August 19, 2021
St. John Eudes
Shifting Our Focus
Blessed the man who makes the LORD his trust;
who turns not to idolatry…
Psalm 40:5

We can mistakenly believe that we are not prone to creating idols; we don’t worship golden statues or create temples to false gods. I contend that we are far from off the hook. In fact, I bet you have one of your idols right nearby on the table, in your pocket or in your purse. It makes one sound, and we respond immediately. We stare at it, intently and often. It’s the last thing we look at before we go to bed and the first thing we look at in the morning. It wakes us up, keeps our calendar and manages all our communication. We often pay more time and attention to it than we do our spouses, children, friends or Bibles.

Our cell phone—technology created to help us manage our lives—more often than not, manages us. Let’s challenge ourselves to intentionally shift our focus away from screens and back to God.

- Kristin Armstrong

Judges 11:29-39a • Psalm 40:5, 7-10 Matthew 22:1-14

Comments

August 19, 2021 at 01:56 PM

God save guide and protect us from the gods of politics that have been oppressing the world today. As for me and my household, we Will Serve the Lord, the One True God.

August 19, 2021 at 12:27 PM

AMEN!! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

August 19, 2021 at 12:26 PM

I know who/what/where my idols is...standing right here in front of the mirror...me!!! I cater to my desires, I do what pleases me and what I think is right, I care about how I think, feel and react, etc :-( Yes, sometimes I create God in my image so everything I do is in line with God's thinking! The definition of idol is anything, anyone, anytime and anywhere that takes the place of God Himself! I can't get rid of me, the idol :-( But I can ask God the Father, God the Son Jesus and God the Holy Spirit to transform and sanctify me into the image of God He created me to be. So He sent me my husband and gave me two girls :-):-):-) *** It was hard for me to fathom the first passage in Judges 11:30-31, 39a, "Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. “If you deliver the Ammonites into my power,” he said, “whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites shall belong to the LORD. I shall offer him up as a burnt offering...At the end of the two months she (his only daugther) returned to her father, who did to her as he had vowed." *** I know the Bible is NOT what some people think is just a good book, but God's Word to me! It does not eliminate or hide the bad things, it tells me exactly what God wants to tell me! *** Why did Jephthah sacrifice his daughter to the Lord? Why did God allow that to happen? Why was it in the Bible? I don't have any answers...but I do know Who God is :-) Salina's thoughts - God told the Israelites to kill the inhibitants in the promise land and they didn't. The result is the Israelites adopted the local culture of sacrifices mixed in with their own 'religion!' (they didn't establish a personal relationship with God, always through their leaders like Moses and Joshua, etc) Jeremiah 19:3b-5, "This is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Listen! I am going to bring a disaster on this place that will make the ears of everyone who hears of it tingle. For they have forsaken Me and made this a place of foreign gods; they have burned incense in it to gods that neither they nor their ancestors nor the kings of Judah ever knew, and they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent. They have built the high places of Baal to burn their children in the fire as offerings to Baal—something I did not command or mention, nor did it enter My Mind!" (P.S. Why are there conflicts in the Middle East with Israel forever? Read Jeremiah 19:6-9. The Israelites did not listen to the instructions of God! And God knew they would not follow His instructions, but they are still His chosen people! That just blows my mind :-) *** https://www.gotquestions.org/Jephthahs-daughter.html *** The wedding garment caught my thoughts in Matthew 22:11-13, "But when the King came in to meet the guests He saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment. He said to him, ‘My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?’ But he was reduced to silence. Then the king said to His attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’" The bottom line is I cannot enter into the heaven on my own garment (my good works and self-righteousness). My wedding garment is provided by the King Jesus Whose work was completed on the cross and His rightousness! Therefore, "Many are invited, but few are chosen!" (Matthew 22:14) So many of us are trying to get into wedding feast on our own garment (good work and righteousness) and refuse to accept the wedding garment provided by Jesus, my King and my Lord! *** https://www.gotquestions.org/parable-wedding-feast.html *** Until Grace by Tauren Wells and Gary LeVox https://youtu.be/vqSvTJeGU0k

August 19, 2021 at 10:56 AM

August 19, 2021 at 09:18 AM

Is this Heaven. In today’s Gospel, Jesus describes for us that Heaven is like the wedding celebration. Jesus, invites us all to the most important celebration of all. Not as guests, but as members of the church. Christ’s bride is the church. Are we all invited to the feast of the Lamb. Jesus offered his life as a sacrifice for our sins and we should be elated to be invited and should come running to him with our hearts wide open to accept this enormous grace given to us. Jesus’s parable contains two stories. The first, the king had sent out invitations and they refused to come, they felt they had better things to do than to make time to come to the wedding feast. They put their own interests before his. How many times do we do the same. Jesus offers us the Kingdom of Heaven through him, but we keep busy doing what we are doing or saying we just do not have the time. Jesus’s heart is broken, bruised when we act this way. Jesus has his Devine Mercy to offer each of us, but we continue to say to him, that we have better things to do. This not only hurts Jesus, but angers him as well. Jesus directs this warning to us, to show us how much God wants to share the joy of his kingdom, but also to give a warning about the consequences of refusing his one and only Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. This invitation is that important to our eternal life with Jesus. The second part of the story focuses on those who felt they were not good enough to come to the Wedding feast. However we know the rest of the story. The Kingdom of Heaven is for all, not just for some. This why Jesus says, many are invited, but few are chosen. Do we take the time in our day to put God first, or do we simply brush it off and say when we get time we will. Do not follow this last example, but come to him, ask for his Mercy, do not forget what he if offering each of us. Remember his passion, how he suffered so much for us to give us himself. When we are totally committed to having Jesus in our lives every day, we will be saying to ourselves, is this Heaven. Continued prayers for our Living Faith Family and for the ones who do not have anyone to offer up prayers for them. Dear Jesus hear our Prayers for all of the souls in Purgatory, that today will be the day they are reunited with Christ in his Heavenly Kingdom, we pray, Amen.

August 19, 2021 at 08:17 AM

August 19, 2021 at 07:53 AM

The Idol question…..Does it own me? Sometimes they do for a time. I love them moment when I realize it and decide to do something about it. Creating the space for the relationship that is more important. Prioritizing differently.

August 19, 2021 at 07:47 AM

Amen..

August 19, 2021 at 07:37 AM

Your mind and ego are the same, you willfully control them or they control you! Peace be with you all!

August 19, 2021 at 07:24 AM

Anything can be an Idol. The question is: Are we using it to serve God or are we serving it?

Eliza
August 19, 2021 at 01:59 PM

Yes Troy, yes. God bless you.

August 19, 2021 at 03:12 AM

My first reaction was a wry smile as I read this on my smart phone. It’s a useful tool if we control it but a horrendous taskmaster it we let it control us. Some time ago I cleared many apps and alerts off the phone as it was just far to insidious. It’s not the only culprit there are other idols that can distract me from what is more important. I try to live by Matthew 6:33 “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

August 19, 2021 at 08:31 AM

Yes I use my phone to remind me of things, but also have living faith site on it as well as bible gateway and morning Offering which I go to every day. Today is my oldest grandson birthday and my youngest daughter wedding anniversary Mass for them. Starting the diary of Saint Faustina, the introduction is special. Keep all the people who need our prayers in your prayers. Ken