grouplicense
grouplicense
July 2, 2021
The Company We Keep
While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat with Jesus and his disciples.

Matthew 9:10

If we pray with imagination, we can place ourselves in this Gospel passage where quite a scene is unfolding. After Jesus sees Matthew at his post collecting taxes and invites Matthew to follow him, fellow tax collectors soon follow suit and pour into the house where Jesus is sitting with his disciples. Sitting at table with “sinners” makes Jesus ritually impure and guilty by association in the judgment of some observers.

So where are we if we place ourselves in this scene? Are we the tax collectors, who know their brokenness and seek to heal it by drawing close to Jesus? Are we the Pharisees, whose rigidity predetermines who belongs and who does not? Are we Jesus, looking into the hopeful, yearning faces of those who have been judged unworthy and opening up the table in welcome and spaciousness of heart?

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM

Genesis 23:1-4, 19; 24:1-8, 62-67 • Psalm 106:1-5 Matthew 9:9-13

Comments

Dianne Stocking Respond to comment
July 3, 2021 at 02:48 PM

We are always given choices...3 roles to choose from. Our God is such a gentleman!

July 2, 2021 at 12:19 PM

"The Company We Keep?" To me it is not about being judgemental or who the company is but who I am (in Christ or not)... whether I am the influencer or the influenced! *** 1 Corinthians 15:33 (32c), "Don’t be fooled by those who say such things (Let’s feast and drink, for tomorrow we die!), for “bad company corrupts good character.” *** Proverbs 13:20, "Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble." *** 2 Corinthians 6:14, "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" ******* I have to be careful or I will be in the world and of the world with bad company of unbelievers! How can I be in the world and not of the world? Answwer: Jesus and His mercy! Matthew 9:12-13, “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.” (-: Not my sacrifices and I am not the Physician! The sacrifices of Jesus and He is the Physician! I am a patient in Jesus' infirmary...How about you?

July 2, 2021 at 09:52 AM

Lord, let us see in others what you see in them. Thank You for loving all of us!

July 2, 2021 at 09:43 AM

Lord, I seek your patience with me as I strive to grow closer and closer to You! Thank you Sr. Chris for this inspiration. A blessed day and continued prayers for all Living Faith.

July 2, 2021 at 09:34 AM