grouplicense
grouplicense
July 21, 2021
St. Lawrence of Brindisi
Manna in the Desert
Here in the desert the whole assembly of the children of Israel grumbled against Moses and Aaron. [They] said…, “…you had to lead us into this desert to make the whole community die of famine!” Then the LORD said to Moses, “I will now rain down bread from heaven for you.”
Exodus 16:2, 3, 4

This chapter goes on to describe something the children of Israel began to notice on the ground in the morning after the dew had evaporated, something they called manna that could be made into bread.

Our months of the COVID-19 pandemic might have seemed like a kind of desert…each of us challenged to search for manna daily to nourish our spirits.

I began to notice something unique during my few outings to stores requiring the wearing of masks. I could not see faces. But sometimes, if I looked at someone, I’d see their eyes looking at me. When I looked back smiling, sometimes their eyes over their mask responded with real warmth. Manna in the desert! God nourished my spirit with smiling eyes.

- Patricia Livingston

Exodus 16:1-5, 9-15 • Psalm 78:18-19, 23-28 Matthew 13:1-9

Comments

July 21, 2021 at 12:04 PM

Reflections on the Word of this morning during my walk...(1) Who is the sower? Jesus is! (2) What is the seed? God's Word! (3) Where do I come in? My heart in soil types: a path (taken away by satan), rocky ground (falls away when problems arise), among thorns (crowded away by worries) and rich soil (30, 60 and 100 fold). *** Here is the thing - all of these four heart conditions LISTEN to God's Word! Jesus explained it in Mark 4:14-20, "The farmer plants seed by taking God’s Word to others. (Jesus did that for 3 years) The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message, only to have Satan come at once and take it away. The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long. They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God’s word. The seed that fell among the thorns represents others who hear God’s Word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced. And the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God’s Word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!” *** My heart condition can be one of these four when I read and hear God's Word! The more I read and hear God's Word, even the 30 fold can add up :-) *** How do I enrich the soil of my heart? Only the Holy Spirit can do that for me :-) When He indwells in my heart, He does the tilling, the fertilizing (stinky stuff), the watering and the sunning!!! All I do is to let Him :-)

July 21, 2021 at 10:21 AM

The Lord. Hears our cry, blessed is the Lord. The Lord hear our cry and will provide all that we need. We need to believe and not always be a complaining people when something go astray we immediately abandon ship. God deserves much better than that, which leads me to my next question, which soil bests represents our faith today. Also, which soil do we strive for in our lives. Soils and paths, similar, ending up in the same place. Let us change if we are not producing the soil that will bring good fruits. Let us do for others as we would like to have done for us. Let us Love One Another and let us always select the right path that God has prepared for us in our life. If I may, I would also like to share Jesus’s message shared with me during adoration yesterday, while reading and reflecting on the diary of St. Faustina. From all of my wounds (The Lords Passion), mercy flows for souls, but the wounds in my heart is the fountain of unfathomable mercy. From this fountain of mercy springs forth all graces for souls. I desire greatly to pour them out upon souls. “Speak to the whole world about my mercy. Can we, the Living Faith Family community share his message of mercy with others. To others who cannot fend for themselves, because they are too young, too ill, or have no one. Meditation on my passion will help us rise above all things, Jesus tells us. Jesus tells St. Faustina to share with us that he is more generous toward sinners than towards the just. It was for their sake that he came down from heaven, true food that will nourish us. It was for their sake that his blood was spilled. Jesus says in closing that let them not fear to approach me, they are most in need of my mercy. Are we not all sinners, trying to improve our lives and follow him. Come to him and ask for his divine mercy, we pray, Amen. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers gather here today from your Living Faith Family, give them comfort. Please hear the prayers from those who have no one to lift up their prayers to you, and especially hear our prayers today for all of the souls that are in Purgatory, may they be reunited in your presence in Heaven, we pray, Amen.

