Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 29, 2021
St. Catherine of Siena
Receive the One Who Sent Me
Amen, amen I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.
John 13:20

When I rang the doorbell of my friends’ home yesterday, they both came quickly to the front door and greeted me with wide smiles. I immediately felt lovingly welcomed and received. I long to open the door of my heart that readily and broadly to those I meet, whether they be stranger, helper, relative, friend or community member. If I can remember the intimate connection that Jesus describes—the unbreakable thread of communion with the Holy One who abides within and among humans—I would be more eager and ready to receive others with gracious acceptance. Because I am easily distracted by my own cares, woes and ambitions, I can’t be reminded often enough of this enriching, spiritual encounter that occurs when I genuinely receive another. Today’s gospel teaching calls out: “Receive every person. Remember Christ dwells within them. This welcome will unite you to the One who sent him into the world.”

- Sr. Joyce Rupp

Acts 13:13-25 • Psalm 89:2-3, 21-22, 25, 27 John 13:16-20

Comments

April 29, 2021 at 10:42 AM

April 29, 2021 at 06:46 PM

Yes, Maggi, I agree! So I follow a fire drill: STOP what I am thinking/saying/doing, DROP to my knees and pray, and ROLL with the guidance of the Holy Spirit :-)

Maggi
April 29, 2021 at 04:32 PM

My impatience with others amazes me. Remembering to see Christ in others is harder you would think! This impatience may also reflect my impatience with myself. Stop, look, and listen to what the holy spirits have to say to redirect me.

April 29, 2021 at 10:35 AM

Love Paul's recalling God's faithfulness, goodness and sovereignty in Acts 13: ***God chose people Israel ***God exaulted people Israel in Egypt ***God led people Israel out of Egypt ***God destroyed 7 nations in Canaan for people Israel ***God gave land to people Israel as inheritance ***God provided people Israel judges and prophets ***God gave king Saul to people Israel asking for a king ***God removed king Saul and raised up king David for people Israel ***God brought Savior Jesus to people Israel according to His promise ***God sent John the Baptist to proclaim baptism of repentance ***God commisioned John the Baptist to herald the coming of Jesus ***Did and do I receive not only the whos but also the whats God has for my life knowing that He is faithful, good and sovereign? *******Talking to Jesus by Elevation Worship & Maverick City https://youtu.be/mFDK_hban-I *I love You Jesus for giving up Your life for me! *I love You God for giving up Your Son for me! *I love You Holy Spirit for giving Your power for me!

April 29, 2021 at 10:19 AM

Good Thursday Morning. "Believe" is the common thread in today's message. Paul's great explanation of his missionary journey to spread the word of Christ, so others have the chance to believe. Paul also explains what God has already given to us and our ancestors so we and others may believe. Jesus, also reminds us that we are blessed if we understand the relationship between the Father and the Son. Let us help others with whatever explanation they need to believe. Share Christ message, He will help give us the words needed. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers of our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they may see the face of Christ today in Heaven. We pray, Amen.

April 29, 2021 at 10:15 AM

Tillie, it has been a while since LFF has heard from you and I am hoping that you are okay. Your insightful, faith filled comments are missed ! Take care and God bless you, our friend.

Margaret Healy
April 29, 2021 at 08:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing! Tillie - hoping all is well for you.

Patrick
April 29, 2021 at 12:55 PM

I’ll say ditto to that Faith. Hope all is well with you Tillie

Greyson Lusignan Respond to comment
April 29, 2021 at 09:45 AM

I am a good student at school and buckle up with GOD AMEN

A good student Respond to comment
April 29, 2021 at 09:44 AM

Amen GOD at work

April 29, 2021 at 09:34 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God- cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

April 29, 2021 at 08:17 AM

April 29, 2021 at 07:32 AM

Christ received those no one else would, right down to his death on the cross. In that hour he received a convicted thief in my humble opinion, setting the example of inclusion and merciful redemption that is at the core of our faith. Peace be with you all!

April 29, 2021 at 07:22 AM

Amen

Victoria Conboy Respond to comment
April 29, 2021 at 06:06 AM

I recall at a religious retreat, years ago, an IHM sister had shared a similar idea with me. When encountering a new person ( or specifically a student's parent, with whom you had to have a difficult conversation ), to take a moment to pray with them before you speak to remind yourself that the Jesus in you is interacting with the Jesus in them. This is something I never tried, but it has always resonated with me. Perhaps, this is my reminder to practice it. May God bless you with a wonderful day.

Patrick
April 29, 2021 at 12:53 PM

This is good thoughtful advice Sr. Joyce and Victoria. I too will renew my efforts to see Jesus in the people particularly the ones I find it difficult to interact with. I guess the best way to approach this is to hand it over to you Lord.

EM
April 29, 2021 at 06:59 AM

Amen. Thank you Sr Rupp and Victoria. I’m going to try today to recall this intimate connection as I interact with others. Hope it becomes a habit! Prayers for all. Ken prayers for Bob and his wife.

Linda
April 29, 2021 at 06:51 AM

I love your comment! It is an encouraging way to greet people who are difficult. Mother Teresa always saw the face of Jesus in each person whom she met. How beautiful!