August 27, 2021
St. Monica
The Holy Act of Waiting
Since the bridegroom was long delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
Matthew 25:5

We seek to be intimately united with Christ, but the consolations and fervor of our Christian vocation can come and go. Sometimes we may feel the lack of God’s presence and wonder why, in spite of God’s love for us, we still feel tired, alone, hungry or longing.

We should not condemn this feeling of lack. It is the source of our desire for God. Wisdom is knowing that nothing but God can fulfill it. We may get bored with waiting. We want to busy ourselves with work, devotions, relationships or consumption of food and material goods. But even now in summer, as the Advent seasons of the past have taught us, waiting is itself a holy act. Waiting acknowledges that we are powerless to save ourselves.

Lord, help me to trust that you will arrive!

- Elizabeth Duffy

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 • Psalm 97:1-2, 5-6, 10-12 Matthew 25:1-13

Comments

August 27, 2021 at 02:41 PM

Holy God we pray that we would “Stand” while we wait for You to move. TPT Ephesians 6:12,13 - “Your hand-to-hand combat is not with human beings, but with the highest powers operating in rebellion under heavenly realms. They hold this world in bondage. Because of this, you must wear all-the-armor-that God provides so you are protected as you confront the slanderer, FOR YOU ARE DESTINED FOR ALL THINGS AND WILL RISE VICTORIOUS!” Pour Your Holy Spirit out upon us as we “stand” against evil and sickness. God save both our families and church families whom we love ❤️ dearly from the slanderers’ demented ideas and plans. Listen not, dear Father, to their rebellious vile voices, for we ❤️LOVE you God and the slanderer’s actions are questionable. We yearn for Your Presence Father and the slanderer tries to take our health down so that we fail to meet the mark. Heal us today and bring those in purgatory to Your palace and clothe them in righteousness we humbly ask. As we read your promises, Holy God, throughout Your Word, and it is Your desire for us to be healed by Jesus’ stripes, for Your Son- Jesus, whom we crave His Love ❤️ and whom is the rose ???? of Sharon, that we chase from sun-up TO sun- down, and hope we dream about Him in our sleep; this One so holy suffered greatly so that we could become sons-and-daughters of God. We long to hold Christ on that day. Let us be well, clear-headed, and strong to love Your elect and help them to You, Father God enhance Your Kingdom. We request and believe these things in Jesus name, above all names. Amen ???? Hear our prayers.

August 27, 2021 at 10:16 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family . Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation . Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

August 27, 2021 at 08:28 AM

Waiting can be the hardest thing we do. Please pray for our friend Ben. Day after his 39th birthday he had an aortic dissection. In critical condition. God is good and waiting to heal is hard.

kjc
August 27, 2021 at 11:15 AM

I will pray for Ben right now

August 27, 2021 at 08:09 AM

Amen…

August 27, 2021 at 08:08 AM

August 27, 2021 at 07:14 AM

Noticed all fell asleep.. only half were prepared .

August 27, 2021 at 06:25 AM

I've waited many years to discover that we're saved by God's grace alone. With that discovery, I honestly feel, almost always, that I'm waiting no longer. God is so very, very good.

August 27, 2021 at 02:45 PM

Amen, Mary! God is good all the time and all the time God is good :-) You have discovered the pearl and you sold all your land of preconception in working for your faith in your past. You are now prepared like the five virgins who had flasks with oil, the Holy Spirit! The difference between the wise and the foolish…the Holy Spirit!

August 27, 2021 at 06:07 AM

Today’s devotion speaks to me. I am waiting for God to intervene and provide me with much needed assistance. Waiting is hard but I must continue. I need to trust God and his plan for my family.

August 27, 2021 at 11:54 AM

Kim I know that it's hard to wait. Patience hasn't been my strong attribute. I will pray for you right now that the help you are waiting for will come. Kim remember the Lord prayer "thy will be done " Whenever a door is shut another window or door will be opened. Praying right now Ken

Maureen
August 27, 2021 at 07:00 AM

For your intentions through the will of the Father, I pray...???????? Our Father, who art in heaven...