July 21, 2021 at 09:59 AM

Here we go again...the Israelites complaining! My takeaways today: (1) What provisions?Exodus 16:4, "Then the LORD said to Moses, “I will now rain down bread from heaven for you. Each day the people are to go out and gather their daily portion; thus will I test them, to see whether they follow My instructions or not." *** The provision was a test to see if they followed His instructions! (2) What instructions? Exodus 16:5, "On the sixth day, however, when they prepare what they bring in, let it be twice as much as they gather on the other days.” *** They could collect twice as much on the 6th day so they could honor the Sabbath day! (3) What is the reason for the provisions and instructions? Exodus 16:11-12, "The LORD spoke to Moses and said, “I have heard the grumbling of the children of Israel. Tell them: In the evening twilight you shall eat flesh, and in the morning you shall have your fill of bread, so that you may know that I, the LORD, AM your God.” *** "To God be the glory!" is the end result of everything and anything :-) ******* I can't help myself and I want to know what happens if I don't follow the instructions, or if I want more than then the next person? So I continue to read in Exodus 16:16-30! It is kind of funny though :-) I will let you read it for yourselves and draw your own conclusions/lessons, "These are the Lord’s instructions: Each household should gather as much as it needs. Pick up two quarts for each person in your tent.” So the people of Israel did as they were told. Some gathered a lot, some only a little. But when they measured it out, everyone had just enough. Those who gathered a lot had nothing left over, and those who gathered only a little had enough. Each family had just what it needed. Then Moses told them, “Do not keep any of it until morning.” But some of them didn’t listen and kept some of it until morning. But by then it was full of maggots and had a terrible smell. Moses was very angry with them. After this the people gathered the food morning by morning, each family according to its need. And as the sun became hot, the flakes they had not picked up melted and disappeared. On the sixth day, they gathered twice as much as usual—four quarts for each person instead of two. Then all the leaders of the community came and asked Moses for an explanation. He told them, “This is what the Lord commanded: Tomorrow will be a day of complete rest, a holy Sabbath day set apart for the Lord. So bake or boil as much as you want today, and set aside what is left for tomorrow.” So they put some aside until morning, just as Moses had commanded. And in the morning the leftover food was wholesome and good, without maggots or odor. Moses said, “Eat this food today, for today is a Sabbath day dedicated to the Lord. There will be no food on the ground today. You may gather the food for six days, but the seventh day is the Sabbath. There will be no food on the ground that day.” Some of the people went out anyway on the seventh day, but they found no food. The Lord asked Moses, “How long will these people refuse to obey my commands and instructions? They must realize that the Sabbath is the Lord’s gift to you. That is why He gives you a two-day supply on the sixth day, so there will be enough for two days. On the Sabbath day you must each stay in your place. Do not go out to pick up food on the seventh day.” So the people did not gather any food on the seventh day." Share with me your lessons/takeaways/conclusions from this passage.......

July 21, 2021 at 10:09 AM

That is why Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A closed on Sundays :-) And their financials and profits are no different than stores that open 7 days a week! And there are still certain "blue laws" in some states...a lot less now than before!

July 21, 2021 at 09:06 AM

Yes, I am a firm believer in the divine providence of God! He has provided for me in every way Possible! And I am forever grateful to Him for His kindness and His mercy! Right now my heart is heavy, I found out that a neighbor of mine is an atheist! I would ask you to please pray for Stefanie and she will come to know the Lord and His infinite mercy!! Let us pray for all the atheists of the world, those who think they cannot believe in God, those who refuse to believe in God and those who refuse to believe that there is a God! May the mercy of God open their hearts and minds to realize their error and come to know Him who is love Itself!

July 21, 2021 at 02:42 PM

Jo I will pray for Stephanie . Keep at by being a caring person, you are sending a perfect message, providing rich soil for her to grow. JAM, l love your know God saying. Living faith family I am sorry for responding later but Feedmore takes up my morning on Wednesday. Please pray for Rose, Maryann and Denise they're going through some rough times. Salina and Tim your comments are spot on as always. Ken

JAM
July 21, 2021 at 01:02 PM

I was reminded of a billboard I saw many years ago. "No God; No peace. Know God; Know peace." Maybe when your neighbor comes to realize that God exists and loves her even if she doesn't believe, she will come to find peace that is beyond our understanding. Keep praying!

Tim
July 21, 2021 at 09:50 AM

Jo, continue to sow those seeds daily that will eventually bear much fruit. We know God’s will is that they too will recognize that their current path is crowded and seems to lead no where. They will come and see from your good examples the path you are on is narrow and leads to good soil, one which has been prepared for you and your family. We pray, Amen. Have a blessed day!

July 21, 2021 at 09:30 AM

Amen, Jo!!! Thank you for your heavy heart! This is the work of the Holy Spirit in John 16:13-14, (Jesus said,)"But when He, the Spirit of Truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on His own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come. He will glorify Me because it is from Me that He will receive what He will make known to you!" (You can replace 'you' in this verse with your own name or the person you are praying for!)

July 21, 2021 at 08:49 AM

Amen! Our Lord provides for our needs, large and small. I am thankful and blessed!

July 21, 2021 at 08:13 AM

July 21, 2021 at 08:04 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heaven s, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

July 21, 2021 at 07:46 AM

May we all find manna today in unsuspecting places that nourishes our spirit and that in others.