August 22, 2021
Twenty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time
Nowhere Better to Turn
Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”
John 6:68

To live long, rich and fulfilling lives, we turn to many different kinds of people. We turn to our parents and teachers to instruct us in what we need to succeed and prosper. We turn to doctors and other scientists to guide us toward healthy lives. Perhaps we look to inspirational writers and speakers to point us toward more interesting, successful and ethical lives. These people can be a blessing.

But none of them—however beneficial—can offer what only God can give through a life in Christ. It’s good to reach our fullest potential, but only God can give us life beyond this all-too-fleeting moment in time, however fulfilling it has been.

To whom else can we turn? Only to you, Jesus.

- Steve Givens

Joshua 24:1-2a, 15-17, 18b • Psalm 34:2-3, 16-21 Ephesians 5:21-32 • John 6:60-69

Comments

August 22, 2021 at 05:04 PM

John 6:63 New Catholic Bible It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh can achieve nothing. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. This shows this is a spiritual and not literal body and blood.

August 22, 2021 at 03:22 PM

Yes, Lord Jesus! "As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD!" (Joshua 24:15c) "Master, to whom shall I go? You have the Words of eternal life. I have come to believe and am convinced that You are the Holy One of God!" (John 6:68-69) *** It is interesting to read these verses in (1) Joshua 24:1, "Joshua gathered together all the tribes of Israel at Shechem, summoning the elders, leaders, judges, and officers of Israel. When they stood in RANKS before God," (2) Ephesians 5:22-23, "Wives should be SUBORDINATE to their husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is head of his wife just as Christ is head of the church," (3) Ephesians 5:25-27, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and GAVE HIMSELF UP for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the Word, and to present her to Himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." *** Can you say, "Let's spin it!" (1) There is no equity but privileges and class in this spinned Christian worldview (2) The husband rules over the wife according to the husband's spinned Christian worldview (3) The husband dies for the wife according to the wife's spinned Christian worldview *** How one can take God's Word out of context and spin it according to one's desire :-( I used to say, "If my husband would give up his life for me and I would submit to his authority!" My husband could have said, "If my wife would submit to me, I would be happy to give up my life!" *** What is the context here? Ephesians 5:21, "Brothers and sisters: Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ!" Here is the ranking - Jesus as the head of the church, husbands and wife submitting to one another as the church, and wives submitting to their husbands as in the marriage! *** This is a hard saying to accept if you separate each of these three ranks! For me these three ranks are sequential for them to work: (1) Jesus is the head and center of the marriage (2) Both husband and wife are equally made in the image of God, but they were made differently (out of dust for Adam and out of a rib in Adam for Eve) (3) When Jesus is the head of the marriage and husband and wife respect each other as in the image of God, then wife submits to her huaband's God given authority and husband loves his wife giving up his life for her :-) *** These are God's Words, not the husband's or the wife's! John 6:63c, 68c, "Your Words, Lord, are Spirit and life; You have the Words of everlasting life!" *** Paul summed it up for us in Ephesians 5:32-33, "This is a great mystery, but I speak in reference to Christ and the church. In any case, each one of you should love his wife as himself, and the wife should respect her husband!" What is the mystery? The mystery that when I know how to reference Christ in my relationship with Jesus, then I know how to relate to one another in a marriage as husabnd and wife :-) ******* Psalm 34:1-3, "I will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak His praises. I will boast only in the Lord; let all who are helpless take heart. Come, let us tell of the Lord’s greatness; let us exalt His Name together!" Amen! Praise The Lord (To God Be the Glory) https://youtu.be/qESGVcfLZEE

August 22, 2021 at 12:12 PM

Amen. :)

August 22, 2021 at 11:19 AM

Greetings to everyone in the Living Faith family today. Thanks for reading and commenting and praying for each other. This week my wife, Sue, and I are celebrating our 41st anniversary, so say a special prayer of thanksgiving for us and our family.

August 22, 2021 at 05:33 PM

Steve sorry I am late reading your comment. But be aware that I will pray for you right now. And tuck you and yours in my prayers

Katj
August 22, 2021 at 05:10 PM

Have a blessed and happy anniversary!

Bill L
August 22, 2021 at 04:36 PM

Thank you, Steve, for your always insightful devotions. You and your wife, Sue, will be in my prayers as you enjoy you anniversary. You and the many talented writers we read are an inspiration to us as you bring these passages to life.

EM 1
August 22, 2021 at 01:30 PM

Congratulations Steve. May God continue to bless you Sue and your family for many more years. Wonderful comments by everyone. Prayers for all.

Patrick
August 22, 2021 at 01:21 PM

Amen, Steve and Sue a wonderful milestone

August 22, 2021 at 10:15 AM

August 22, 2021 at 08:59 AM

"The God of eternal life". Who is that for you? Who will you serve. Serve, follow, what takes up most of our time. Let me begin by saying I have nothing against these devices of which I mention here, they are our life and for most a very necessary part of our life, BUT. Do see how much these cell phones, tablets, computers have affected the younger population. The younger population is now in their 30's and 40's but the strength of these users, are possibly our children and our grand children. I sigh at the thought of this continuing, because their attention is taken away from what is most important, God. I pray that some of the extra time that is used in screen time and goes to him in prayer. Let him know as Peter did in today's Gospel, "where should we go Lord". You are the son of God, the Christ, your way is the way to eternal life. As I am getting much older and with every year I come closer to the end of my life, whenever that might be in our own lives. I can only pray that I have in my practices and examples in my life rubbed off to my children to follow these ways, to take time away from the screen and put forth a portion of this for God, so that they may also have a personal relationship with him for many years to come, after I have left. Dear Jesus, use me as your servant to others, in an effort to help others know the way to you so that you too can be their God. May all of the prayers of this family gather here today, be lifted up to you Lord. May the prayers of those with no one to pray for them, have their prayers heard as well. Lastly and very importantly, please have mercy of the souls in Purgatory that they may be lifted up to you in your Kingdom this day, we pray, Amen.

Steve Givens
August 22, 2021 at 12:17 PM

Beautiful insights, Tim. The tools are only as good as how they are used. Many things can be turned to divine use but that is the choice we must all make. Agree that controlling "screen time" makes sense for all us, even if we begin our days "on screen" with resources for prayer, like this one. We need to instill in ourselves (and in children and grandchildren, as you say) the desire to just be alone and find God in the stillness, as well as in the sacraments and in community. Let's pray they see something in us they want to emulate.

AT
August 22, 2021 at 09:38 AM

Tim, thank you for your comment. I read your responses daily and they are always so meaningful and filled with spiritual wisdom. I just wanted to give you some peace of mind and reassurance. I am a young adult in my 30s and spend every morning on my smartphone...but it is spent first reading the daily mass readings, then reading the wonderful reflections from the Living Faith family and you, and finally watching Dr. Tim Gray's daily reflection on Formed. I use my smartphone to increase my knowledge, faith, and love for God, rather than as a replacement :) Hopefully there are many more out there doing the same.

August 22, 2021 at 08:29 AM

So true. Nothing on Earth can replace, or should replace, staying close to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I thank God every day for the gift of my holy Roman Catholic Faith. Thank you, God, for all the blessings you have bestowed on me, sinner that I am. Great devotional, Steve.

Steve Givens
August 22, 2021 at 11:15 AM

Thanks, AZMom. (If that means "Arizona Mom," we're relatively close today, as my wife and I are visiting Sedona to take in the beauty of God's world in this part of the country). All the best to you and your family...