Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
May 4, 2021
Strength Training
They strengthened the spirits of the disciples and
exhorted them to persevere in the faith, saying, “It is
necessary for us to undergo many hardships to enter the
Kingdom of God.”
Acts 14:22

The day my mother died at home, after her five-year  battle with breast cancer, we had to wait hours for the  medical examiner to come to our house. He had been  long delayed at another house in the city—a house  where a young mother and two of her children had  died in a fire. Some hardships linger for years on end.  Others come suddenly.

More than a million families worldwide lost loved  ones due to the coronavirus. We’ve faced numerous  related hardships associated with it. Add in everyday  challenges, and we can be easily overwhelmed.

Yet we are repeatedly assured that God loves us  and that we are to enjoy his incalculable blessings.  Family, friends and even people we don’t know will  help us. We have, as the disciples did, the Church—to  “strengthen our spirits” and help us to “persevere in  the faith.”

- Terence Hegarty

Acts 14:19-28 • Psalm 145:10-13, 21 John 14:27-31a

Comments

May 4, 2021 at 10:31 AM

May 4, 2021 at 08:24 AM

Amen...

May 4, 2021 at 08:21 AM

“Peace Be With You”. Jesus is letting us know today that he must go back to the Father to prepare a place for all of us. Jesus teaches us now, so that we may continue to follow his Father’s commandments and believe. Look at St. Paul the terrible suffering he endured for the faith, for the church, so that others may know the saving grace Jesus offers each of us today. Come and see, the goodness of the world. Yes, the world we live in today, is pretty messed up and Covid was terrible with its loss of life and burdens shared, but we must gain strength in Jesus and continue to move forward towards the Kingdom of God, that he has left to prepare for each of us. Our days are filled with many challenges and trials, but with deep faith, we can rest assure that the God we serve is a merciful, loving God who is always by our sides, even in times of pain and suffering. I pray that today you may grow closer to him in, by putting him first in your lives. Begin a never ending prayer and personal relationship with Jesus. Tell him what you are struggling with, tell him that you are his disciple and that you do believe. My prayer for you today is that you feel his strong presence, his love, mercy and graces in your life, one step of faith after another. Do not be discourage, his “peace Be With You”. Dear Jesus, please hear the many prayer requests of your Living Faith Family here, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they may see the face of Christ, today in the Heavenly Kingdom of God, we pray, Amen.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
May 4, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Thanks Terrence for today's devotion. When it comes to true happiness in life, the gift of true interior peace is one of the clearest signs that we are on the right track and are making the right decisions. When we choose the will of God each and every day, those choices may be difficult and require much initial sacrifice. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

May 4, 2021 at 07:27 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. B e our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world, seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

annie
May 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM

May 4, 2021 at 07:27 AM

Incredible timing! I tossed and turned all nite and got up this AM very depressed over the state of affairs in this country, sick of the pandemic influence in my life and saddened by the coldness and selfishness of my children. Thank you Terrence for this devotion which has set me aright!

Gayle
May 4, 2021 at 11:03 AM

Turn off media! God is in control. Peace be with you

May 4, 2021 at 07:16 AM

"Strengthened by the church", I have always explained that I go to church because the scripture excerpt "where two or three are gathered there I will be in the midst of them". In the last year when church has been online and a close relative is now on chemo, "church people" have shown up in several ways to support me and for me to provide support, I have felt strengthened for my journey.

May 4, 2021 at 06:40 AM

Oh, what inspiring encouragement which is so needed throughout this very challenging time! Thank you and God bless you Terence!

Patrick
May 4, 2021 at 11:31 AM

Yes Marg the word encouragement jumped out at me when I read this excellent reflection from Terence. We are strengthened by the encouragement of others, others are strengthened by our encouragement in a never ending cycle.