grouplicense
grouplicense
July 1, 2021
St. Junípero Serra
Picking Up Our Stretchers
He then said to the paralytic, “Rise, pick up your stretcher, and go home.”
Matthew 9:6

As I read this well-known story of Jesus healing the paralyzed man, I wondered for the first time: Why does Jesus tell him to take his stretcher home with him? What use does this man now have for a stretcher? Perhaps, I thought, Jesus knew the man would need a memento of his healing—something he could set next to his front door and see every day as a reminder of what Jesus had done for him.

For when Jesus touches our lives—healing us emotionally, spiritually or even physically—we have a responsibility that goes beyond just continuing to live our lives. We must be willing to share our renewed selves with others, and we must live in fuller awareness and gratitude for what we have been given. We need to place our stretchers by the door where we can see them.

What reminders do you have of God’s action in your life?

- Steve Givens

Genesis 22:1b-19 • Psalm 115:1-6, 8-9 Matthew 9:1-8

Comments

Dianne Stocking Respond to comment
July 3, 2021 at 02:44 PM

Thank you for starting this summer quarter with a reminder to start each day with an attitude of gratitude. May God bless you abundantly.

July 1, 2021 at 06:50 PM

Thanks to you all for your insights and prayers. Let's pray for all those in our lives who need their eyes opened to the signs that are all around us. Better yet, let's BE those signs by the way we live our faith in love and compassion for all. God bless you all.

July 1, 2021 at 03:27 PM

What reminder do I have? My Beautiful children and grandchildren!

Steve Givens
July 1, 2021 at 06:45 PM

Pretty powerful reminders, aren't they??

July 1, 2021 at 01:09 PM

Thank you Lord for all your great Blessings. My Dad turned 92 yesterday 6-30...I picked Him up & we had lunch. I am very, very Blessed ti have my Dad. Mama passed on 2-28-20 @ 94 yrs. She lived a long & fruitful life. My Dad us my Hero. I miss my eldest Son Stephen R.I.P. he's been gone now for 12 yrs. passed @ the young age of 28...in 2009. Cancer is devastating. Ty Lord for keeping me here after my diagnosis in 2014. My heart is broken, but I need to continue on for my 3 Sons & 3 grandchildren. Thank you in advance Dear Lord & Savior, Amen.

July 1, 2021 at 10:17 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

July 1, 2021 at 10:02 AM

Steve, literally each day as I first open my eyes, I say “Thank You Lord!”. I pray that I never forget His love and inexhaustible mercy in my life. And, each day I get to wake up is yet another gift from Him! Always enjoy your reflections, thank you.

Steve Givens
July 1, 2021 at 06:47 PM

Every ordinary day can be extraordinary when we recall the hand of God in everything...

July 1, 2021 at 08:54 AM

EM
July 1, 2021 at 12:00 PM

Amen. I agree that Steve’s reflections are very insightful and thought provoking. I have a few reminders of God’s actions in my life and will place them prominently as a daily reminder to daily be grateful and aware. Prayers for all.

July 1, 2021 at 08:19 AM

July 1, 2021 at 07:50 AM

Full commitment to God. Abraham demonstrated his full commitment of faith to his Lord God and was rewarded, more than the eye can see. Abraham and his family followed the commandments of God, so that other generations after him, would follow these same commandments. What are we doing in our own lives to preserve God’s commandments for the future generations to come. Rise and walk, come to Jesus with all of your faith, show him that no matter of public opinion, you will walk his his ways and follow his commandments. Lord as for today, me and my family will follow you. As I was reading St. Faustina’s Diary yesterday in private, she was receiving, spiritually the prayer requests from the souls of others who were about to die and they were asking her to pray for them. She never missed one of these requests. Then she asked Jesus with all of his divine mercy to forgive all of the sins of those who would die that day, that they would immediately go to heaven, even if they were sinners. Jesus replied, my daughter your ask is a big ask, she said I know. Jesus said because you have come to me with such great faith and your love for me is with me always, I will grant your request, to show you and them how much love and mercy I have for them. I want all souls to come to me before it is too late and the time of judgement is at hand. Come to me and ask me for my infinite mercy I have for you Jesus is saying to each of us. Come to me with your faith and I shall give you my love and mercy. Dear Jesus let me be like St. Faustina and come to you with pure love, faith and my full commitment to you and your commandments. That I may come rest in your presence and serve you, I pray. Dear Jesus hear our prayers today for our Living Faith Family, for all those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory. Come fully committed with faith to our Lord. Amen.

July 1, 2021 at 08:40 AM

Tim thanks for reminding me about the diary. I have downloaded it and will start to read it daily. Salina I love your Thanksgiving jar. My oldest daughter has children write or tell the family what they are thankful for at Thanksgiving. Living faith family please keep praying for Ralph and Margaret and Carolann and Eric. Ken

July 1, 2021 at 07:37 AM

*** It reminds me of the "Thanksgiving Jar" I was given as a Christmas gift two years ago. I was writing down most of my memorable God encounters and put them in the jar, so I can read them out loud on Thanksgiving day! Then life continues and I have forgotten about it for the last year. *** In the Old Testament, most of the God encounters was commemorated by building an altar. There are over 400 references to altars in the Bible. "An altar usually represents a person’s desire to consecrate himself/herself fully to the Lord. God has worked in a person’s life in such a way that the person desires to create something tangible to memorialize it...When we surrender areas of our lives to the control of the Holy Spirit, we are in effect laying that area on the altar before God...We can ask the Lord what areas of our lives He is requiring that we offer to Him. We can symbolically lay that on the altar and let go. We don’t need a flat-topped surface; we can surrender our lives to God on the altar of our hearts at any time." https://www.gotquestions.org/what-is-an-altar.html *** The 1st reading foreshadowed the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus on the cross: God the Father willingly gave His only Son as a burnt offering for our sins; God the Son carried the cross on His shoulder on the road to Calvary; The Lamb of God was prepared as the ultimate sacrifice for the sins of the world! ******* My God is in heaven; whatever You will, You do :-) Not to me, O LORD, not to me but to Your Name give glory because of Your kindness, because of Your truth! Why should the pagans say, “Where is your God, Salina?” My idols are of this world made of silver and gold and (flesh), the handiwork of men (my own making). They have mouths but speak not; they have eyes but see not; They have ears but hear not; they have noses but smell not. They have hands but do not feel, feet but do not walk; they produce no sound from their throats. I will not trust in these idols I created or be like them :-( I trust in the LORD; He is my help and my shield. I will walk in the presence of the Lord, in the land of the living!!! Amen! (Psalm 115:1-9)

July 1, 2021 at 06:55 AM