grouplicense
grouplicense
July 8, 2021
Grace in Hard Times
But now…do not reproach yourselves for having sold me here. It was really for the sake of saving lives that God sent me here ahead of you.
Genesis 45:5

How many of us, like Joseph, can look back on difficult times and see them as part of a bigger picture? Job loss can open new opportunities. A breakup can lead to new love. That doesn’t mean we would choose them. If I could go back and stop the COVID-19 pandemic, I would absolutely prevent the loneliness, loss and conflict of that time. However, I also see the grace embedded in it. When my family could no longer gather, we kept in closer contact than ever. When my children couldn’t see friends, they grew closer to each other. We experienced fresh longing for the Eucharist, felt greater gratitude for our blessings and found new ways to care for one another. God was with us through it all, shining light in the darkness.

Lord, when darkness falls, help me to look for your light!

- Karla Manternach

Genesis 44:18-21, 23-29; 45:1-5 • Psalm 105:16-21 Matthew 10:7-15

Comments

July 8, 2021 at 12:49 PM

How did Joseph come to a place where not only he wasn't mad at his brothers for doing what they did 13 years earlier, but he told them not to be distressed or angry with themselves? *** Genesis 45:4-5a, "Then Joseph said to his brothers, “Come close to me.” When they had done so, he said, “I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt! And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here!" *** Why? Joseph understood God's plan in 13 years experiencing God's presence and favors in the midst of difficulties that he said in Genesis 45:5b-7, "Because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will be no plowing and reaping. But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance!" *** Why? Joseph understood God's plan has to do with God's purpose and not about the wrongs his brothers did or his own sufferings in Genesis 45:8, "So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God. He made me father to Pharaoh, lord of his entire household and ruler of all Egypt!" ******* Yes, hear, hear! "The Kingdom of heaven is at hand!" "Repent!" "And believe!" (Matthew 3:2, Matthew 4:17, Mark 1:15) *** "Repent means “to change one’s mind” about something (Thayer’s Greek Lexicon, metanoeo). Of course, when a person has a change of mind about something, the result is a change of behavior as well.......Saying, “Sorry,” being sorry, or even feeling sorry are not the same as repenting. A person can feel emotionally sorry for something without addressing the underlying issue. “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death” (2 Corinthians 7:10). Judas felt great remorse over what he had done to Jesus, but he did not repent. Instead, he committed suicide (Matthew 27:3–5). Peter also felt great remorse over his denial of Christ (Matthew 26:75), but in his case it did result in genuine repentance and a change of direction, as later he boldly proclaimed Christ in the face of persecution (see Acts 4)." https://www.gotquestions.org/how-to-repent.html *** Believe in John 6:29, "Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the One (Jesus) He has sent.” And John 6:47, Jesus said, "Very truly I tell you, the one who believes (in Jesus) has eternal life!" *** Lord Jesus, I believe and help my unbelief! Amen!

July 8, 2021 at 11:36 AM

Our God is a Waymaker. Making a way out of noway!

July 8, 2021 at 10:54 AM

July 8, 2021 at 09:17 AM

God provides all that we need. He wants us to come to him with all of our needs, wants and desires. As you can see from today’s first reading and the Gospel, he provides. All he wants from us in return is to come to him with a loving heart and the desire to go and proclaim the Gospel message to others we meet in our everyday lives. As you know this can be done in many different ways, time, alms giving, and teaching his word. We can do whatever makes us feel the most comfortable. We are chosen for a reason. Pray on his passion and come to him for his unlimited love and mercy. He wants us to come to him before it is too late. Leave the anchor of the world behind and seek his mercy. God Provides all we need. Dear Jesus, please see what is in our hearts this day that might be in the way of receiving your graces, and remove it. Please hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, we pray. Amen.

July 8, 2021 at 08:21 AM

July 8, 2021 at 07:58 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

July 8, 2021 at 07:40 AM

Amen…

Richard Robinson Respond to comment
July 8, 2021 at 06:03 AM

I’ve found out through my life’s experience; “When doors seem to close during my life, God opens a window for me.”

EM
July 8, 2021 at 11:41 AM

Amen. “Like” your comment as well. Prayers for all.

Sandy
July 8, 2021 at 10:44 AM

I like your comment as well, Richard. I would like to add that our faith does not allow us to miss that "window" of opportunity. Have a blessed day!

Tim
July 8, 2021 at 09:20 AM

So true! All of the time, Amen.

Patrick
July 8, 2021 at 08:25 AM

Ditto for me, God turns everything for our good.

Katj
July 8, 2021 at 06:30 AM

I like that Richard! Not doors will be opened, but windows! Nice thought for me today!