August 28, 2021
St. Augustine
What We Have Been Given
Well done, my good and faithful servant.
Matthew 25:21

Our word “talent,” or gift, is derived from this Scripture passage. A talent was a huge sum of money—one estimate is 6,000 days’ wages—so the master had entrusted something of great value to his servants. Imagine if we had been given the equivalent—one talent at today’s minimum wage would be half a million dollars—to be responsible for. Then imagine that all we did was bury it in the ground.

Our talents are meant to multiply in service of God’s Kingdom. To play it safe, to hide our talents so that no risk is incurred, is to waste our gifts. We may have been blessed with much or with little, but our challenge is to bear fruit with what we have been given.

Tonight, when we go to bed, let us ask ourselves if we have made good use of the talents with which God has blessed us. May the Lord say to us, “Well done.”

Lord, let me act boldly in faith and not hide my talents out of fear.

- Greg Erlandson

1 Thessalonians 4:9-11 • Psalm 98:1, 7-9 Matthew 25:14-30

Comments

August 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM

August 28, 2021 at 09:51 AM

I didn’t know the ‘banking’ system is of old :-) I am putting ‘my’ thinking hat on for these servants, playing the devil’s advocate…The two servants who were given 5 and 2 talents seemed like gamblers to me as they gambled away all their talents. It happened that they received 100 percent return this time. They sounded like day traders to me! On the other hand the servant who received 1 talent considering what he knows of the master and what he thought was the safest place for the talent, he took the time to bury it so he wouldn’t lose it! As I put myself in these servants positions, would I do what they did? Here are the key verses for me to understand *** Matthew 25:14-15a, “A man going on a journey called in his servants and entrusted his possessions to them. To one he gave five talents; to another, two; to a third, one– to each according to his ability.” (1) The talents were the man’s possession and not the servants (2) The man entrusted his possessions to the servants (3) The man gave according to the servants abilities *** Matthew 25:24-25, “Then the one who had received the one talent came forward and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a demanding person, harvesting where you did not plant and gathering where you did not scatter; so out of fear I went off and buried your talent in the ground. Here it is back.’ (1) The servant thought he knew the master very well (2) It was out of fear of the master that he buried the talent (3) He thought he did what the master wanted *** Matthew 25:29, “ For to everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.” (1) Do I recognize the talents I receive is a gift (Grace) from my Master? (2) The more I serve, the more I will be serving! (3) The less I serve, the less I feel I can serve! ******* What to do with my talents begins with knowing (1) that it came from God, (2) God Himself (3) to converse with God to be on the right track of investing the talents!!! *** Lord, You know me as you knew these 3 servants! Be with me as You reveal Yourself to me, don’t let me turn away from You or be distracted by the world in fear, and give me the confidence to go where You send me to love whosoever You want me to love and to say what You want me to say! I pray in the Name of my Lord n Savior Jesus Christ and in agreement with the Holy Spirit as He prints and guides me Amen! *** Confidence by Sanctus Real https://youtu.be/AcdHGzI_kHM

August 28, 2021 at 09:54 AM

* prompts

August 28, 2021 at 08:50 AM

A beautiful and peaceful weekend as we go and share our "talents". Continued prayers for all Living Faith family.

August 28, 2021 at 07:46 AM

Greg, thank you. I felt my that my heart understood your words.

August 28, 2021 at 06:32 AM

I recently discovered this website and start my day by reading the daily readings and devotion. My confidence has been lacking and I struggle with intense anxiety during job interviews. This devotion has brought me encouragement. I need to realize my talents and use them to make a positive difference.

Patrick
August 28, 2021 at 03:56 PM

Well said Kim and I empathise with your situation. When I read Gregs excellent devotional earlier it brought back a few memories similar to you. At meetings I would rarely express my opinion or make suggestions out of fear that I would appear foolish and draw criticism. Many times others would articulate thoughts and ideas that I withheld and have them accepted. I would inwardly kick myself for yet again not having the courage to speak and become frustrated and disillusioned. Thankfully that's not the case now. The good news for me is found solace hope and guidance through scripture and daily commitment to reading devotionals Living Faith being one of the best. I trusted and became friendly with a Sr. Hilary. I spoke to her openly about many things including my fears and lack of self belief. One day she said to me as accurately as I can remember. "Pat you have good ideas and people will respect what you have to say, keep reading scripture and stay connected to like minded Christians. You have started the journey and will move from being covert to overt" You are in the right place Kim :-)

Bill L
August 28, 2021 at 03:18 PM

Welcome, Kim. Yes, you have the abilities to be successful. Let them shine! I can't play an instrument in the choir but I can serve coffee and donuts with the best of them! Prayers for the Living Faith family today.

Jane
August 28, 2021 at 08:26 AM

Welcome to the community Kim!

August 28, 2021 at 08:23 AM

You go girl. I will pray for you right now. Use the talents the Lord has given you Troy, Monica his mother was yesterday's saint. Living faith family please keep the essential workers and firefighters and their families in your prayers. Let's not forget the souls in purgatory and the souls who have no one to pray for them. Finally keep in your prayers those soldiers and the people suffering in Afghanistan. I am praying right now. Ken

EM 1
August 28, 2021 at 07:19 AM

Amen. Kim, I will pray for you. You are on the right track by joining this faith filled community who share their vulnerabilities, love, and talents. Prayers for all.

August 28, 2021 at 04:40 AM