August 21, 2021
St. Pius X
The King’s Humility
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled.
Matthew 23:12

When Jesus proclaimed his Good News to the world, he spoke in his own characteristic way by amply filling his Gospel message with spiritual paradoxes. These unique teachings are seemingly contradictory statements that become impressive guidelines for Christian living. For example: In death, we find fullness of life. It is better to be a person who serves rather than be served. Anyone who boasts and brags about himself will not be exalted but humbled. These sayings are like spiritual conundrums stubbornly standing in opposition to mundane thinking and worldly values.

Most of all, Jesus himself is a paradox—the greatest and most dramatic paradox imaginable. Jesus is Lord, king, master and all powerful, and yet he voluntarily submitted to be arrested, beaten and nailed to the Cross. He was innocent and filled with life, but he chose to accept a most painful death in order to free the guilty.

Jesus, king of heaven and earth, make us to be humble like you

- Fr. James McKarns

Ruth 2:1-3, 8-11; 4:13-17 • Psalm 128:1-5 Matthew 23:1-12

Comments

August 21, 2021 at 08:48 PM

I admit that any glory I may have comes from God.

August 21, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Living faith staff. Isn't anybody requesting prayers?? On the the prayer requests site or is my smartphone not being smart. Ken

Living Faith Team
August 23, 2021 at 10:01 AM

Every now and then we get a day without prayer requests on the prayer center. Sometimes refreshing the page helps! Thanks for your concern and for your intercessory prayers for others!

August 21, 2021 at 11:15 AM

August 21, 2021 at 07:45 AM

AMEN!!

August 21, 2021 at 05:53 AM

Jesus was the perfect example of how we should behave in our lives, this devotional illustrates His humility. Here’s a true saying: ‘Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.’ That doesn’t mean being a doormat for people to walk on or being spineless with no convictions and opinions. Todays gospel highlights the false humility of the Pharisees, but when I consider my behaviour at times, I am slow to judge them too harshly. True humility is acknowledging God as the source of all you have, and all you need, and always remembering to give Him credit for both. I don't use the mask of false humility when I keep this in mind, although I can slip it on unconsciously if I am not careful, ego can be subtle as well as brash. The two passages below leave no doubt about the correct approach. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled. Matthew 23:12, Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. James 4:10

Bill L
August 21, 2021 at 03:21 PM

Very true, Patrick. Hope I get this right...It is a humbling experience to humbled by your actions.