Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 22, 2021
The Gift of Baptism
As they traveled along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “…What is to prevent me being baptized?” Then he ordered the chariot to stop, and Philip and the eunuch both went down into the water, and he baptized him.
Acts 8:36-38

The rhythm of this unfolding story delights me. At the Spirit’s command, Philip catches up with the chariot and explains to the Ethiopian eunuch the passage in Isaiah (53:7-8) he was pondering. It describes a prophecy of Jesus giving his life to save us. As Philip proclaims more about Jesus, the chariot passes by water and the eunuch asks if he could be baptized. They go into the water, Philip baptizes him, the Spirit “snatches” Philip away, and the eunuch continues on his way rejoicing.

In Judaism, eunuchs were prohibited from participation in Temple rituals. The Ethiopian might have feared this would prevent his becoming a Christian. He rejoiced when Philip baptized him immediately.

Holy Spirit, I rejoice to witness how lovingly you welcome us all.

- Patricia Livingston

Acts 8:26-40 • Psalm 66:8-9, 16-17, 20 John 6:44-51

Comments

April 22, 2021 at 04:35 PM

Annie and Eleanor, you and your family and friends will be in my rosary this evening.

annie
April 23, 2021 at 12:29 PM

Thank you Ken and Bill L, and our Living Faith Family.

April 22, 2021 at 03:45 PM

Dear Living Faith Family, I ask you for your prayers today for my 95 year old Aunt, Mary Magdalene N, who is moving from her own home into a nursing home tomorrow. Praying for a smooth, peaceful transition for her. She is a retired RN who worked caring for others, including her own family, for many years. She is a devout Catholic who has been an inspiration to me and many all of her life. May God Bless us Everyone.

April 22, 2021 at 05:34 PM

Annie Sorry for responding so late but I will pray for your aunt Mary Magdalene by praying the divine mercy chaplet right now. Ken

April 22, 2021 at 10:40 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts, by the power of God, cast into hell, Satan and all evil sprits who prowl about the world, seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

April 22, 2021 at 10:21 AM

The angel of the Lord directed Philip to go meet this Ethiopian eunuch in his chariot. Why? We don't know, but we do know that Philip was supposed to proclaim Jesus to this Ethiopain eunuch who happened to be reading the Gospel of the Old Testamnet, Isaiah!!! ***Acts 8:28-29, "Seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah. The Spirit said to Philip, “Go and join up with that chariot.” ***Acts 8:30-31, "Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” He replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” ***Acts 8:34-35, "Then the eunuch said to Philip in reply, “I beg you, about Whom is the prophet (Isaiah) saying this? About himself, or about someone else?” Then Philip opened his mouth and, beginning with this Scripture passage, he proclaimed Jesus to him." *******How about today? ***Who is drawing us to God? The answer is Jesus in John 6:44, "Jesus said to the crowds: “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day." ***Who is instructing us about the Scripture? The answer is the Holy Spirit in John 14:26, "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. ***Who has eternal life? The answer is in John 6:47, "Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes (in Jesus) has eternal life." *******This I Believe The Creed by Hillsong Worship https://youtu.be/VRzI_FbWTkg.......I hope you will ask more questions (post them here) and the Holy Spirit will teach us (anyone can explain by the power and prompting of the Holy Spirit and post them here :-)

April 22, 2021 at 09:51 AM

Sharing with you my BSF student lesson this week...BSF Student Class Schedule ***Opening (10:10-10:20am) ***Interactive Bible Lesson *A. Principle #1 (10:20-10:23am) *B. Questions (10:23-10:30am) *C. Principle #2 (10:30-10:33am) *D. Questions (10:33-10:40am) *E. Principle #3 (10:40-10:43am) *F. Questions #3 (10:43-10:50am) ***Basic Truth of the Christian Faith/Homiletics/Discovery (10:50-11:05am) ***Closing (11:05-11:10am) *******This week, I am responsible for Opening and Questions (so I created a Jeopardy game): Opening on the last two columns and Questions on the first three columns...https://jeopardylabs.com/play/bsf-genesis-student-lesson-27

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
April 22, 2021 at 09:39 AM

Good morning Living Faith Family.I would like you all to offer up a word of prayer for my two friends family members .They both died suddenly (Alston Jack and Yolanda Williams) May their souls and all the souls of the faithfully departed rest in peace. AMEN.

April 22, 2021 at 05:38 PM

Eleanor Pierre I am sorry for your loss. I will include Alston Jack and Yolanda Williams in the divine mercy chaplet right now Ken

Mike E
April 22, 2021 at 11:14 AM

May the Lord receive Alston and Yolandas souls into eternal peace, Lord hear my prayers.

Mel
April 22, 2021 at 11:03 AM

Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

April 22, 2021 at 09:16 AM

Come to the word of God and your eyes will be opened to his message. When was the first time on our own, all grown up, when you searched out to hear his message and wanted to understand it more fully. What a message in today's first reading, the honesty, the strong desire to be taught the word of God and to be baptized by the power of the Holy Spirit. We too can experience this strong desire, if we come to him with our hearts open wide to receive him into your lives. Today's Gospel, reminds each us that Jesus is the bread of life and we can and will experience his presence every time we share in the Eucharist during Mass. Come to the table of the Lord and believe and receive. These messages today are very strong and I hope they give you peace in your lives and fill you with his Holy Spirit. Dear Jesus, hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, offered here today, let us offer prayers for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they will see the face of Christ in their eternal life in Heaven, we pray, Amen.

April 22, 2021 at 09:12 AM

Just...Good Morning Living Faith Family! God Bless Us, And ALL Who We Love.

April 22, 2021 at 08:28 AM