grouplicense
grouplicense
July 12, 2021
Ceding Control
Yet the more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and spread.
Exodus 1:12

One thing I’ve learned in over twenty years of parenting is that the exercise of unquestioning authority rarely yields desired results. Just as a dammed river will reroute to continue flowing, people who feel forced, controlled or oppressed gain curious strength in alternate arenas.

As people of God, we can certainly rejoice in human resilience. Perhaps we can also look at the areas of our lives where we’ve become single-minded in our attempts to change or control others.

How can we collaborate with others so they flourish rather than locking doors so they have to jump out windows?

What would it mean to surrender control to God?

- Elizabeth Duffy

Exodus 1:8-14, 22 • Psalm 124:1-8 Matthew 10:34—11:1

Comments

July 12, 2021 at 11:19 PM

Salina - I wish you peace and good health. Thank you all for your comments.

July 12, 2021 at 04:14 PM

Damned rivers will always re-route themselves to continue the flow....so true! God really does put him or her self in nature, the science proves this! What we call human resiliency is really God speaking to us, again and again and again. like a river flowing.....

Esther I Lokboj Respond to comment
July 12, 2021 at 02:40 PM

Thank you for this reminder. Have a beautiful day & God's blessings always!

July 12, 2021 at 10:30 AM

Amen! I love this message. Thank you!

July 12, 2021 at 09:37 AM

:-) When I think I have control about anything, I actually don't...never had, never do and never will! Reminds me of the serenity prayer, "Lord God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference!" *** Provebs 16:9, "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps!" *** Proverbs 19:21, "You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail!" *** Matthew 6:34, "So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today!" ******* It is not about me dealing with having control of my life, it is about me understanding God has total control of my life! * John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid!" * Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." * Romans 12:2, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will!" Amen! *** P.S. This lesson is prefect timing for me...as I am dealing with the result (PTSD?) of my passing out at a cyling class 2 weeks ago: panic attacks with heart fluttering and skipping beats (like my heart is coming out of my mouth) fearing that I will pass out again :-( I went to my doctor with complete blood work done, an EKG done, wearing a Zio XT heart monitoring for 3 days and an Aorta Ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday. My husband started me on hemp oil yesterday. I am also seeking counseling resources to see what my mind is working on? *** My prayer according to Psalm 124, "Lord Jesus, You have always been with me! Would anything like panic attack or my irregular heart beat swallow me alive or their fury inflame against me? Would they overwhelm or sweep over me? Blessed be my Lord Jesus, Who did/do/will not leave me a prey to their teeth :-) I was/is/will be rescued like a bird from the fowlers’ snare; Broken was the snare, and I am freed. My help is in the Name of the LORD, Jesus, Who made heaven and earth! Amen! *** Confidence by Santus Real https://youtu.be/DuZPOVFcFJ4

Tim
July 13, 2021 at 09:09 AM

Salina, there might not be any words that will comfort you during your time of need, but know that we are all your prayer warriors, holding you up in your time of need. Do not ever feel you are alone in this we have you and God has us. Really God has us all. As Ken mentioned yesterday, deep breathing helps me when I become anxious and feel I have no control. Secondly letting go and as you mentioned above not my will Lord but your will be done. Know in your mind and your heart, we are standing with you, side by side, and you cannot get rid of us. My prayer this morning is simple. Dear Jesus bestow all of your loving mercy upon your daughter Salina, give her your shoulder to rest her head, allowing her to get the rest she needs and the strength to minister to the lost for your kingdom. Let your mercy flow through her body and out to souls of needs. She is your warrior for your kingdom. We pray, Amen, Amen, Amen and Amen.

