Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 28, 2021
St. Peter Chanel, St. Louis Grignion de Montfort
Movements of the Spirit
The word of God continued to spread and grow.
Acts 12:24

Acts of the Apostles, nicknamed the “Gospel of the Holy Spirit,” captures the missionary movements and deeds of the first apostles. Today we learn of the early Church commissioning Barnabas and Saul (Paul) to preach. They were “sent out by the Holy Spirit” (13:4) from Antioch to Cyprus on what would be St. Paul’s first missionary journey. More would follow.

To this day, the Church remains on mission, as illustrated by the lives St. Peter Chanel and St. Louis Grignion de Montfort. Even before he was ordained in 1700, Louis dreamt of founding a society of missionaries. An enthusiastic preacher throughout western France, he eventually founded two orders that spread the gospel to other countries. Born a century later, Peter Chanel brought the message of Christ from France to Futuna Island, northeast of Fiji. He eventually died a martyr’s death and is the patron saint of Oceania.

Where will we help to spread the gospel? Are we being attentive to the Holy Spirit?

- Pat Gohn

Acts 12:24—13:5a • Psalm 67:2-3, 5-6, 8 John 12:44-50

Comments

April 28, 2021 at 04:26 PM

Adding Bob and Joyce to my prayer list tonight, Ken. Prayers, also to those of the Living Faith family in need of prayers

April 28, 2021 at 10:54 AM

Ken...Yes, I will tuck Joyce and Bob in my Rosary today. Seems like more and more friends and loved ones are facing health challenges that stop us in our tracks, force us to "look up" and pray louder than we ever did before. I'm doing that right now with a former WNY neighbor, friend and "other Mother". Double cancer diagnosis and God Bless her, at 85 she continues to be positive, upbeat and so faith-filled to ask for prayers. Joyce and Bob will be in good company today with Mrs. Porter in the uplifting Glorious Mysteries!

April 28, 2021 at 02:10 PM

Pam Your the best. My neice lives just outside of Dallas. Finished my route with Feedmore (meals on wheels) and one of my clients asked me if I could get her a bible. I showed her the bible gateway application I have on my phone. I have a print bible home for her. Spring is always funny we had 2 to 3 inches of snow every thing was covered. Very pretty. Thanks for prayers for Bob and Joyce. Ken

April 28, 2021 at 10:29 AM

On one occasion, while they were engaged in the liturgy...The Holy Spirit spoke to them. -- Acts 13:2 Now That would be an exciting mass! Do you think it was a voice, or do you think they all got the same idea in their heads at once? Did the Holy Spirit tell these church members, or just Paul and Barnabas, where exactly they should go, and what exactly they should do when they got there? I note also that they were fasting at the liturgy, and I wish to know what they fasted from and for how long. Our homilies today are so very general, How I wish for something specific! Something we could actually do. I guess when Paul and Barnabas left, the church members who had gotten the message at the liturgy just kept on doing what they were doing, waiting for the next message.

April 28, 2021 at 09:43 PM

Excellent question, Sheila :-) ***The Scripture doesn't really say how the Holy Spirit spoke to them! So it must not be critical? What stood out to me and was mentioned in Scripture: Acts 13:2a, "they were worshiping the Lord and fasting," and Acts 13:3a, "completing their fasting and prayer," So worshiping, fasting and prayer are all connected to hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit! ***The Scripture mentioned a couple more times the Holy Spirit worked in Paul's journey in Acts 16:6-8, "Next Paul and Silas traveled through the area of Phrygia and Galatia, because the Holy Spirit had prevented them from preaching the word in the province of Asia at that time. Then coming to the borders of Mysia, they headed north for the province of Bithynia, but again the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them to go there. So instead, they went on through Mysia to the seaport of Troas. Acts 20:22, 23, "And now I am bound by the Spirit to go to Jerusalem. I don’t know what awaits me, except that the Holy Spirit tells me in city after city that jail and suffering lie ahead." ***When we believe in Jesus, we are given His Holy Spirit. I tell my BSF students to pray for the Holy Spirit to teach them in studying the Scripture and guide them in all their decisions because He does and it is His work to teach and guide us :-) *******I don't know if this helps answering your question, but I love your question :-) There are many types of fasting: ask the Holy Spirit to show you what and how in Scripture and He will :-) To me, fasting is to fast from all things (except water) that keep me from focusing on God, praying to God and worshiping God continuously for a period. So fasting to me is not to fast from food or TV or shopping and go about my normal business on other things.

