Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 24, 2021
St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen
A Boy on a Bike
It is the Spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail.
John 6:63

I have been fortunate to live on a quiet street across from a wildlife preserve for the last thirty years. All that changed when the coronavirus known as COVID-19 turned our world upside down. Suddenly, there were droves of people in the street and sidewalk in front of our house—biking, rollerblading, jogging and walking dogs. The steady stream of people was completely understandable, but in a time when life felt so confining, I found it a difficult adjustment. Things came to a head when a preteen boy came barreling down the sidewalk on his bike and nearly hit me from behind. Months of pent-up frustration were unleashed, and I angrily yelled at him for his carelessness.

What happened next surprised and humbled me. He stopped his bike and apologized profusely. There was nothing left to do but allow the Spirit to open my heart, apologize for my own behavior and reconcile.

- Terri Mifek

Acts 9:31-42 • Psalm 116:12-17 John 6:60-69

Comments

Margaret Liebel Respond to comment
April 24, 2021 at 09:11 PM

I always think of Peter when he says, where should we go Lord? You are the way the truth and the life. When I lost my husband suddenly to homicide,it was like being dropped in a black hole. The one true thing that kept me going was my faith and that God would not abandon me. For a long time it felt like He did, but like Peter said where else could I gu? The Lord has proven to be my strength over the past years, and continues to guide me.

April 24, 2021 at 05:04 PM

I special thought came to me this morning as I was reflecting on today’s readings. We see Peter, full of faith in the first reading and then in he second reading we see some who simply cannot believe stop following Jesus. Jesus looks at the 12 and says do you want to leave as well? Peter with Great Faith, says exactly what Jesus wants to hear from each one of us, Lord where would we go, we know that you are the Son of God, you have the words of eternal life. Peter responds with great conviction, no wonder Jesus selects Peter to lead his church. What a great message found in both reading today. These should be titled “Faith”. Enjoy your Saturday, Hear prayers for the Living Faith Family, those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, we pray, Amen.

April 24, 2021 at 12:03 PM

Thank you Terri for being real and sharing your story with us! I have been there and done that many of times :-( ***It is always a struggle between the flesh and the Spirit. *Matthew 26:41b, "(Jesus said) The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." *John 3:6, "(Jesus said) Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit." *Galatians 3:3, "Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?" *Galatians 5:16-17, "So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want." *Ephesians 2:1-2, "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the Spirit Who is now at work in those who are disobedient." *Romans 8:3-4, "For what the law (compliant to the commandments) was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so He condemned sin in the flesh (dying as human on the cross), in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." *Romans 8:14-15, "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by Him we cry, “Abba, Father.” ***Paul explained to us how to live life through the Spirit in Romans 8:1-17. And he also shared with us his struggles in Romans 7:15, 18-19, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.......For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing." *******When My Flesh is Weak (Watching and Praying) https://youtu.be/RAi5Hh1fyTU

April 24, 2021 at 11:58 AM

Amen

April 24, 2021 at 11:19 AM

BSF Lesson 27 Notes on the Doctrine of Reconciliation, "Most people do not even realize they are enemies of God. They live life unaware that their biggest problem is with God. People attempt to approach God on their own terms, which actually is not an option. There is only one way to come to God – through the shed blood of His own Son. If you do not recognize the peril you face because of your sin, you cannot value the costly reconciliation God has provided. To fail to be reconciled to God through His Son leaves you condemned, bearing the weight of your own sin and guilt. You are left an enemy of God, your Creator, your Judge. Do you realize how wonderful it is to be declared forever right with God? Because of what Jesus has done, those deserving eternal judgment can know, enjoy and worship God (Romans 5:10; 2 Corinthians 5:18-19; Ephesians 2:12-13). Instead of being cast away from God’s presence, He lovingly and tenderly draws you to Himself. When you understand the peril you faced, you cannot help but be humbled and overwhelmed by the indescribable and costly privilege of walking with God. 1 John 3:1 says, “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” Christ broke down the wall that separated us from God. Have you been reconciled to God? If so, you can become an agent of reconciliation, leading people who are alienated from God to know and love Him. Former enemies of God can become His own children. What a wonder! What good news!" You can find the complete notes and weekly questions by registering at https://www.mybsf.org/register

April 24, 2021 at 10:52 AM

I pray for a friend Karen Gray who lost her husband to Covid-19. I pray that she gets strength from the Holy Spirit to carry on. Also, a prayer for my sister Sandy that she receive complete healing from her cancer. All in Jesus Name.

April 24, 2021 at 06:59 PM

Agreeing and praying with you, Kathy. Amen!

April 24, 2021 at 08:09 AM

How timely! Every Sunday since the pandemic, we recite a prayer to Mary at our church for her intercession to her Son. Most important for me is the part where we ask specifically to be granted patience and kindness during this time of pandemic. This litany prayer has been most helpful for me as patience often dwindles and I find myself reminded that I am not the only one going thru this!

Sharmain Joseph Respond to comment
April 24, 2021 at 07:55 AM

Always be humble. God is in control. ????

April 24, 2021 at 07:10 AM