grouplicense
grouplicense
July 5, 2021
St. Anthony Zaccaria; St. Elizabeth of Portugal
To See, to Be, Like Jesus
…an official came forward, knelt down before him, and said, “My daughter has just died.”… A woman suffering from hemorrhages for twelve years came up behind him and touched the tassel on his cloak.
Matthew 9:18, 20

I have heard this story countless times. Yet this time I picked up on a nuance I’d missed before.

It came to me that Jesus had paid no mind to the fact the first request was by a man of prominent position who knelt before him, and that the second request was from a woman who dared not approach him face-to-face but joined the crowd seeking to be healed. Her only hope for healing was to touch the tassel on his cloak.

While I may have been impressed by the formality of the official and been put off by the woman who touched him when he wasn’t looking, Jesus wasn’t. He heard them both and responded, not because of who they were or weren’t. No, he responded because of their faith and their apparent need.

- Judy Schueneman

Genesis 28:10-22a • Psalm 91:1-4, 14-15 Matthew 9:18-26

Comments

July 5, 2021 at 04:08 PM

Whatever you did for one of the least of my brethren, you did it for me. Saint Elizabeth of Portugal, devoted her life to the poor. In today's first reading we hear a story of Jacob, who was Abraham's grandson and Issac's son. God lets Jacob know that he is with him always and will give him and his descendants the land which he rest his head on today. Jacob then takes the stone that he rests his head on and make a memorial for God. Then Jacob makes a vow with God. If God remains with me, to protect me on this journey that I am making and to give me enough bread to eat and clothing to wear and to arrive back safe and sound to his father's house, then the Lord shall be my God. This bothers me a little bit, because it is like let's make a deal, I will do this if you will do that. Sorry, true faith in God, does not work that way to me. We need to be all in, committed to God. I Tim, a chosen disciple of Christ will follow God's ways always and will continue to encourage our children and our entire family to do the same, we pray, Amen. The Gospel is all about true faith. Jesus says, daughter your faith has saved you. Believe in God with your whole hears, mind and soul. Follow him, go to hime, keep all of his commandments. Put him first in your day, every day and your life will be transformed. Amen

July 5, 2021 at 01:24 PM

Jesus is always listening for all call--call Him up and tell Him what you want!

July 5, 2021 at 11:11 AM

July 5, 2021 at 10:58 AM

July 5, 2021 at 10:50 AM

Yes. God loves us because of who we are, His Children, dignified and true. Let's listen, respect and learn.

July 5, 2021 at 09:36 AM

Yes, Judy, "He heard them both and responded!" Not because of who they were, but What Jesus was going to do! Not because of what they have done (the father knelt before Jesus or the woman touched Jesus' tassel, but Who Jesus is! *** My prayer in Psalm 91:1-4, 14-15, "I dwell in the shelter of the Most High, I abide in the shadow of the Almighty, I say to the LORD, You are my refuge and my fortress, my God, in Whom I trust.” For You will rescue me from the snare of the fowler, from the destroying pestilence. With Your pinions You will cover me, and under Your wings I shall take refuge. Because I clings to You, You will deliver me; You will set me on high because I acknowledge Your Name, Jesus! I shall call upon the Name of Jesus, and You will answer me; You will be with me in distress!" Amen! *** Trust In You by Lauren Daigle https://youtu.be/qv-SXz_exKE *** First by Lauren Daigle https://youtu.be/RbWQV3OiRqA

Patrick
July 5, 2021 at 10:17 AM

Yes indeed Judy you made a good observation, Jesus sees into the heart and soul. He pays little attention to appearance status or wealth. He responds to need and Heaven knows we all need encouragement and help. His supply is plentiful but how we use it is a faith choice only we can make.

July 5, 2021 at 08:20 AM