Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 20, 2021
Love Overcomes
“Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” … Now Saul was consenting to his execution.
Acts 7:59; 8:1

If I were a painter, I would portray this vivid scene of St. Stephen’s last day on earth. The emotions are vibrant, the movement evocative. Where would I stand—with Stephen, giving his spirit to Christ rather than returning violence? With Saul, standing apart from the same violence while also approving and encouraging it? Stephen enters into eternal life by remaining in love and truth, even while being stoned. Saul rejects Christ without ever picking up a stone; he “looks good,” yet his act is more harmful than the stone throwers because he is the one with authority.

We witness that the power of violence is nothing compared to the power of God. Violence doesn’t have power over the heart of Stephen. It doesn’t have power to separate Saul from the love of God made present in Christ. That love later penetrates Saul’s soul and helps him become the apostle Paul. In him, as for us today, Easter Sunday is not over but alive with power.

- Mary Marrocco

Acts 7:51—8:1 • Psalm 31:3-4, 6-8, 17, 21 John 6:30-35

Comments

April 20, 2021 at 09:33 AM

"I am the bread of life, say the Lord". Today we hear the same old tired message of the unbeliever, Jesus kept getting asked these same questions, now his Apostles. Will it ever stop, the answer is no, not with the unbelief in the world. Blessed are we who believe and can fully put our faith him Jesus, Alleluia. Jesus hear us who believe and continue to shower us with the bread of life. continue to strengthen our unbelief and encourage us to share this bread of life with others, so they too may not go hungry. May they come in prayer to you this day and be in the light, we pray. We also pray today for the soul of St. Stephen who believed in our Lord Jesus Christ and who stood firm and shared the teachings of Jesus, even if it meant giving us his life. Dear Jesus, hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, may they this day see the risen face of Christ, we pray, Amen.

Bill L
April 20, 2021 at 05:01 PM

Gayle, that is probably the best question I've seen on this site. How do we believe? Why do we believe? Scholars and theologians have been debating this for ages. There has to be something inside of us to hold on to, to strive for and to hope for. Just saying you are struggling with this means to me that you have not given up. We can't all save the world. But we can pick our battles. We have to do God's work. Jesus started it by Rising and handing us the Reigns. So, Gayle, I believe in you. I will pray with and for you tonight that your questions will be answered.

Maggi
April 20, 2021 at 01:09 PM

Gayle, the answer doesn't always come when and how we want it, but it does come. Keep asking and praying.

Gayle
April 20, 2021 at 12:08 PM

Tim, I must tell you I have been struggling with belief since this pandemic started. We say we believe God can do anything yet churches closed. Did we not think God would protect us? He save the people from the snakes just by Moses lifting up a carved snake. I really have thought about this for a year. Do we really believe God can do anything?

April 20, 2021 at 08:57 AM

T.W.
April 20, 2021 at 10:30 PM

Gayle, I too love to tell others about the story of Moses and snake. People were only healed if they choose to looked at the snake. If the people of the world don't look to Jesus, no healing will took place either. It amaze me why people don't choose to look at the Healer Jesus Christ.

Allen Lea
April 20, 2021 at 06:56 PM

Yes. But we have to believe also. God also lets countries and people pay for their sins. As a country we have permitted sins to be law and have done nothing about. The vast majority of Americans have said nothing. Could this be for the sin that we as a country have permitted?

Maggi
April 20, 2021 at 01:06 PM

Believe. We may not get the answer we want in the moment, however keep asking and it will come.

April 20, 2021 at 08:21 AM

April 20, 2021 at 08:12 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts- by the power of God- Cast into hell Satan and all evil sprits, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen