Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 25, 2021
Fourth Sunday of Easter
Hidden Potential
The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.
Psalm 118:22

It is not easy to judge potential. In the NFL draft, for example, sometimes a prospect many teams pass on turns out to be a great player. One notable example is star quarterback Tom Brady—the 199th pick in 2000! Perceiving hidden potential is one of the great themes in Scripture too. The Hebrews appeared to be a small and insignificant tribe, but God selected them to be the Chosen people. David was a mere shepherd boy when Samuel anointed him king of Israel. Mary, a lowly maiden from Galilee, became the mother of the Messiah. And Jesus, the carpenter’s son from Nazareth, became the savior of the world. Is there anything in my life that has potential that I am overlooking? Perhaps it is a family member, a co-worker, a student, a plan, a difficult situation—or even me. What might I do to help nourish and release that potential?

All-perceiving God, give me the eyes to see the hidden potential in someone or something today.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Acts 4:8-12 • Psalm 118:1, 8-9, 21-23, 26, 28-29 1 John 3:1-2 • John 10:11-18

Comments

April 25, 2021 at 10:10 AM

Amen

April 25, 2021 at 09:56 AM

April 25, 2021 at 09:29 AM

“Good Shepherd Sunday” We definitely have the best Shepherd ever, to lead us all down the pastures of our lives. In today’s first reading we see Peter and the Apostles continuing to share Jesus’s message to everyone. By the power of the Holy Spirit and in Jesus’s name these brave Apostles were able to heal those who came to them, but only by the name of Jesus was this possible. Peter also points out to the elders of the temple that they in fact “Rejected” the ONE that was to come, the Messiah, the chosen one. Now the church grew because Peter and the Apostles were continuously building upon what Jesus had started, the Cornerstone, foundation of the church. Today, this church, our church is still going stronger than ever. More and more young men are being ordained keeping his church thriving. I love this next saying, it gives me an inner feeling of confidence and excitement for the future of our church. “I am the good Shepherd says the Lord. I know my sheep and mine know me”. Jesus chooses us by name to help minister and grow his church here in our communities and world. Our good shepherd laid down his life so that we might have the opportunity of eternal life. Let us awake each day and give thanks to our good shepherd. “Put our good shepherd first” everyday and let your lives be transformed. It is that easy, but me included, try to make it a lot more complicated than that. Pick up the word of God, reflect in the daily mass readings. This is a much better way to cover and learn his word, vs. reading his word from left to right, from front to back. Try it for me today. Open the word by reflecting on todays mass readings. Overtime you will not only be learning more, your eyes will be opened, your heart will be more willing to receive and your actions will be more giving to others. Today, reflect on the 100 sheep in today’s gospel, are we in the pack of 99 or the one that wandered off, are we the one, whom the good shepherd searches out to find and bring back to the group. Dear Jesus I truly here your voice, please forgive me for I have sinned and grant me your grace, so that I may continue to keep your commandments and do for others as you have taught each of us. This day your lonely sheep has come home, blessed are we to have a good shepherd as you. Dear Jesus all of us, your Living faith Family bring our prayers and petitions to you, please hear them and those who have no one to pray or listen to them this day, please hear our prayers. Dear Jesus for those who have gone before us to wait for the opportunity to enter the kingdoms of God, the souls in Purgatory, please let these souls see your face in their Heavenly Kingdom with you, we pray. Amen. (Have a blessed Good Shepherd Sunday).

April 25, 2021 at 09:21 AM

Praying for Paul’s surgery tomorrow. Keep repeating over and over and over from your heart, Jesus, I trust in You!! In His divine mercy, Jesus will take care of everything according to His holy will! Jesus, I trust in You! Every time you start to worry, or become afraid of what might happen in the future, keep saying in your heart and your soul, Jesus, I trust in You! He will bring you peace, He will calm your fears, He will bring you to trust !

April 25, 2021 at 09:12 AM

Amen Sister! Beautiful reflection. Thank you.

a God follower Respond to comment
April 25, 2021 at 08:18 AM

Praying for Paul. Dear Lord please be with Paul and his family especially tomorrow, the hospital staff, his nurses and doctors, and let all be well for this family in Jesus name, Amen. Thank you for this great devotion today, Sr. Svoboda, and an equally great application from Sham Peter Narine!

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
April 25, 2021 at 07:20 AM

Thanks Melannie for today's devotion. A true shepherd is one who lays down his life for his sheep. Today, as we celebrate Good Shepherd Sunday, all of us, priests, religious, lay leaders and corporate leaders are all called to be shepherds after his own. We must be Christ, the Good Shepherd, to others every day. And the way we do this is by looking for ways to lay our lives down for others, putting them first, overcoming every selfish tendency, and serving them with our lives. In a special way, we need to pray for paul who is having a surgery tomorrow. Also prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

April 25, 2021 at 07:00 AM

My prayers for Paul Drozdeck. Amen

April 25, 2021 at 06:40 AM

Please pray for my husband Paul he is having surgery tomorrow. Pray to the Lord Jesus he will be okay, he and I are afraid . Thank you

April 25, 2021 at 10:16 PM

***Isaiah 41:10, "Don’t be afraid, for I AM with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I AM your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand!" ***Deuteronomy 31:6, 8, "So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you! Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; He will neither fail you nor abandon you!" ***Luke 8:50, "Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus (you, A), “Don’t be afraid; just believe, and she (your husband, Paul) will be healed.” *******In Jesus' powerful Name and our faithful good Shepherd, we pray :-) Amen!

April 25, 2021 at 09:02 PM

Praying for Paul Right now. Sorry for responding late my youngest son came home from the hospital this morning nevertheless I am praying. Shepherd story tomorrow. Ken K

Maggi
April 25, 2021 at 05:38 PM

My prayers are coming your way.

Bill L
April 25, 2021 at 03:27 PM

Both you and Paul will be in my Rosary tonight.

Louis
April 25, 2021 at 11:30 AM

Prayers for a successful surgery.

Holly
April 25, 2021 at 09:55 AM

Prayers for you and your husband that you will feel the power and peace of our Lord, who is with us always.

Tim
April 25, 2021 at 09:01 AM

Prayers for Paul “Successful” Surgery tomorrow and for the felt of the shepherds hand during the process. Amen.

Joann
April 25, 2021 at 08:59 AM

Prayers that the surgery will go well. That God will direct the surgeon's hands and to calm any anxiety.

EM
April 25, 2021 at 07:54 AM

Praying for a successful surgery. Also praying today for vocations on this world day of Good Shepherd Sunday. Amen.

ANNETTE
April 25, 2021 at 07:46 AM

Prayers for Paul tomorrow and for the surgeon and all the medical personnel he comes in contact with. And prayers for you that you may feel God's loving peace with you as you await his recovery.

B.T.
April 25, 2021 at 07:09 AM

I will keep Paul in my prayers.