grouplicense
grouplicense
July 18, 2021
Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Accepting God’s Shepherding
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Psalm 23:1

That line from Psalm 23 sounds comforting, but I sometimes wonder if I really believe it. Do I truly trust that I want for nothing if God is guiding my life as carefully as a shepherd tends the flock? On some days, yes, when everything goes smoothly and my day feels like a happy sailboat on the lake of life. But then, there are the times when I do not even consider for a moment that I have a divine shepherd. I’m too busy wanting things—not particularly material items. Most of what I want has to do with getting life to go the way I think it ought to go. When it doesn’t proceed accordingly, I feel disappointed and out of sorts. This tells me I have not yet fully accepted this shepherding of God. Abiding faith is about believing every day, no matter what happens, that God has my back, leading and guiding me even when things don’t turn out to my satisfaction.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp

Jeremiah 23:1-6 • Psalm 23:1-6 Ephesians 2:13-18 • Mark 6:30-34

Comments

July 18, 2021 at 03:09 PM

Amen

July 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM

July 18, 2021 at 11:14 AM

July 18, 2021 at 11:12 AM

July 18, 2021 at 09:05 AM

The Good Shepherd. Jesus, was and is the Good Shepherd in all of our lives. I just read a meditation of today’s readings, which I thought was very interesting and full of knowledge to help paint a clearer picture for us. We begin with the history of the Shepherd, a profession, which was not sought after, but one filled with much responsibility and hard work. A lot of responsibility went with being a shepherd, back in those days before Jesus and after, the people traveled from place to place, not staying one place for that long. That meant that, yes it was the shepherds responsibility to watch over his sheep as they traveled and rested. At night seemed to me to be the most dangerous and required the most care my the shepherd as the prey was out to harm the sheep. Jesus, is the good shepherd, always traveling with us where we go on our life’s journey. He is always protecting us from evil. Even as the shepherd of back then and today, sometimes a sheep will go astray and the good shepherd, even though he is the best shepherd ever, there might be a time when the sheep gives in and is successful in seeking out the temptation and the temptation will lead to evil and even death. Be assured that Jesus is our good shepherd and will give his sheep free will, but will carefully tend and watch over his sheep, as to not loose one. Dear Jesus, our Good Shepherd, we hear your voice, lead us to do good and not evil with the great gifts and graces you bestow to each of us today. Let’s be good shepherds with your flock, who need our help in their own lives, we pray Amen. God’s Mercy Endures Forever. Come chosen one to Jesus’s mercy which is overflowing for us. Remember his passion as we pray for his mercy. Amen

July 18, 2021 at 08:46 AM

So very true, “This tells me I have not yet fully accepted this shepherding of God. Abiding faith is about believing every day, no matter what happens, that God has my back, leading and guiding me even when things don’t turn out to my satisfaction.” Thank you, Sr. Joyce! *** First reading in Jeremiah 23:1-6 * False shepherd - “who mislead and scatter the flock of my pasture… scattered My sheep and driven them away…not cared for them;” * Good Shepherd - “gather the remnant of my flock… bring them back to their meadow; there they shall increase and multiply… no longer fear and tremble; and none shall be missing,” * There s only one Good Shepherd, my Lord and God, Jesus! *** Second reading in Ephesians 2:13-18 * Good Shepherd - “ In Christ Jesus you who once were far off have become near by the blood of Christ… For He is our peace… establishing peace, and might reconcile both with God, in one body, through the cross, putting that enmity to death by it… for through Him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father.” * This peace of the Gospel is through One Way, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! * This peace does not mean good and peaceful living in this world…it points to one thing only - having access in One Spirit to the Father, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! *** Gospel in Mark 6:30-34 * Good Shepherd - “His heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and He began to teach them many things.” * Is my heart moved with pity for the loss? Am I one of the lost? Am I seeking peace and justice in this world? Do I think God’s purpose for me is peace and justice in this world? Am I disappointed in God when there is no peace and justice in this world? What is God’s Good News - the Gospel? ******* It is not the peace and justice in the world that I seek, it is the peace and justice with God that I seek! 2 Corinthians 5:18-21, “ All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” *** The Gospel by Ryan Stevenson https://youtu.be/NTdFEZhjiko

July 18, 2021 at 07:14 AM

Thank you Sr. Joyce for these words. So many times I feel the need to control the situation at hand. Many times it is at work or with one of my kids. My wonderful brother tells me, “Let it Go, with love.” A wonderful friend echoes his comments with, “God has a plan for them and God has a plan for you…they are not the same.” I try to remember this as I surrender and let the Master Shepherd, shepherd.

July 18, 2021 at 09:52 AM

As always I enjoy the comments from Salina and Tim . Sandy and Jane I totally agree when we were raising our 4 children we were in charge we thought. After the years Kathy and I realized that they were going to do what they wanted. We let go of the thoughts that we could influence them. I am still struggling with the letting go of trying to control my life and the world. I know I should be more trusting and the holy spirit is guiding me. Living faith family please pray for Ralph and Margaret and Carolann and Eric. Ken

Sandy
July 18, 2021 at 07:29 AM

Jane- you took the words right out of my mouth! When I raised my kids and had complete control I thought that this was how it would be! Now my plans are so different from theirs that I wonder how I could have been so wrong! Yes-His plans for them are not my plans and I have to work on letting go and trusting that He is solely in control. This would make life so easy if I could adopt this simple truth!

July 18, 2021 at 06:18 AM

Thank you Sr Joyce for showing me that I'm not alone in my feelings. God has truly worked through you.