August 25, 2021
St. Louis; St. Joseph Calasanz
God’s Presence Everywhere
You have searched me and you know me, Lord.
Psalm 139:1 (responsorial)

God is present to us always—in celebration and mourning, when we welcome it and when, maybe, we’d rather not admit to what we’re doing or thinking. “Surely the darkness shall hide me,” the psalmist imagines saying. From Adam and Eve in the garden thinking they can hide from God until today, we human persons have wrestled with what theologians call immanence. That is, God is not just something distant up in the clouds, but with us, around us, always. It’s something I can know without really being able to explain why. There is no hiding from God, and this is a blessing beyond imagining. Because when I am rebelling against what I think God wants for me, that’s when I need God’s presence most of all. What a blessing to be fully known.

Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You knit me in my mother’s womb.

- Phil Fox Rose

1 Thessalonians 2:9-13 • Psalm 139:7-12 Matthew 23:27-32

Comments

August 25, 2021 at 01:21 PM

It’s the best thing in the world is to wake-up and know God is already with us. Security, confidence, and His Love ❤️ felt all-in-one-second. 1 John 3:1. Look with wonder at the depth of the Father’s marvelous love that he has lavished on us! He has called us and made us his very own beloved children. What a wonderful day this is going to be.

August 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM

I'm so glad God made us and loves us. He didn't make my disability, but He made me able to wake up from a coma after about two months. I was in it because a car ran over me in 1973 when I was 19 months old. This didn't happen to the psalmist, but God still knew and loved him.

Bill L
August 25, 2021 at 05:01 PM

He needed you for more important things ahead, Drew. I hope you have discovered them.

August 25, 2021 at 12:27 PM

August 25, 2021 at 12:26 PM

August 25, 2021 at 09:43 AM

August 25, 2021 at 09:23 AM

Yes, God's presence - Jesus!!! *** Isaiah 7:14, "All right then, the Lord himself will give you the sign. Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel (which means ‘God is with us’)." *** Matthew 1:21-23, "And she will have a Son, and you are to name Him Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” All of this occurred to fulfill the Lord’s message through His prophet: “Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call Jim Immanuel, which means ‘God is with us.’” *** John 1:14, "So the Word became human and made His home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen His glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son." ******* Psalm 139 is one of my favorite especially 23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life." Yes, Lord Jesus! Search me, test me, point out to me and lead me :-) Amen! *** Posting this (next to my computer so I can see it everyday) I found in hand writing quoted by one of my BSF sisters: Ministry (serving) Is * Giving when you feel like keeping * Praying for others when you need to be prayed for * Feeding others when your own soul is hungry * Living truth before people even when you can't see results * Hurting with other people even when your own hurt can't be spoken * Keeping your word even when it is not convenient * Being faithful when your flesh wants to run away *** Truth Be Told by Matthew West https://youtu.be/lbqS806GU4I

August 25, 2021 at 09:17 AM

The problem is knowing thy self. God very well knows us and is here for us as we discover our very selves. It’s hard to see sometimes what our own faults are, where we lack. It’s only in trying to see as God sees can we unveil what is hidden inside and then take action to adjust our behavior in emulation of Christ. That’s the point isn’t it—to take what God has given us in body and mind and allow it to grow in a positive way. Emulating the whitewashed of society only serves to fool ourselves as well as others.

August 25, 2021 at 08:45 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

August 25, 2021 at 08:10 AM

August 25, 2021 at 07:50 AM

This is reassuring to know we are never alone. When lost this a good thing to remember and to reach out to our God who is with us and in us. I was a bit lost yesterday and last night the answer came to me giving me a true sense of peace. Now I have some work to do reaching out to some one I have not spoken to in decades!