Greyson Lusignan Respond to comment
April 28, 2021 at 10:06 AM

amen

April 28, 2021 at 09:45 AM

April 28, 2021 at 08:42 AM

We can help spead the Gospel by being an ambassador for Living Faith :-) ***Do you easily share Living Faith with others? Are you involved in your parish, are you the leader or a member of a faith-sharing group ? You might make a perfect Ambassador to spread the word about Living Faith, Daily Catholic Devotions, Living Faith Kids, and La Fe Viva. ***To learn more about the program, please complete this form. As soon as your request is validated, we will send you 20 complimentary copies for you to distribute, tips on how to share Living Faith with others, and an exclusive discount code. You and your group will be able to apply the discount to purchase copies or subscriptions at a reduced rate. Thank you for joining the Living Faith family! I would like to receive: Living Faith (20 copies) Living Faith Kids (20 copies) La Fe Viva (20 copies) ***https://www.livingfaith.com/ambassador

April 28, 2021 at 08:09 AM

April 28, 2021 at 08:03 AM

Traveling the world spreading the word of God, this is what we continue to see as the early church continues to grow. "Believe & See". Jesus is the light of the world, so who remain in darkness, do not have to remain in darkness. Jesus, reminds us he does not speak on his own, but on behalf of his Father, who has sent him to us. The Father wants us to hear, Jesus did not come here to condemn, but to save. Whoever rejects Jesus and does not believe, they will be judge and held accountable on the last day. Hear the Father commandments, they are for eternal life so that we might have a chance to live with him in paradise. The Father and Son are one, let us come to believe and see, we pray, Amen. Blessed most gracious Father in Heave, hear the prayers of your Living Faith Family and offer us much comfort through our trails we face in our lives. Please hear the prayers for the ones who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory what they may see and experience Jesus in Heaven, we pray Amen.

April 28, 2021 at 07:47 AM

Amen. I have always been drawn to St Louis. Quite a few years back I worked with a woman who was an atheist. She was aware of my faith and every now and than I’d give her a ride home and we’d discuss a little. One day she called to say she had something to give me from her brother a famous mime in Paris who had come home for a visit. When I opened the envelope I gasped at the charming simple rosary made out of twine. He made these every year on St Louis feast day and handed them out at the Cathedral of Norte Dame. He had brought a few home with him and asked if anyone in the family wanted one. She didn’t but said she thought of me. I can’t help but believe the spirit moved in her just a little that day. Prayers for all. St Louis and St Chanel pray for us.

maggi
April 28, 2021 at 03:05 PM

Bonnie, I feel it takes courage to reach out to someone. They may not respond the way we want or at the time we want, however we don't know. In my mind, it was a gift that you were so thoughtful toward her. It is important to keep reaching out to each other.

Bonnie L
April 28, 2021 at 11:46 AM

Thanks EM for sharing your story! I absolutely loved it. My story was with my next door neighbor Jen. She mentioned she was going through a divorce. She told me she was raised Protestant but she said now her father is on some path with a group of people that going overboard as she stated. She did not say what she practices or if she does. She said she heard that praying the Rosary in Latin is very powerful. So i asked if I could share in an email how to say the Latin Rosary. She said sure and i sent her it. A couple weeks later, I texted her and offered her a Rosary and said I would love to give it to her. She said I’m sorry but I'm really busy. This was during the elections last year and she was working helping with a campaign. I thought maybe I had pushed the subject too far and it was not for her as well or maybe she has one already. I do know that Im glad I tried.

April 28, 2021 at 10:12 AM

EM Thanks for sharing your story. I totally agree she knew that it would be a good gift for you and the Lord surely touched her. Living faith family please pray for my friend Bob as his wife Joyce has just been told that she has cancer. Keep all the people who need our prayers in your prayers today. Ken

ANNETTE
April 28, 2021 at 08:37 AM

Thanks for sharing this touching story. God bless.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
April 28, 2021 at 06:39 AM

Thanks Pat for today's devotion. The Church is universal. Dear Father in heaven, you show us the way of life; in your presence is fullness of joy, and at your right hand is delight forever. In your presence we want to rejoice together as your children, under your protection. May we become firm in every part of our life on earth. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.