August 24, 2021
St. Bartholomew
Jesus Sees Us
Before Philip called you, I saw you… you will see heaven opened…
John 1:48, 51

As kids on a family car trip in the hot summer, we loved the optical illusion of a pool across the road ahead of us. We knew, logically, the road was dry but still thrilled at the possibility the car would be immersed when it “got there.” Learning to see is a fascinating and lifelong work, even physically. Spiritually, it’s key. Jesus tells us it’s a matter of purifying the heart (sixth beatitude).

In today’s wonderful story of Jesus meeting Nathanael, John the Evangelist describes how Jesus “saw” Nathanael long before he beheld him with his physical eyes. Jesus sees into our hearts and knows us as we really are. As with Nathanael, we might find this news unsettling. But since Jesus’ heart is completely pure, and he sees with the vision of God, we need not fear his gaze. Rather, we can let it purify us so that we, too, can come to see the dazzling splendor of things as they really are.

- Mary Marrocco

Revelation 21:9b-14 • Psalm 145:10-13, 17-18 John 1:45-51

Comments

August 24, 2021 at 03:20 PM

The old adage, ‘Out of sight, and out of mind,’ does not apply to God; He is mindful of your every thought and activity. ‘Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ’ Colossians 3:23-24

August 24, 2021 at 12:43 PM

Can you say, "Heaven on earth!" *** Revelation 21:2, 9b-10, "I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.......The angel spoke to me (John), saying, “Come here. I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” He took me in spirit to a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God!" *** What will this heaven on earth be like? Revelation 21:3-4, "I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among His people! He will live with them, and they will be His people. God Himself will be with them. He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” And I say hallelujah and I can't wait to be there :-) *** In the mean time, Jesus is our connection (laddar - see Genesis 28:12) between heaven and earth (God and men) in John 1:51, "And He (Jesus) said to him (Nathanael), “Amen, amen, I say to you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man (Jesus, the Messiah).” Jesus called Nathanael, the true child of Israel (Jacob's new name). Jesus reminded them of Jacob's dream - Jacob's ladder in Genesis 28:12, "As he (Jacob) slept, he dreamed of a stairway that reached from the earth up to heaven. And he saw the angels of God going up and down the stairway." ******* A holy city, a new Jerusalem, the bride, the wife of the Lamb...the Church in Ephesians 5:32, "This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one!" You and I are part of the body of Christ, the Church, the wife of the Lamb, the bride, the new Jerusalem, the holy city...Let's practice heaven on earth as the hands and feet of Jesus, the body of Christ, the Church, the wife of the Lamb, the bride, the new Jerusalem, the holy city...coming down from heaven as Jesus our connection/laddar :-) Amen!

August 24, 2021 at 09:04 AM

August 24, 2021 at 08:46 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angles and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God, Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

August 24, 2021 at 08:14 AM

August 24, 2021 at 07:04 AM

Amen…

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
August 24, 2021 at 06:57 AM

Please accept my deepest condolence to you and your entire family. Keep in your mind and heart ❤ that earth has no sorrow than heaven can't heal.

August 24, 2021 at 06:42 AM

My brother passed away Saturday and his funeral is Aug.25. Need prayers for strength for me a him were very close

Jane
August 26, 2021 at 09:10 PM

Tommy, my heart aches for your loss. Wishing you strength and courage for the days ahead.

Bill L
August 24, 2021 at 05:42 PM

I will be including you and your brother in my prayer list tonight, Tommy.

Rita
August 24, 2021 at 12:12 PM

Tommy, my prayers are with you. May the Lord wrap his arms around you and comfort you.

T W
August 24, 2021 at 10:25 AM

May God Bless you and family!

August 24, 2021 at 09:20 AM

M Y sympathies remember death is not the end only the beginning for him

Holly
August 24, 2021 at 09:06 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss. Prayers for God to give you strength and peace.

August 24, 2021 at 09:02 AM

I am so sorry for your beloved loss, Tommy :-( I pray for God's presence, peace and power be with you during this time of grief!!! Hear what Jesus said in John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid!" *** Scars In Heaven by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/BCc7TCmKcwQ

Christine
August 24, 2021 at 08:43 AM

I'm so sorry, Tommy. May Jesus bring you his healing comfort

August 24, 2021 at 08:22 AM

Tommy I will pray for you and your brother right now and keep both of you in my prayers and thoughts as I am driving home from long island today. Trip this week to my bestfriend and wife's 50th wedding anniversary and renewable of vows was emotional. I was the best man and Kathy my best friend was there. All had great day and the children and grandchildren were darlings Living faith family please keep the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and the firefighters and their families in your prayers. Ken

Alyssa Peacock
August 24, 2021 at 07:20 AM

Prayers and God’s perfect peace.

Sandy
August 24, 2021 at 07:14 AM

Tommy, I will pray for you and remind you that the Lord is by your side.

EM 1
August 24, 2021 at 07:08 AM

Tommy so sorry for your loss. Offering up my rosary today for you and your brother. May God give you strength and comfort. Prayers for all.

Pam
August 24, 2021 at 07:04 AM

Tommy - Praying for His peace to strengthen and comfort you tomorrow…and every day. God Bless your brother, and all who love him.

Carol
August 24, 2021 at 07:03 AM

Prayers and Peace for you and your family.

ANNETTE
August 24, 2021 at 07:00 AM

Keeping you in prayer today and throughout the week. May God be by your side.

Katj
August 24, 2021 at 06:52 AM

So sorry to hear Tommy. Praying for God to lift you up and give you the strength to get through the days.