July 24, 2021
St. Sharbel Makhlūf
Dealing With Weeds
His slaves said to him, “Do you want us to go and pull them up?” He replied, “No, if you pull up the weeds you might uproot the wheat along with them.”
Matthew 13:28-29

For many folks, including me, this parable can send us in an unusual direction. We have a farmer who tells his workers to let the weeds grow along with the crop. When harvest time arrives, he tells them the weeds are to be pulled up and burned. This is not what most of us consider typical agricultural practice. Usually, we try to keep all the weeds out from the very beginning to let the plants grow unencumbered.

Weeding is probably the most annoying task any farmer or gardener has to deal with. But this parable is not about good farming technique. It is about a world in which good people and bad people live side by side. The parable is making the point that, in the end, God will judge each of us on our good deeds and our misdeeds. The good people will enter the Kingdom; the rest will face a different fate—the weeds will be separated from the healthy crops.

- Paul Pennick

Exodus 24:3-8 • Psalm 50:1-2, 5-6, 14-15 Matthew 13:24-30

Comments

July 24, 2021 at 02:13 PM

Here is how Jesus explained this "weed" parable to His disciples in Matthew 13:36b-43a, "His disciples came to Him (Jesus) and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.” He answered, “The One Who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man (Jesus). The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. “As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. The Son of Man (Jesus) will send out His angels, and they will weed out of His Kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father." *** Jesus is talking about Judgement Day: (1)Jesus is the sower of wheat (2)God's people are the good seed (3)The world is the field (4)Evil people are the weeds (5) Satan is the sower of weeds (6)End of age is the harvest (7)Angels sent by Jesus are the harvesters. *** Do I allow Jesus to sow me into this world? Am I choking out the weeds? If I am not for Jesus, than I am against Him. There is no in between! Jesus said in Matthew 13:49:51a, "That is the way it will be at the end of the world. The angels will come and separate the wicked people from the righteous, throwing the wicked into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Do you understand all these things?” *** How about you? Do you understand all these things?******* All I can think of is "Only Jesus!" He is my all is all and He does it all! He is the sower, He is the Word (good seeds into my heart so I produce fruit bearing good seeds :-), He is the Living water, He is the sun (Son) and He sents His angels, harvesters!!! *** All To Jesus I Surrender https://youtu.be/7x2IpLSfqp8

July 24, 2021 at 11:20 AM

Love the photo…so appropriate! I live on an acreage with many gardens/beds. I love to tend them. It’s my God time! I use this time to think and pray. With many weeds! I try to recognize the weeds in my heart and ask God to help me get rid of them.

July 24, 2021 at 10:49 AM

July 24, 2021 at 10:37 AM

With the way of Jesus, time is also allowed for the "weeds" to become wheat!

Jane
July 24, 2021 at 04:03 PM

Oh yes….thank you for reminding me of how often my seeds sprout weeds, before they become flowers.

Mark
July 24, 2021 at 01:30 PM

I was going to comment separately but Christine hit it right on the head! His ways are not our ways. Praise be to Him and Him only!

Norm
July 24, 2021 at 11:01 AM

We are all both weeds (sinners) and wheat at various times. If the weeds were removed early most of us would be in big trouble and miss out on a lifetime of opportunities to experience God's mercy through repentance.

July 24, 2021 at 09:25 AM

July 24, 2021 at 09:10 AM

I found this reflection so comforting after spending an entire morning yesterday in a workshop where I experienced my version of the “weeds”. One of the participants was a Dementor who just sucked the life out of me and the rest of the room with each comment. They sometimes make it hard for the other seeds to have the energy to grow. I asked God to allow me to not close down, but to keep growing from the experience. Gratitude for that grace. Thank you God.

July 24, 2021 at 10:55 AM

Jane wow what a wonderful way to handle that person, when I have been attending meetings I would just ignore an shut them off. Lately with my advanced age, I repeat " she/he is a child of God " 5 or six times that helps. Yesterday I had a great birthday went to the Vietnam wall it's emotional but went with Luke my grandson and met Hendrix, other grandson and his dad . Living faith family I so enjoyed your comments Pam are you doing okay in your new location Tim Salina I totally love your comments and reflections Patrick hope every thing is okay. Living faith family please keep the firefighters in Florida and the west in your prayers they are fantastic Posted earlier but it didn't get sent Ken

July 24, 2021 at 08:56 AM

Amen. Thank you all who share their faith on these posts.

July 24, 2021 at 08:31 AM

Tim! I just saw your post from yesterday and like many, I go back to catch up on our comments, praises and petitions. Tim, I count on your heart to speak each day, miss you when I don’t see anything, then worry, but always thank God for each time you do share your heart and soul with us. I never tire of your reiteration to put God first! It has become my mantra! Yes, there has been a core community for many years that have posted Holy Spirit inspired comments that touch us all just when we need it. And what a joy to see new “family” members post their thoughts and prayers! It refreshes my soul with their God blessed hearts! So many times I’ve thought, “that’s exactly how I feel”! So, Tim, Salina, Ken (hope it was a Happy Birthday!), Patrick, a Sinner, et al - thank you for being grounded in your faith and love for God and living it.

Tim
July 24, 2021 at 10:13 AM

Pam, thank you for the beautiful comments. Trying each day to be a part of the wheat not the weeds. Blessing to everyone and remember as Pam mentions here, Put God First in your life and you will 100% see the transformation in your own lives. The harvest is large but the laborers are few. Pam, thank you for supporting us laborers when we need our pick me ups to continue the harvest. Knowing you are always there is the difference. Prayers for our Living Faith Family and for all of the souls who do not have anyone to pray for them. Lastly for all of the souls in Purgatory that they time there be short and today they see the face of the risen Lord in their Heavenly Kingdom, we pray, Amen.