Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 23, 2021
St. George, St. Adalbert
Turning Toward God
On his journey, as he was nearing Damascus, a light from the sky suddenly flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice…
Acts 9:3-4

People often use the phrase “road to Damascus” to describe the events surrounding a person’s conversion. I’m one of those who, like Paul, had an adult conversion. Mine, though, was a lot more like that of my patron saint, Augustine. He was fascinated by faith but blocked by overthinking it. He said to friend and fellow philosopher Alypius: “What is the matter with us? … Nonphilosophers surge ahead of us and snatch heaven.” Moments later, he was able to surrender to what he already knew in his heart, and his conversion unfolded.

It can be good from time to time to recall our conversion moments, be they hard or soft, quick or slow—to remember what drew us to faith and be thankful that we chose to turn toward the way of Truth.

Take a moment to reflect on that moment when your faith emerged or deepened.

- Phil Fox Rose

Acts 9:1-20 • Psalm 117:1-2 John 6:52-59

Comments

April 23, 2021 at 11:45 AM

I seem to be in an ongoing conversion process, because I have to continually remind myself to “ let go and let God”.

Margaret
April 23, 2021 at 03:05 PM

I'm the same! Sometimes it disappoints me...I think why can't I get beyond a certain place? Then I receive mercy and grace and the Holy Spirit continues to work in me to keep reading the word, learning and growing my relationship with Jesus. I love having this platform to read every day, knowing there are others like-minded that struggle but also pray for others and this world daily.

April 23, 2021 at 10:37 AM

April 23, 2021 at 09:35 AM

Yup! I was one of the those who went to chruch weekly and had no personal relationship with Jesus. It was a check list for me: Believe in God, check; go to church, check; celebrate Easter and Christmas, check; be nice to others, check; do the right thing, check; wear a cross, check; say the right prayers, check! ***My mantra was, "God helps those who help themselves!" (Creating God in my image!) So I never asked help from God, not in the way that it should be - I ask God to agree with me and bless what I was going to do because it was for my own good. Who knows what was best for me than myself? ***My conversion was when I had nothing left to help myself, that was when I realized that I am a sinner and I am not capable of helping/saving myself. That God created me in His image. And the only way I know who I am is to know Who God is :-) ***Paul was very knowledgeable and authoritative in the religious matters, but He didn't know Jesus personally! He finally did on his way to Damascus when he was blinded :-) *******How about you? Do you know Jesus, I mean really know Him as a person, as your Savior from your death in sins and as your Lord of your ressurection in everyday life? ***My Savior Performance by Carrie Underwood https://youtu.be/B-Ryd6xwTn4

April 23, 2021 at 09:01 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen. Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts, by the power of God- Cast into hell Satan and all evil sprits, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

April 23, 2021 at 08:50 AM

Go out to the world and tell the Good News. Jesus is asking each one of us today to use St. Paul's conversion to stir excitement within each of us. Did you notice a similar statement in today's first reading? Three days, Paul sat not being able to see, eat or drink, Jesus too was in the tomb for three days and rose again. From the moment that Paul regain his sight he was Baptized and began preaching the word of God to everyone. He even went into the Jewish temple, a place that was familiar to him all of these years. He had no fear, his life was changed, turned upside down in the good way. He also, in time had to suffer greatly for God because of his proclaiming the word of God, but he was okay with that. As we have read and heard many stories of St. Paul's strength. let us all call upon his strength, his conversion and live for Christ a New. Jesus you are the bread of life, today open our eyes, hearts and build in us this burning desire to learn more about you and your Heavenly Father in the word. Help me to pray more earnestly, grant me this day the additional wisdom, knowledge and understanding that I need to continue to share with others your life and teachings. Please continue to offer your blessings and graces to my family, and send our angel to offer protection today. Let each of us in my family and the world, "Put You First". I pray for all of our Living Faith Family, that their prayers and intentions be heard today. I pray for all of those who have no one to pray for them. I pray for all of the souls in Purgatory that they may see the face of Christ in Heaven today.

Pam
April 23, 2021 at 10:46 AM

Tim! Answered prayers my friend! You truly are living your faith in your words that you share with us every day...thank you!

April 23, 2021 at 08:28 AM

April 23, 2021 at 07:22 AM

Amen. Wonderful devotional today. As I reflect on the events that mark my conversion and reconversion I am humbled by Gods love and mercy for me. I clearly see the saints and godwink moments he sent to bring me back to him. Several years ago during my early reconversion I came across the LF devotional which the church provided complimentary copies. I looked forward to every month’s copy until one month when there were no copies left. Bummed I left adoration and on my way home felt a strong desire to stop at my supermarket. I wandered the aisles like a lost sheep and found myself at the TP aisle. I randomly reached up to grab a package when my hand touched something. To my surprise it was that months LF devotional! True story! The other blessing was I found this site and this wonderful community not long afterwards. God bless everyone.

Holly
April 23, 2021 at 10:37 AM

Thank you for sharing! What a blessing to see how much our Lord cares for us!

Sandi G
April 23, 2021 at 08:51 AM

I love hearing God story’s Blessings to all

Bonnie L
April 23, 2021 at 08:10 AM

EM I just love your story. Praise be to God! I giggled with happiness when you said i was reaching for TP and found the Living Faith (Gods miracle). Peace be with you and all the LF family!

April 23, 2021 at 05:51 AM

Thank you Phil, your devotional really spoke to me this morning. I am analytical and a deep thinker at least I was when I look back over my younger life. I am better now at taking things as they come. I have moved from having a knowledge of Jesus to having a friendship and relationship with him. I have faith, and I trust in His word. I can identify the events that mark my conversion. The worry worts of life still penetrate my certainty at times but only last for a while as I have learned when I am so disturbed to quickly be still and know that He is God.