stifle us, let’s affirm our mission and apply our God-given gifts. Our inherent approval rating from God is what truly matters.

Lord, please help us remember it is you who commissions us, and it is your acceptance that matters.

- Kathleen Swartz McQuaig

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 • Psalm 96:1, 3-5, 11-13 Luke 4:16-30

Comments

Angela Harrigan Respond to comment
August 30, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Please pray for my niece Amanda. She is a mother of a 3 year old boy. She had a brain tumor operated on last week and is going back into surgery at 2:00 due to infection. Thank you and God's Will be done. Jesus I trust in You

Kim
August 30, 2021 at 10:36 PM

I am praying for your niece.

Bill L
August 30, 2021 at 05:27 PM

Angela, I will be praying tonight for you and your niece Amanda.

Margaret
August 30, 2021 at 04:52 PM

I'm praying for your niece Amanda's recovery, may the Dr.'s get the infection under control and may God be with all of them as they get through this. Praying for strength and healing.

August 30, 2021 at 10:21 AM

Do you feel sad, mad or frustrated that good news is fleeting and bad news is glooming? Let’s look at God’s Word again this morning in *** 1 Thessalonians 4:13, “We do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, about those who have fallen asleep, so that you may not grieve like the rest, who have no hope!” People are trapped and dying in Afghanistan; Hurricane Ida is destroying properties and lives along its path; COVID infection rate has gone up especially among the unvaccinated and children; Prices of everyday life (gas and grocery and rent and real estate) is going up; Service industries like grocery stores and restaurants are short handed; Fears continues; Blaming and finger-pointing intensified; and most of all, God’s people are divided :-( *** Where does my hope come? 1 Thessalonians 4:14-15, “ For if we believe that Jesus died and rose, so too will God, through Jesus, bring with Him those who have fallen asleep. Indeed, we tell you this, on the Word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not precede those who have fallen asleep!” *** How will it happen? 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, “ For the Lord Himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord!” *** Do you believe in God’s Word? Do you believe in God’s promises in His Word? Do you believe in the God Who gives us His promises in His Word? Have you checked lately how many prophecies have been fulfilled in God’s Word? *** Here is one in today’s Gospel, Luke 4:17b-19, 21, “He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord (Isaiah 61:1-2) … He (Jesus) said to them, “Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing.” *** what shall I do? 1 Thessalonians 4:18, “Therefore, console one another with these words!” What Words? Read 1Thessalonians 4:13-17 again :-) *** My morning starts with His Word before the news in Proverbs 4:20-21, “My son (and daughters), pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to My Words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart;” Amen! Does it matter who our leaders are? Yes! Are our leaders in control of my joy and security? A resounding NO :-) *******Shoulders by for King and Country https://youtu.be/TfiYWaeAcRw

August 30, 2021 at 09:40 AM

“Speaks the truth and moves on”….yes I need to have that reinforced, thank you Kathleen. It’s ok if I don’t fit in because I won’t follow the crowd. Following Jesus brings peace at night. Jesus only saved those who chose to accept so I have to understand I’ll have to walk away from people sometimes too and not beat myself up with “what else could I have done?”

August 30, 2021 at 08:31 AM

August 30, 2021 at 08:30 AM

AMEN! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your Will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

August 30, 2021 at 08:28 AM

Amen…

August 30, 2021 at 06:10 AM

Amen…..

August 30, 2021 at 12:57 AM

Mahatma Gandhi put it like this: Even if I am a minority of one - the Truth is the Truth.

Patrick
August 30, 2021 at 09:10 AM

Great comment to a great devotional. Leave judgement and resolution to the Lord, He knows the truth.