grouplicense
grouplicense
June 30, 2021
The First Martyrs of the Holy Roman Church
I Say I Believe, But…
Thereupon the whole town came out to meet Jesus,
and when they saw him they begged him to leave their
district.
Matthew 8:34

This is one of the most telling, revealing moments in the gospel—not about Jesus, but about us.

For how many times has Jesus visited me where I live? In the sacraments, in moments of prayer, in the  love and presence of other people—he’s come to me. He’s healed, taught and revealed the way to real happiness and peace. I know this! I know all about it! And I say I believe it.

But when it comes down to it—when it becomes  clear that with Jesus here with me, things are indeed  going to change and be different from the way they were yesterday—what do my actions say to him? Do  they say, “Stay with me,” or do they proclaim, even in subtle ways and with my small choices, “Go away”?

Lord Jesus, stay with me.

- Amy Welborn

Genesis 21:5, 8-20a • Psalm 34:7-8, 10-13 Matthew 8:28-34

Comments

June 30, 2021 at 06:48 PM

I'd like to think that the people of Jesus' day shunned Him because they were afraid to tread in uncharted waters. But we, most of us, having been born and raised learning and living with the knowledge of Jesus that we already have. We should be less likely to say "no" to Him because we believe deep down in our hearts that He is Love of Love and that is what we spend our lives seeking. I can't imagine why anyone would shun away love that is more or less served to us n a silver platter.

June 30, 2021 at 05:00 PM

Amy, you hit the nail right on the head. Even when confronted with God’s goodness, I shun Him because I can’t or won’t look beyond my own prejudices & insecurities to recognize goodness & healing when it’s staring me in the face.

June 30, 2021 at 12:58 PM

Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me , a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Carmen Fernandez Respond to comment
June 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM

Very good question...

Elizabeth P. Murphy Respond to comment
June 30, 2021 at 12:03 PM

Thank you Amy, if change is the one thing guaranteed, it must be Good, we just need not worry, But Trust, have Faith and Believe. Tim, I say the Divine Mercy chaplet at 3pm every day. You are correct, the whole world now is in Great Need of God's Mercy, Love, and Good Judgment. We need Always put God First.

June 30, 2021 at 10:11 AM

Claire McGarry Respond to comment
June 30, 2021 at 09:33 AM

Amy Welborn's reflections are always wonderful, but today's was especially powerful! So grateful for her insight and perspective. It always changes mine and brings me closer to God. Thank you!

Amy
June 30, 2021 at 09:37 AM

Thank you. I really appreciate your kind words!

June 30, 2021 at 08:47 AM

Powerful food for thought.

Amy Welborn
June 30, 2021 at 09:36 AM

Thanks so much for your kind words! I've always enjoyed writing for Living Faith!

June 30, 2021 at 08:02 AM

June 30, 2021 at 08:00 AM

Jesus wants us to remember his passion and recite his Divine Mercy Chaplet today.Jesus wants us to come to him knowing that his mercy is ever flowing for each of us. During these times we live in, we see destruction of the Christian values all around of us. But there is hope, in the midst of this evil are great souls like you who are doing his work for the love of others. Sharing his light among many for his kingdom. Blessed are you who give us the light shining in the dark. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers today for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory that they may see the face of Christ today in the Heavenly Kingdom of God, we pray, Amen.

June 30, 2021 at 07:53 AM

Amen! Please God, never let me loose sight of you

June 30, 2021 at 07:52 AM

Why did the town people all came out and ask Jesus to leave their town? *** Matthew 8:33, “ The swineherds ran away, and when they came to the town they reported everything, including what had happened to the demoniacs.” Basically, Jesus killed the livelihood of the whole town. Two thousand pigs drowned that day! (See Mark 5:1-20) And the people of the whole town were overcome with fear! (See Luke 8:26-39) *** How would you respond if you have to choose between your livelihood and Jesus? How about choosing between an unbelieving boy/girl friend and Jesus? How about choosing not speaking up for the truth and Jesus? How about choosing between being ridiculed following Jesus and not? You know where I am going with this, right? How about choosing between being sick with Jesus and being healthy without Jesus? I can go on…Is Jesus worth everything I want? Sometimes it is when everything is taken away that one realizes Jesus is enough!!! *** That is how I decided Jesus is my everything when my family was taken away from me and my bank account was empty and I was all alone in an empty house…Jesus was enough, Jesus is enough and Jesus will be enough when there was, is and will be nothing left for me :-) I came into this world empty handed and I will be going out the same way, except when I decided Jesus is my everything I will be going out with His presence into eternity!!! And no one can take His presence away from me :-) ******* It was very difficult for Abraham to send his son Ishmael and Hagar away, but He did it anyway because God and His Word was enough for Abraham! What am I holding on to that Gods asks me to let go? My security? My loved ones? My wants and desires? Is God, His presence and His Word (promises) enough for me? Psalm 34:8-10, “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him. Fear the Lord, you His holy people, for those who fear Him lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.” Amen!

Pam
June 30, 2021 at 12:58 PM

Salina, yes, so very glad that yesterday’s over exertion wasn’t any worse than what it was, and that was scary enough! Can’t keep a good woman down! God Bless.

Rita
June 30, 2021 at 12:28 PM

Salina, I'm so glad you're doing better. Blessings, Rita.

Holly
June 30, 2021 at 10:18 AM

Love and prayers to you, Salina

Sandy
June 30, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Salina, just read yesterdays comments and wanted to say that I'm glad you're OK!

June 30, 2021 at 07:50 AM

Amen…

Holly
June 30, 2021 at 10:16 AM

Love and prayers to you!

June 30, 2021 at 07:11 AM

June 30, 2021 at 06:38 AM

Please be with me at ALL times...