July 12, 2021 at 06:55 PM

* without BSF

July 12, 2021 at 06:54 PM

Thank you, Pam! When I first came to, I just wanted to go back to sleep (passing out) and I told the EMTs so. It felt so good to just curl up, to be able to breath and to close my eyes because I was very tired. But as I recovered, I remembered what I felt before I passed out…I couldn’t breathe, my heart beats out of control and the darkness closing in as the light of circle becoming smaller and smaller. My friend told me it’s because I don’t have Bible study in the summer :-) I think she is right! I love learning from Gods Word. It keeps me centered and focus. I remember my husband used to tell me that I was much more cranky towards him during summer time with BSF. Now I don’t get cranky at my husband, but at myself?!?!?! :-):-):-) I pray with the Holy Spirit as my advocate the peace He gave/gives you just as you described! Amen!

Pam
July 12, 2021 at 01:59 PM

Salina, I know it’s worrisome. Not sure what you felt when you passed out, I’m hoping it was similar to my experience(s)…total peace, I wasn’t frightened. What a gift. Praying the same for you. Get all your tests done, get the results, and let the dust settle. Praying you well!

July 12, 2021 at 01:34 PM

Thank you, Rita! I still do take my walks everyday :-) You just reminded me of something. I have switched to listening podcasts on my phone instead of praise music on my little USB radio which I eventually threw away because it broke after 15 years. I think some of these podcasts of current problems got my heart rate going up. I need to go back to my praise music. Thank you for the reminder, Rita :-) You are a God send! BTW, my Fitbit just awarded me the Japan Badge of accomplishing 1,869 miles on July 1, 2021 since the inception of my Fitbit on December 25, 2019.

Rita
July 12, 2021 at 12:30 PM

Salina, my prayers are with you also. I hope you are still taking walks and listening to your music praising Our Lord. Remember that this too will pass. Love and Blessings, Rita.

July 12, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Thank you, Ken! I will pray that, "Holy Spirit guide my mind! Holy Spirit control my thoughts!" Inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth...

July 12, 2021 at 10:26 AM

Salina I am sorry for your problems with your health. Praying will calm you down. I will pray for you right now. When my mind starts to run away I use this prayer 5 to 10 times while deep breathing "Holy Spirit guide my mind holy spirit control my thoughts " it has been working for me. I am praying for you right now. I am not a robot. Ken

July 12, 2021 at 09:18 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirts, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

July 12, 2021 at 08:28 AM

Patrick you are right on Tim and Salina we are so blessed having you guys at this site. Living faith family I want to share this about problems. Problems happen but not all the people see problems the same way. Some people are overcome by problems others overcome problems. Some people are left bitter. Others are left better. Some people face their challenges with fear. Others with faith. You don't have a choice about having problems. But you do have a choice about what you do with them. Choose faith, be like the others. Paraphrasing Max Lucado Please continue to pray for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and their families. Ken

July 12, 2021 at 08:24 AM

July 12, 2021 at 08:10 AM

July 12, 2021 at 07:29 AM

Let go, let God, Amen.

July 12, 2021 at 06:17 AM

A very thought provoking piece for me. In answer your final question Elizabeth I would say it results in the unfolding of Gods perfect plan. During a challenging period some time ago I yielded my will to God, I put my trust and faith in His word. It was in desperation, I was in the last chance saloon, but it wasn't without hope. I made a covenant with God, I used that very word at the time. Looking back I know on occasions I broke my word and wrestled back "control", because God gives us choice. God always kept his part of the agreement and when I ceded control back to him again, life moved forward again according to His plan. There was no admonishment, the prodigal son was welcomed back. I cannot explain the past journey nor forecast the route it will take in future. Where once I ventured in blind faith and hope, I now go forward in confidence and certainty. I don't need all the details before I make a move, I now have absolute faith and trust in our divine guide. "Thy will be done"

Tim
July 12, 2021 at 08:18 AM

Patrick, great response to a very sometimes uncomfortable situation that we all find ourselves in during our lives. Thank you for sharing this with us and giving us a reminder of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. Saying we have faith is one thing, but releasing it all to God and total faith is totally another. Ditto on your reflection and my God continue to bless you always. Amen

July 12, 2021 at 06:58 AM

Amen, Patrick! I can totally relate :-) That's the point, "Thy will be done!" The sooner we understand that, the sooner the rainy days will turn into rainbows, God's promises fulfilled!