Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 19, 2021
Strive for What Endures
Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life…
John 6:27

Our culture trains us in striving and suffering, competition and comparison. If we work in the pursuit of what the world tells us, we end up uncertain, exhausted, unfulfilled…empty.

Food that goes bad represents things that do not nourish, things that do not satisfy, things that do not last. We have all experienced how it feels to yearn and earn. The unsettling emotion of “I’ll be happy when______,” only to realize that each time we fill in the blank, we feel oddly blank. There is no way to get there from here—to bridge the great chasm of desire and fulfillment—without recognizing that our only deep longing is for God himself. The only way to fill the cavern of human need is with Divine Love.

This verse reminds us that our efforts are wasted if not aligned with what is eternal. We are designed and destined to transcend. We were created to crave what is everlasting. All other nourishment spoils.

- Kristin Armstrong

Acts 6:8-15 • Psalm 119:23-24, 26-27, 29-30 John 6:22-29

Comments

April 19, 2021 at 01:51 PM

John 6:28-29, "So they (the crowd) said to Him, “What can we do to accomplish the works of God?” Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in the One (Jesus Himself) He sent.” ***So what can we do to accomplish the works of God? Same answer - This is the work of God: that you believe in Jesus! You see, I am not capable of accomplishing the works of God myself because God Himself is doing the work through the Holy Spirit in me! ***So I can't do anything to accomplish the works of God, but the Holy Spirit does acccomplish the works of God using me! ***Philippians 2:13, "for it is God Who works in you to will (even my will is not my own but God's work) and to act (nor my good works) in order to fulfill His good purpose!" *******It reminds me of my Chiropractic monthly adjustments, "Salina, just relax and go limb so I can do the work of adjusting your spine!" Matthew 24:35, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My Words will never pass away!" I pray for the power and wisdom of the Holy Spirit to accomplish God's work without any resistance (zero ohms) from me :-) Amen! Yet Not I But Through Christ In Me by CityLight https://youtu.be/zundjUFazfg

April 19, 2021 at 12:35 PM

Yes, what an appropriate reflection for me as my wife and I prepare to relocate to another state. All the details and hope that everything will fall into place with each decision.

April 19, 2021 at 08:54 AM

I always look forward to your reflections, Kristin...and today’s did not disappoint! Beautiful and insightful food for thought????

April 19, 2021 at 08:34 AM

Amen. Very powerful message. Thank you!

April 19, 2021 at 08:31 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for your Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for m y faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Chris have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask t hat you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirts, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

April 19, 2021 at 08:19 AM

April 19, 2021 at 08:15 AM

Let us strive and pray for additional Wisdom as Stephen processed, so that we too may proclaim boldly the word of the Lord Jesus Christ. The word of the Lord is the good food, let us only desire his food that we may have eternal life. Jesus continues to let his followers know what is good and that by following him and his commandments is the true food for our eternal lives. When we are in the middle of our challenges, crosses of our lives, pull ourselves closer to him and his word for what is everlasting and not temporary. Put God First in our days, be transformed in the word, so that you can receive the true nourishment needed to live a life full, not in fear or anxiety. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers of your Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that yes, today they may see the face of Christ, we pray, Amen.

April 19, 2021 at 08:03 AM

Saint Augustine so wisely said, “we are made for God and our Hearts are restless until they rest in Him.“ We spend all of our lives looking for something, searching for something, longing for something, aching for something and that something has a capital S because that Something is God Himself! Let us turn our hearts and minds and wills to Him Who Can do all things, nothing is impossible for God!

azmom
April 19, 2021 at 08:22 AM

Love your comment, Jo. Our hearts will never be content until we put God first in our lives.

A God follower Respond to comment
April 19, 2021 at 07:39 AM

Amen, Amen Kristen and Patrick.

April 19, 2021 at 06:01 AM

Well put Kristen. I often reflect on how short lived are the apparent benefits of much that we strive for in life. The smell of upholstery in a new car wears off quickly and the gleaming body work soon picks a few scratches and some dirt. The perfectly redecorated room is damaged by excited children or grandchildren. The long sought after promotion fades into a daily routine and disappears completely after the next restructuring. One constant that remains steadfast is the word of God, the value of love and relationships.

Maggi
April 19, 2021 at 01:45 PM

Sandy
April 19, 2021 at 09:09 AM

Love the comment, Patrick. So true.