August 18, 2021
God’s Generosity
What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money? Are you envious because I am generous?
Matthew 20:14-15

This parable can get us caught up in backing the disgruntled workers. But a deeper message is being conveyed. In our usual experience, workers who only put in an hour would not be paid for the full day. Had this employer done that, he might have avoided “the grumbling” from the other workers who toiled all day in the hot sun. Instead, he paid all workers the full daily wage whether they worked an hour or the full day. The all-day workers are wanting either more pay or have the employer pay the one-hour guys less. They are not too happy with the employer’s generosity. While they were paid a fair wage for their work, they think they deserve more because the one-hour workers are getting the same pay for less work. It’s not a question of fairness. This is a lesson on coveting someone else’s good fortune.

- Paul Pennick

Judges 9:6-15 • Psalm 21:2-7 Matthew 20:1-16

Comments

August 18, 2021 at 10:25 PM

We don't know about the mental suffering the one-hour workers went through before they found work. Imagine looking for work all day and being worried that you would be unable to provide for your loved ones. Reminds me of the times we live in sin and the inevitable mental anguish that causes. I'm so much more at peace when I'm an "all-day worker," (even if I do have to sweat more).

Jane
August 19, 2021 at 07:43 AM

Thank you for sharing this and for coming at it with positive intent?! I hadn’t thought about this. What if they showed up in line after they finished working somewhere else - for a second shift or because they didn’t earn as much as they thought they would from the other job? My brother always tells me, Don’t take their inventory…you don’t know their story! I love the discussion and love the thought not to covet their good fortune here.

August 18, 2021 at 06:11 PM

This reminds me of the parable of the prodigal son! The older compliant son was mad when the father celebrated the return of the rebellious younger son. What do these parables tell me? *** I am a no better or worse sinner than anyone else! Romans 3:23, “for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” *** God is merciful! Ezekiel 33:11, “Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’” Romans 9:15-16, “ For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.” *** It is not what and how much good work I did, am doing and will do, but what Jesus has already done on the cross!!! Ephesians 2:8-9, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith —and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.” ******* This Is Amazing Grace by Phil Wickham https://youtu.be/zPQKj2Zptr0

August 18, 2021 at 05:08 PM

Hey, Drew. I, too, have read these for years. Commented the last few. You are welcome to jump in any time and comment and share your stories, feelings and prayers. I equate this parable to when my children would look at each other's bowls of ice cream I give them! Prayers to all those in need today.

August 18, 2021 at 02:36 PM

I'll bet the guys who worked all day wished they had waited until the last hour! Reminds me of Constantine, who refused to get baptized until he was on his deathbed. What is to prevent or dissuade this type of attitude?

August 18, 2021 at 12:12 PM

Hi! I'm Drew. I've read LIVING FAITH for years, but I've never posted here before. I hope I do it all right. I read a lot, but this parable's the only instance I've ever read about where people wait in line for work.

August 18, 2021 at 10:54 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan nd all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

August 18, 2021 at 09:43 AM

God is generous to all not just a few. Do not be envious of others or let it get in the way of our sincere efforts to serve our God. God’s generosity is to all who will enter his Kingdom, no matter if you come to him with all of your heart and served him your whole life, or that you were saved in the last hour of your life. Both will be with him in his Heavenly Kingdom. Jesus calls each us today, to serve God and his kingdom with all of our love, joy and enthusism and to do the same towards our neighbor as well. Jesus wants to fill each one of us with this same generosity that God has for us, so we can bear great fruit for God's kingdom, the fruit that will last forever. Remember the harvest is large, but the laborers are few. When we labor for the Lord, do not be concern on who else is serving, but labor for the Lord and our neighbor with the same love, joy and compassion and generosity, which the Lord has shown to us. Jesus, let the Holy Spirit come and fill my heart, soul and mind, with the same love and generosity you have for us. Your generosity is for all. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers of your Living Faith Family gathered here and for the prayers of those who have no one to pray for them. Dear Jesus, your mercy is endless, please come to souls in Purgatory and bring them into your Heavenly Kingdom today, we pray, Amen. While reading the diary of St. Faustina yesterday, I promised Jesus that I would share his words that he shared with St. Faustina. He spoke to her, asking for all of us to save sinners. We all have been chosen by Jesus to spread the glory of his mercy. There are times when our Lord Jesus allows terrible sufferings and then there are times when he does not allow suffering at all. Jesus says, these are his ways not ours. It is our responsibility to submit freely to his works, ways, mercy and his Holy will for us. Jesus says to St. Faustina, my daughter, your companion for me refresh’s me. By meditating on my passion, your soul acquires a distant beauty. Still in order that I share these words with you St. Faustina says, I must share with you his Devine Mercy. Even when Satan tries to interfere with temptation towards us. We must find inner strength given to us by Jesus as part of his Devine Mercy and defeat Satan and his worthless temptations towards our souls. Thank you for allowing me to share with you what has touched my heart and was shared with me by Jesus, yesterday. Amen.

August 18, 2021 at 09:31 AM

August 18, 2021 at 09:19 AM

Don’t covet someone else’s good fortune. I know this but sometimes I need it to be said so that I see it in the reflection of my own mirror. Thank you!

August 18, 2021 at 08:08 AM

August 18, 2021 at 07:48 AM

Amen..

August 18, 2021 at 07:07 AM

I too, love this perspective. And I agree with Paul on the lesson of a person's generosity. We can take this one step further. It also shows us that in the general scheme of salvation, we can all be saved, even at the end of the day (or earthly life). God wants all of us whether we were there from birth or at our last breath. Ironically this was a topic of evangelization yesterday with a Mormon man who believes in different levels of heaven. Mormons believe that there will be different levels of glory in heaven among men. Those who were more sinful will have a lesser level of glory. But Christians know that we are all perfected before we reach heaven and that we are all glorified in heaven. And that is the awesomeness of our loving God who died to save us all!

Tim
August 18, 2021 at 09:49 AM

Ken, Jesus has opened my eyes to Purgatory by reading St. Faustina’s Diary. Yes we must pray for all those souls in Purgatory, that they may be released to his Heavenly Kingdom. Every good deed and prayer on behalf of the souls will be heard by our Lord and Savior. In the dairy, Sister/Saint Faustina describes Purgatory and its suffering to us. She was in my opinion pretty perfect when it comes to giving her whole heart and soul to serve and love Jesus. She suffered much for us and for the souls in Purgatory, so that they may be spared this pain. Ken, you will have to let me know if you are enjoying reading the diary. It has changed my life for the good, for sure. Jesus talks to me through her words in her diary. Amen.

Patrick
August 18, 2021 at 09:39 AM

I agree Linda and Ken there are two aspects one for sure is our tendency to compare our circumstances with others. While we may have all we need our comparisons tend to be with those who apparently have more, creating wants that can become be endless. Maybe a comparison with those who have less would temper that. The good news of this parable for is that no matter at what point we give our lives to Christ we are accepted fully from that point onwards, no internship required

August 18, 2021 at 08:25 AM

Linda I totally agree we are purified in purgatory. I try to say this pray morning and night for the souls in purgatory. Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen. Living faith family I will pray for you guys at Mass this morning. Just finished a Novena to the assumption. Ken

Alyssa Peacock Respond to comment