grouplicense
grouplicense
June 26, 2021
Seeing Triple
Looking up, [Abraham] saw three men standing nearby.
Genesis 18:2

This ancient story is like a riddle whose “answer” comes centuries later with the arrival of Jesus. Three men arrive, and Abraham prepares a feast; but the pronouns slip back and forth between plural and singular. Are they three? Are they one? Are they men or angels? Abraham was maybe 100 years old at this point, so any confusion on his part is understandable. But ultimately, “The Lord” announces the promise: Sarah will have a son! So, as Jesus would say, “Abraham rejoiced to see my day!” (John 8:56). Mysteries abound in our own lives too, if we can just be open to their unfolding. The arrival of a guest is an opportunity to serve; a guest, even a stranger, may carry a promise of a fuller life. And the poor often make the best angels!

- Miguel Dulick

Genesis 18:1-15 • Luke 1:46-50, 53-55 • Matthew 8:5-17

Comments

June 26, 2021 at 11:45 AM

Thank you, Miguel, for your insights! The more we are open to the blessings of every encounter (even the most puzzling ones), the more evident it becomes that we are all connected in the family of God.

June 26, 2021 at 11:23 AM

Jesus didn't come to be served, but He came to serve and He done it well!

June 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM

Two words come to me today when I reflect on the readings, given to us. “Great Faith” in both wonderful, rich filled stories, we see great faith displayed. My wish for everyone today is to have this great faith in our own lives and our children lives. There is a very disturbing part though mentioned in today’s readings as a warning to all of us. It mentions our children who do not come to believe that they have there own minds already made up, because they think they know better. This is very upsetting to me as I veer out at my own 3 children and there busy lives, not slowing down to hear his word, although there have been many discussions on why this is so important in their lives. I pray for all children that they hear God’s word before it is too late, before the gnashing of teeth. Wake up, share God faith, mercy with all of those we can today, tomorrow and the next. What a world it would be if we had 10% the faith of Abraham and the Centurion. Today, reflect on Christ own passion and infinite mercy he offers each of us today. Blessed are we who believe and have faith. Amen.

June 26, 2021 at 10:22 AM

June 26, 2021 at 09:31 AM

June 26, 2021 at 08:17 AM

Abraham saw three men standing nearby and he addressed the One, I don’t think he was confused. And Genesis 18:1 clearly said “The Lord.” Abraham has met God many times before. So the One Abraham addressed was God Himself and the other two were angels as stated in Genesis 19:1, “The two angels reached Sodom in the evening,” *** All the readings today point to fulfillment of God’s promises: Abraham a son (Isaac) - he waited for 25 years; Israel a Savior (Jesus) - they waited for 700 years! *** Christ took away our infirmities and bore our diseases!!! (Isaiah 53:4) *** Hebrews 13:2 reminds us, “Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.” We may not always realize whom we are speaking with, so we should treat everyone as though they were angels from God. ******* Let it be so, Lord Jesus, as I don’t feel like my two girls I have been spending time for the last week act like angels! That’s the point, isn’t it? I get it, it is all about You, Your promises and the fulfillment of Your promises! So Your will be done right here right now as it is in heaven and my two girls are Your angels to train me to be an angel !?!?!? Okay…let it be done to Your servant as You have planned! Amen!

June 26, 2021 at 07:51 AM

Amen..

June 26, 2021 at 06:31 AM

Amen. Thank you for this reminder to look for and open up to the mysteries in my life. I pray to have many graces. Prayers for all. Miguel, may God continue to bless you in your personal mission to serve the poor and keep families together.

Patrick