Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 14, 2021
True Prayer
I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall be ever in my mouth.
Psalm 34:2

It is important that our prayers be honest and truthful. It is so easy to praise God when things go our way, a family member is healed or our new job peeks over the horizon. But what happens when God asks us to wait, or even says “No”? Do we place a no-care onus on the Divine?

Blessing means to accept the hopeful fact that God may have a surprise in store that is infinitely more than we dare expect and to surrender to God’s plan, believing without a doubt that God cares for us and loves us beyond all telling. With praise on our lips, can we leave the outcome of our fervent prayers in God’s hands and Christ’s heart?

- Sr. Bridget Haase O.S.U.

Acts 5:17-26 • Psalm 34:2-9 John 3:16-21

Comments

April 14, 2021 at 03:50 PM

Yes Salina, I also struggle with repetitive prayer. I just need to talk to The Triune God like my best friend.

April 14, 2021 at 01:57 PM

I prefer "Communication: You talk, I listen and I talk, You listen!" I am not into standard recited prayers. I want to know God more, that is what prayers are for me :-) Sometimes, prayers are what I say to others sharing or reflecting on what I learn about God! Sometimes, prayers are silence and listening and waiting on God! Sometimes, prayers are listening to Christian music agreeing on the lyrics! Sometimes, prayers are complaints! Sometimes, prayers are laments! Sometimes, prayers are reading His Word and asking questions! Sometimes, prayers are my thoughts! Sometimes, prayers are petitions according to His will! Sometimes, prayers are asking to reveal His will! Well, the list can go on...so in summary, I am in constant prayer until I fell asleep and it starts all over again when I wake up :-) ***The Psalms are full of prayers! ***The Bible is full of prayers! ***The Holy Spirit leads me in prayer! *******Lord God, You hear my cry! I sought the LORD, and You answered me and delivered me from all my fears. I look to You that I may be radiant with joy, and my faces may not blush with shame! Amen!!! (Psalm 34:5-6) *How can I have my prayers answered by God? https://www.gotquestions.org/prayer-answered.html

April 14, 2021 at 11:53 AM

Yeah! I finally finished preparing my BSF student Bible lesson and shared it with students this morning :-) Now I share it with you. ***4 /14/21 BSF Student Bible Lesson #26 Genesis 43-44 ***Joseph: Brothers’ second trip to Egypt *God’s Attribute: Love *Aim: To learn that God, in love, leads His children to repentance! ***Introduction • This week’s lesson reminds me of how raw gold is being refined to be pure gold, 24K gold! The two most common methods of refining are the use of high temperature flame and the use of chemicals. Both methods remove the impurities from the gold. (PPT slide #1) • Sins in our lives are like impurities in gold! The impurities also include guilt and shame resulting from sinning. How do we get rid of these impurities in our lives? By fire? Well, sometimes it feels like that. Ask Joseph’s brothers and they can tell you all about it! • Repentance is the refining process where we admit our guilt to God and turn from our sin. Jesus took our sin and guilt when He died on the cross for us! • Joseph tested his brothers because he desired that they truly repent before the Lord and ask for God’s forgiveness. That brings us to this week’s lesson Aim, (PPT slide #2) “God, in love, leads His children to repentance!” God’s Attribute is love! Let’s open our Bible to Genesis 43. ***A. Joseph’s brothers return to Egypt (Genesis 43:1-14) • How long do you think the food the brothers bought from Joseph in Egypt lasted? The Bible didn’t tell us, but I wonder if they were thinking about Simone when they were eating the food? Food ran out and now they would die if they didn’t go back to Egypt to buy more food. • Jacob told the sons to go back to Egypt and Judah reminded his father of the command they received in Egypt. That they would not allow to buy food unless Benjamin returned with them. Judah spoke up as a leader for the brothers despite his imperfect and sinful past of selling Joseph to the Ishmaelites and refused to care for his widowed daughter-in-law, Tamah. • Jacob agreed and he sent his sons including Benjamin along with the best gifts to go back to Egypt to buy food. (PPT slide #3) And it brings us to this week’s Memory Verse, Jacob’s prayer in Genesis 43:14, “And may God Almighty grant you mercy before the man so that he will let your other brother and Benjamin come back with you. As for me, if I am bereaved, I am bereaved.” • I didn’t know what ‘bereaved’ mean, so I looked up another translation in NLT, and it says, “May God Almighty give you mercy as you go before the man, so that he will release Simeon and let Benjamin return. But if I must lose my children, so be it.” It sounds like Jacob was ready to accept God’s plan and leave everything up to God! ***First Principle Truth: (PPT slide #4) God uses challenges to change our hearts! • God didn’t prevent these challenges from happening: Joseph’s hardship through slavery and imprisonment, the famine, or Simeon being taken or Benjamin going with his brothers to Egypt! • God was at work in these challenges: Joseph interpreted dreams to prepare for famine saving his family and the world, he became second in command in Egypt, and reunited with his brothers leading them to repentance! • God also uses challenges to change our hearts. When life gets tough, do you get frustrated and angry? Will you ask God to use the challenges in your life to change your heart? • Do you see the challenges are like refining gold to purify your heart, a heart of gold, pure 24K gold? ***B. Joseph serves his brothers (Genesis 43:15-34) • The brothers arrived in Egypt and Joseph saw Benjamin was with them. He told his steward to prepare dinner for his brothers and to bring them to his house. The brothers on the other hand were afraid that it was a trap. • They immediately confessed to the steward that they have brought back the silver that was somehow put back in their sacks the last time they were in Egypt. And that they have brought more silver for the food this time. • The steward quickly reassured them and said, “It’s all right! Don’t be afraid. Your God, the God of your father, has given you treasure in your sacks; I received your silver.” Then he brought out Simeon to join the brothers. • When Joseph returned to his house, all 11 brothers bowed before him. Just as the dream he had 20 years earlier. • When Joseph saw Benjamin, he was overwhelmed with emotions and left the room to cry so no one would see it. • When Joseph came back in for dinner, the brothers were amazed at the seating according to the exact order of their age. They must be thinking, “How did he know?” Then Benjamin was given 5 times as much food as the others. They must be thinking, “What’s going on?” ***Second Principle Truth: (PPT slide #5) God kindness leads us to repentance! • The brothers’ fear came from a guilty conscience? Probably! Their guilt and shame led them to expect the worst! Instead, they received kindness in the Name of God • In the same way, God shows kindness to us when we sin against Him. He offer forgiveness through His Son, Jesus Christ. • When we turn to Christ by faith, we let go of sinful actions, thoughts and attitudes. Repentance is when we recognize our guilt, confess it to God and turn away from our sin. • Will you ask Jesus to take away your sins and replace them with His joy? He has paid the price so you don’t have to! (PPT slide #6) Am I Sure? https://resc.mybsf.org/G107_AmISure_022013.pdf ***C. Joseph’s brothers are tested (Genesis 44) • It was time for the brothers to return home, but they had to pass one more test of their character. Joseph asked his steward to place Joseph’s silver cup in Benjamin’s sack. • Just as Joseph planned, his steward caught up with them and found the cup in Benjamin’s sack! You think they would have learned from the last trip that they should check theirs sacks before leaving Egypt? • Once again Judah took the leadership and said to Joseph in Genesis 44:16, “What can we say? How can we prove our innocence? God has uncovered your servants’ guilt. We are now my lord’s slaves—we ourselves and the one who was found to have the cup.” Did you catch that? “God has uncovered your servant’s guilt.” He didn’t blame anyone or make any excuses, he faced the circumstance knowing God is in control! • Judah spoke up for the family and pleaded with Joseph to let him take Benjamin’s place to be his slaves, so Benjamin could go back to his father, Jacob! Third Principle Truth: (PPT slide #7) God welcomes all who confess their sin and repent! • Only God can create such a change in Judah. He had gone from selling Joseph into slavery to taking Benjamin’s place as a slave. God alone can give a true spirit of repentance! • The brothers would not have faced their sin without Joseph’s series of tests. • As God worked in their hearts, He demonstrated His love in His well-timed plan (tests) that led to the brothers to face their sins! *******Conclusion – Joseph loved his brothers enough to show kindness to them instead of punishing them for their sins. He did scare them though :-) When we confess our sins to the Lord and repent, He forgives us and restores us through faith in Jesus Christ. God, in love, leads His children to repentance! Have you believed the Good News about Jesus and repented of your sins?

