August 23, 2021
St. Rose of Lima
The Call to Intercede
We give thanks to God always for all of you, remembering you in our prayers…
1 Thessalonians 1:2

When Paul greeted the Thessalonians, he began by telling them he had prayed for them. This greeting assured them of his concern and care. When I tell someone, “I’ll pray for you,” I take that commitment seriously because I know how much prayer makes a difference. Not because my prayers coerce God to act in a certain way, but because prayer offers support and encouragement by recognizing that God is involved in the situation. Many times when I’ve experienced the effect of someone praying for me, it empowered me to make it through whatever was happening. This experience has led me to want to pray for others. So each morning, a part of my quiet time includes a list of names—those for whom I’ve promised to pray. I hold the list in my hands and entrust them into God’s care, confident that they will be strengthened for their journey by the One who knows what they need.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp

1 Thessalonians 1:1-5, 8b-10 • Psalm 149:1-6, 9 Matthew 23:13-22

Comments

August 23, 2021 at 10:38 PM

It is amazing to see the requests and loving responses from this faith family. I am praying for all through the power of our Holy Trinity and our faith given to us as a gift. Amen

August 23, 2021 at 05:49 PM

I have a Prayer Bowl. I place the person’s name, sometimes the reason into the prayer bowl. As I pass my prayer bowl often I will place my hand upon it and ask for God’s mercy on each of these people. It’s wonderful to read through the requests and write thank you on each that have been answered. I’ve even had nonbelievers ask me to include someone in the prayer bowl. Amen Lord

August 23, 2021 at 05:09 PM

To the Living Faith family, looks like we have our work cut out for us today. I will add you all to my prayer list as Sister Joyce suggested she does. I know that we can never say too many prayers.

August 23, 2021 at 12:34 PM

Asking for healing prayers for those suffering from cancer; especially my brother.

Eliza
August 23, 2021 at 05:20 PM

Please heal Loretta's brother in Jesus's Name. And my 5yr cat Rosie who has lymphoma. Padre Pio Saint Peregrine Saint Therese Rose and Our Lady of Perpetua Help pray for us who have recourse to thee.

T W
August 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM

Lord Heal them in Your Holy and Everlasting Name!

August 23, 2021 at 11:37 AM

It is so easy to say, "I will pray for you!" And when I go on with my daily chores and I forget to pray for that person, I feel quilty! So now I pray for them right then right there...my prayer does not have to be elegant or prayer like, they just have to come from my heart in agreement with the Holy Spirit!!! My prayer means nothing if the Holy Spirit is not in it...I love praying Scripture...what is more effective than reminding God (not that He needs reminding, but that He knows I hear what He tells me :-) what He has promised He will do? *** Romans 8:26-27, "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God!" So many times, I would be in tears praying for someone not knowng what to say and this is my go to prayer, "I do not know what to pray or say, but You do, Lord! May the Holy Spirit intercede for (name of this person) and his/her family in accordance with God's will! And I praise You Lord that You will do what You say You will do and Your Name is known and glorified! In Jesus' Name I pray in agreement with the Holy Spirit! Amen!" *** 1 John 5:14-15, "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will (in and from Scripture), He hears us. And if we know that He hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of Him!" *** Romans 12:2, 12, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will...Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer!" ******** My prayer in 1 Thessalonians 1:2-5.......I give thanks to God always for all of you here at LF, remembering you in my prayers, unceasingly calling to mind your work of faith and labor of love and endurance in hope of our Lord Jesus Christ, before our God and Father, knowing, brothers and sisters loved by God, how you were chosen. For our Gospel did not come to you in word alone, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with much conviction. You know what sort of person I am among you for your sake. In every place your faith in God has gone forth, so that I have no need to say anything! Amen! When We Pray by Tauren Wells https://youtu.be/cqicUCaa6ag

Rita
August 23, 2021 at 12:10 PM

Salina, thank you for your prayers. Also sending up prayers to our Lord for all the prayer requests asked for today. May the Lord wrap you all in his loving arms and give you peace. Thank you Lord.

August 23, 2021 at 11:04 AM

Please pray for my son Steven. He has strayed from the church and has not baptized his son yet. He and his wife have two other children who have been baptized.. I pray they christen this child and raise them all in the Catholic faith. Also, please pray that his two children from his previous marriage return to him.

T W
August 23, 2021 at 12:39 PM

That's a Faithful Prayer Request. Work it out Jesus like I know You can!

August 23, 2021 at 10:10 AM

Sr. Joyce my son is very ill in the hospital fighting COVID. I truly believe all the prayers of our family and friends has made a difference. May God bless the doctors and caregivers treating him. I will pray for all the requests I see today. God bless the LF family with peace, healing and comfort. Amen

T W
August 23, 2021 at 12:42 PM

Your words are so true. Heal him in your Holy and Everlasting Name!

