grouplicense
grouplicense
July 10, 2021
Crooked Lines
Even though you meant harm to me, God meant it for good…
Genesis 50:20

After Jacob dies, his sons fear that Joseph will seek revenge against them for selling him into slavery. But Joseph tells them not to fear. He assures them that he will provide for them and their families. We might wonder, how could Joseph forgive his brothers so completely? The answer lies in his words quoted above. He does not deny the wrong they did, but he sees the bigger picture now. God used their wicked deed to bring about a greater good: the saving of God’s people from famine.

The old Portuguese proverb expresses this belief well: “God writes straight with crooked lines.” Even the imperfections, failings and evil of human beings can aid to bring about God’s beautiful designs. Let us recall this when life does not go the way we want or plan. From ugliness, God can bring forth beauty; from failure, success; from death, life; from evil, good.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Genesis 49:29-32; 50:15-26a • Psalm 105:1-4, 6-7 Matthew 10:24-33

Comments

July 10, 2021 at 01:19 PM

Thanks. Days when I feel like a crooked line, I need this.

July 10, 2021 at 11:36 AM

Sr. Melanie your reflections always inspires me. Thank you

July 10, 2021 at 10:33 AM

July 10, 2021 at 09:55 AM

July 10, 2021 at 09:34 AM

God's plans always turn out for good. Joseph is sold into slavery to protect Egypt and his family from terrible famine. Joseph and his brothers pass away and their descendents grow to several hundred thousand who are then thrown into slavery only to be delivered by God through Moses. These are important lessons that speak to me in light of the things in our country that have happened over the last 16 months and continue today. With the evils we saw last summer and the events going on now to promote abortion and other evils, after moving through depression and anger God has brought me back to a place of hope and excitement to see how He will use the evil for good just like He has done over and over again throughout time. Praise God!

July 10, 2021 at 01:11 PM

Indeed, Mark! He did, He does and He will use evil for good! So God is glorified and His Name is made known :-) Let us worship Him in order to fight evil while we wait for His good!

July 10, 2021 at 09:02 AM

*** This reminds me of what God's 'crooked lines look like in Isaiah 61:1-3, "(1) to proclaim good news to the poor (2) to bind up the brokenhearted (3) to proclaim freedom for the captives (4)to release from darkness for the prisoners (5) to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God (6) to comfort all who mourn (7) to provide for those who grieve (7) to bestow a crown of beauty instead of ashes, (8) to bestow the oil of joy instead of mourning (9) to bestow a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair! (Why? Because it is) (10) for the display of His splendor!" *** Have you seen the Dow Jones Industrial Average since the beginning on May 26, 1896? It has its ups and downs (sometimes big), but it is a straight line going up and up (still)! If you are a long term (knowing the market) investor, these ups and downs do not scare you because your prize is at the end of your investment (race :-) *** If you know and acknowledge the Who before all others, you have found the perfect love and there is no fear! Whose Name do you know and acknowledge? Matthew 10:31-33, "So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Everyone who acknowledges Me (Jesus) before (any) others I will acknowledge before My heavenly Father. But whoever denies Me before others, I will deny before My heavenly Father!” ******* Here is my takeaway: * When I fear, I take the place of God in Genesis 50:19, "But Joseph replied to them: "Have no fear. Can I take the place of God?" * When I don't acknowledge Jesus before others, I am denying Him in Matthew 10:33, "But whoever denies Me (Jesus) before others, I will deny before My heavenly Father!" * There Was Jesus by Zach Williams n Dolly Parton https://youtu.be/37wV6D49iEY "In the waiting, in the searching In the healing and the hurting Like a blessing buried in the broken pieces Every minute, every moment Where I've been and where I'm going Even when I didn't know it or couldn't see it There was Jesus!" Amen!

July 10, 2021 at 08:51 AM

Jesus says, I will provide for you and your children, do not be afraid our Father acknowledges us as sons and daughters. Let us follow the ways of our teacher and master, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Joesph, showed love for his brothers, even after they treated him so poorly, that they thought he was dead. This compassion, love and mercy, shows each of us that there is much hope. Even though we sin against our God, his love and mercy overflows. Jesus wants each of us to come to home today and ask for his mercy, before it is too late. Jesus wants us to reflect in his passion and reach out for his over flowing mercy he has for us. Do not be afraid, come to him, he is calling us. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers we life up to you from our Living Faith Family. Hear the prayers of all of those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, may they see the face of Christ today, we pray, Amen.

July 10, 2021 at 07:40 AM

July 10, 2021 at 05:38 AM

Gods ways are not our ways, but Gods ways are perfect, always. 2 Corinthians 4:6 "For God, who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ."