Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 17, 2021
Accepting Our Limitations
Brothers, select from among you seven reputable men…
Acts 6:3

One of the crosses in the aging process is not being able to do in a day what was easily done when younger. Recently, a retired friend told me she’d offered to take the responsibility for making arrangements for a dinner her sister was having. Too late, it came to her how big a task it was—it would wear her to a frazzle. Wisely, she thought of her teenage grandkids and asked, “How would you like to help me?” They willingly obliged. She portioned out tasks, and the project was done quickly and done well. Most importantly, they had a good time working together! The lesson learned? Delegate!

Today we see an example of delegating in the early Church. The apostles were consumed with spreading the Good News—so much so that the needs of the Hellenistic widows were not being met. They solved the problem by delegating “seven reputable men” to take on the task. They would become the first deacons.

- Judy Schueneman

Acts 6:1-7 • Psalm 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19 John 6:16-21

Comments

April 17, 2021 at 11:43 PM

Prayers for you, Ken, and all the Living Faith family.

April 17, 2021 at 07:36 PM

Storms will come and go in our lives, this we can be assured. What a pleasure to know that Jesus will always be with each of in the middle of these storms and will guide us through and to shore once again. Today know that our needs are measured out and will be met as our Lord and Savior sees fit, and when our storms come into our lives he will equally be there for us as well. Take courage, keep your faith in him stronger than ever, with Christ we will be able to accomplish much in our lives, apart from him, well, let us pray we will never have to experience this situation, let us pray. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayer today for all of this Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory we pray that they see the face of Christ in Heaven, we pray, Amen.

April 17, 2021 at 07:30 PM

Ken, I totally understand with committing, you probably want to help at anytime, but a full commitment is totally different. I will add you personally in my prayers and ask God to speak to your hear with the help of his Spirit. Once this happens you will know what do and your family will accept your decision in whatever it might be. Prays always for my sister’s soul and Kathy’s everyday! Amen my dear friend.

April 17, 2021 at 04:10 PM

Thanks, Judy. Many of us try to take on projects alone thinking we can handle this. Only to find out it was more work than we thought. As I've aged, I find it easier to accept help from others. /// Ken, you are a special man. I will pray to St. Joseph (the Family man) tonight for strength in your decision. Prayers for all the Living Faith family and all in need of prayers.

April 17, 2021 at 10:25 AM

Letting others help, working together. This does bring us closer. Why would we want to do it all or to work alone? Thank you for today's devotion. Praying for world stillness, and peace.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
April 17, 2021 at 07:45 AM

Thanks Judy for today's devotion. If fear is something you struggle with on a personal level, then turn your eyes to the reality of the Redemption. The Father sent the Son into the world to save you. Jesus did not only come to teach, or to inspire, or to help. He came to save. His saving act changes humanity forever. If you understand that and believe it, then nothing can steal away your peace and fill you with fear. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

Bonnie L
April 17, 2021 at 01:28 PM

Kjc , I will pray for you to be guided by God and the Holy Spirit. May God Bless you and your family and grant you many graces. Amen

April 17, 2021 at 10:04 AM

I am going through some decisions about committing to watching my 1 year old grandson. I enjoy doing it every other week but I come home exhausted. I am not a spring chicken and my best friend and departed wife does guide me. I am praying over it. Living faith family please pray for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and their families. Ken