August 23, 2021 at 10:06 AM

Amen! This made me think of my mother, who has lived 3 hours from me for several years. We both have ups and downs of daily living, and the inability to be immediately physically present in times of need has led us to depend on our prayers for each other. We have seen God's goodness and mercy in answering our prayers, which strengthens and blesses us and encourages us to pray more for others. Thank you for this beautiful message, Sister Joyce! Prayers for all the requests and needs mentioned today. God will work in your lives in amazing ways and bless you for trusting in Him.

August 23, 2021 at 09:42 AM

Please pray for my sons that they remain healthy and avoid the temptations of drugs and alcohol. Give them the strength to face life challenges. Bless them with your grace, love, and protection. Amen

T W
August 23, 2021 at 12:37 PM

That's a Sincere and Honest Prayer Request. Do it for them Jesus!

August 23, 2021 at 09:35 AM

Please pray for my daughter, Shannon, that she sees what GOD has created in her. She is going through a very emotionally abusive time and needs to find peace of mind. Thank you!!!!

T W
August 23, 2021 at 12:46 PM

Lord lead, guide, restore her joy and peace of mind!

August 23, 2021 at 09:27 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

August 23, 2021 at 09:08 AM

Thanks Ken

Annette
August 23, 2021 at 10:06 AM

Awesome prayer! Thank you Jesus for your awesome prayer warriors

August 23, 2021 at 08:47 AM

Please pray for my brother who is struggling with drug addiction. He has entered another 30-day treatment center. He wants to be healthy. He is an amazing man. Please pray that he comes to realize the love our Lord has for him and that he feels worthy of that love. Thank you.

August 23, 2021 at 09:03 AM

Margie,I will pray for you and your brother. Juan I will pray for you and Joaquin. J jay ask the holy spirit to guide your mind and control your thoughts. Demons don't like this prayer. Susan and your husband will also be in my prayers. Think about changing parish and seeing a priest. MB I will pray for Brock and Margie for your brother. All of you guys I am praying right now as I need to do it today. Ken

MB
August 23, 2021 at 09:03 AM

Hi Margie I have been praying for those with mental health and addiction problems...oh that Jesus touches your brother to the core so he knows he is loved through and through

August 23, 2021 at 08:17 AM

August 23, 2021 at 08:11 AM

Please pray for 8 week of Brock who is having liver issues...for wise doctors, appropriate investigations, peace for the family and healing. Thank you

August 23, 2021 at 08:05 AM

Please pray for my husband as he turns over a new leaf at his job. Also I’ve been slandered by church people, shunned, and lost my good reputation. Please pray for my husband. Please pray for me.

Robin G
August 23, 2021 at 01:28 PM

Just like you, I have been shunned, openly scolded all the time for nothing (and they do the same thing & their friends ex. Buying art that was a flower & not a religious figure), and tossed aside as dirt. I am saying they are looking for reasons to ridicule me. People that do this to us do not like us. Duck’s do this to other ducks. They single-out a duck to abuse and take their hostilities out upon. My advice is to keep your distance from abusers/haters because it is sin they lay upon us and we do not have to take -it in the United States. We pray for their hearts to soften to love us, and keep loving them from a distance. But is their error to make their selves out to be better than us; and, their loss for missing out on the love we are capable of giving to God’s children. They do this sin to make their selves fell better- elevation. Please let’s keep in touch and pray for each other. We can through Christ change things with less sin. And our holiness is what God wants from us - less sin on both sides.

August 23, 2021 at 08:02 AM

Please pray for me Sr. Joyce. I'm worried that a demon has entered my soul.

Mel
August 23, 2021 at 09:13 AM

JJ, many who read your request will be praying for you.

August 23, 2021 at 07:49 AM

Entrusting people to God’s care…I know You can guide them.

Patrick
August 23, 2021 at 08:12 AM

Amen to that

August 23, 2021 at 07:33 AM

A good reflection that made me realize that when I say to someone,” I’ll keep you in my prayers,” it is a commitment I need to take more seriously, for there is power in a prayer. Amen.

August 23, 2021 at 07:08 AM

Can you please keep my Grandson Joaquin in your daily prayers Thank You

T W
August 23, 2021 at 12:47 PM

Praying for his restoration!

Katj
August 23, 2021 at 08:03 AM

Juan, your grandson will be on my “list”.

August 23, 2021 at 06:21 AM

Amen. ???? Thank you, Sr. Joyce.

Jan M.
August 23, 2021 at 06:23 AM

I'm sorry that my praying hands emoji turned into question marks.

August 23, 2021 at 05:07 AM

Great reflection, Sr Joyce. Thanks.

EN
August 23, 2021 at 06:48 AM

No need to appologize for your ???? marks. It made me question my prayer life and I realize mine needs to be questioned. I use to write down the names of people who needed my prayers, I used to pray for them every day. I tend to be a bit of a yo-yo, letting my busyness and wordly things distract me from what is most important. Time to put the yo-yo away and get back to making time for my prayer life. Thank you all for all you do to help support others!