Joanmarie Blessington Respond to comment
April 14, 2021 at 11:13 AM

Thanks to Sr Bridget for reminding us that our God does what is best for us. For years I wondered why He choose my loving husband to be with Him, but I never tuned God out. I trusted and do trust in His Divine Providence.

April 14, 2021 at 10:35 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father most of all for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, as sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

April 14, 2021 at 10:22 AM

April 14, 2021 at 08:27 AM

April 14, 2021 at 08:19 AM

“Proclaiming the word of God Boldly”. What group do we find ourselves in, the group sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ or the one who believes only when something challenging is happening in their on lives and the need God to help. Let us take the example of the Apostles and never hold back from sharing with others the word of God. God will send us his Holy Spirit to help us on what to say, so proclaim the word of God, boldly with all the conviction you have. If it helps, remember who gave his life for all of us, is this too much to ask of us, I reckoned not. JOHN 3:16, we see it in our world, posted here and there. We know what it means. God so loved the world that he has given to each of us his one and only Son, that everyone who believes will have eternal life. But there is the rest of the story. God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world but to save it. “Darkness or Light”. It is said that people who are not doing what is right and just, prefer darkness vs. the light. Why, easy, then what they are doing will not be revealed. On the other hand we find those who are doing good, are in the light, so that all may see and follow thee example. Today, choose light, choose to do the right thing in our days. Do not boast in your ways, because God see everything. It is good for others to see, but not in a boastful way. Others might see and follow your examples. Then the light will be in more places than yesterday and Jesus dying on the cross for our sins will not be for nothing, but for the salvation and eternal life that awaits each of us. Let us pray, Dear Jesus, come hear the calling out of our Living Faith Family today in an answer of their sincere prayers. Jesus, hear our prayers of all those who have no one to pray for them and for all the souls in Purgatory, that today they may see their own prize, the face of Christ in Heaven, we pray, Amen.

Tim
April 15, 2021 at 11:30 AM

All of you that commented here on my reflection today, please know that each of you give me so much encouragement needed to continue to have the Holy Spirit work through me in some small way. Each of you have a special place in my heart. Thank you and Amen to all of you.

Dave
April 15, 2021 at 01:32 AM

Tim, I so enjoy your comments every day...they are so well stated and are encouraging and a blessing to me. God Bless!!

Pam
April 14, 2021 at 10:53 AM

Tim! Your faith and confidence continues to grow in your words...Thank You for sharing with us! God Bless us and all who we love!

SandiG
April 14, 2021 at 08:38 AM

Amen thanks for those words today Tim