May 26, 2021
Mitzvah
Let the prisoners’ sighing come before you;
with your great power free those doomed to death.
Psalm 79:1

In a message board about life in New York City, someone posed a question: “Why are Jewish people coming  up to me and asking me if I’m Jewish? It’s happened  several times this week.” The answer quickly came—it  was the Jewish High Holy Days, and it’s considered a  mitzvah—a good deed—to go find nonpracticing Jews  and invite them to service to reconnect and experience  the mercy of God.

Here, the psalmist prays for those suffering: the  imprisoned, those facing death. We pray for others,  we reach out more directly in a mitzvah of one sort or  another, and in all those cases, we’re doing the same  thing: recognizing that we are all God’s children and  that the greatest glory we can give to God is to help  others on the journey to him.

God of love and mercy, may I have the wisdom and courage to invite, support and encourage others.

- Amy Welborn

Sirach 36:1, 4-5a, 10-17 • Psalm 79:8-9, 11, 13 Mark 10:32-45

Comments

May 26, 2021 at 09:31 PM

Great Message, but Psalm 79:1 doesn't match what you have written.

May 26, 2021 at 03:41 PM

Mitzvah. I live near Boro Park Brooklyn , a Hasidic Jewish community for the last 100 years, and how full, how teeming with life and children and families it is! Reaching out to those in need of love, encouragement and support in our families, neighbors, and churches, this is what we are so hungry and thirst for today, may we receive God's help.

May 26, 2021 at 10:30 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

Monalisa
May 26, 2021 at 12:05 PM

AMEN ????

annie
May 26, 2021 at 11:39 AM

AMEN!

May 26, 2021 at 09:22 AM

Love what EM says, "Lord, help me “mitzvah” today and everyday!" *** Do I serve or do I volunteer? They are different! When I serve, I pour out from the overflow of the goodness of what God has given me with His strength. When I volunteer, I pour out from the limited goodness of my heart with my own strength. *** James and John felt they have given out of their limited goodness of their hearts to follow Jesus, so they asked for something in return. Sounds fair? Right? Do I "mitzvah" to check off the good-deed-duty list, praises and recognition from others? Do I get upset when others do not appreciate what I do for them? *** Colossians 3:17, 23-24, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him...Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." *** Ephesians 6:7-8, "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free." *** Romans 14:8, "If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord." *** Matthew 5:16, "let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." *** Galatians 1:10, "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." *******To God be the glory! Lord Jesus, as You pour out to me, the overflow pours out to others :-) Don't let me forget to recharge with You daily, so I can be 100 percent charged and ready to be used by You daily!!! Amen! The Gospel by Ryan Stevenson https://youtu.be/NTdFEZhjiko

May 26, 2021 at 09:09 AM

Amen

May 26, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Thank you Amy. I always look forward to your reflections and how you relate your personal experiences to the scriptures. Yes, let us be invitational to others as missionary disciples.

May 26, 2021 at 08:24 AM

Amy Welborn
May 26, 2021 at 10:22 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words! I enjoy the opportunity!

May 26, 2021 at 08:21 AM

We have been created and chosen to serve not to be served. Today’s Gospel points out how easy it is for all of us to feel that we should have special favors in life, because of this or that. Jesus points out to us that special places and honor are for his Father to decide, but for us we should be content to serve others vs. being served. Bring others to to Christ and introduce them to his Gospels is a great place to start. “Put God First”, the secret sauce, to a better relationship with Christ. We must first accept Jesus into our lives, heart, souls and minds, before we can share this sincere passion with others. No one will take us serious unless we have this secret sauce, this passion. Spend some time with him alone, maybe in adoration, some one on one time, does wonders for a relationship and will begin to transform our lives. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for the souls in Purgatory that they may see the face of Christ today in Heaven, we pray. Amen.

May 26, 2021 at 07:14 AM

Amen...

May 26, 2021 at 06:56 AM

Amen. What an interesting bit of information. YES, the greatest glory we can give to God is to help lead others to him. Lord, help me “mitzvah” today and ever day and bless this community to continue to do so as well. Prayers for all.

Living Faith Team
May 26, 2021 at 11:05 AM

Just a little thanks for all of those who have volunteered to become Living Faith Ambassadors -- people who are sharing our booklet as a way of sharing the faith with others. Information on becoming an Ambassador is at the bottom of the page, or found at this link: https://www.livingfaith.com/ambassador We love our readers!