Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 13, 2021
St. Martin I
Giving as God Gives
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own…
Acts 4:32

I’ve never been poor. Not really. I’ve lived on a budget, but I haven’t wondered where my next meal was coming from or had to choose between seeing a doctor or heating my home. Even so, I tend to imagine every personal or global catastrophe that could wipe out my bank account and thrust my life into chaos. I get stingy when I’m scared. I buy into the illusion of my own self-sufficiency and forget that everything I have comes from God. In truth, we are all radically dependent on our Heavenly Father. Our call is to use the gifts he gives us to serve

God, help me to be as generous to others as you are to me!

- Karla Manternach

Acts 4:32-37 • Psalm 93:1-2, 5 John 3:7b-15

Comments

Joanmarie Blessington Respond to comment
April 14, 2021 at 11:07 AM

Reading Carla's words spoke to me especially the part about not having to think whether to see a doctor or make a meal. She gave a perfect example of "never been poor," which I can now connect to, but years ago when my sons were small, I was frugal in order to make ends meet. Her words brought back memories of how much we all depend on God.

April 13, 2021 at 02:53 PM

Karla, thank you for your devotion. * I also go through periods of "Donor Fatigue", as Patrick puts it. But most especially I go through periods of extreme business in my daily life where I get so overwhelmed that I forget to "give". I always feel a sense of peace when I give. I pray to the Lord that he will interrupt me during my busy days and remind me to "Give as God Gives" so I can feel that peace within me. God Bless the Living Faith Family.

April 13, 2021 at 01:59 PM

Donor fatigue, great phrase! I suffer from that to sometimes. Then I remember the more I give the more comes back to me!

April 13, 2021 at 09:41 AM

In my own personal life, I know that the more I give, the more I receive. And, as Karla says, fear can keep you from giving. Lord, I pray to strengthen my faith so that even when I'm afraid, knowing you will always provide. Continued prayers and a peaceful day to all.

Bill L
April 13, 2021 at 04:51 PM

I feel that way too, Sandy. It seems when someone in the family, church or a friend needs some help financially we don't have to look far for it to share. It always shows up at the right time.

Patrick
April 13, 2021 at 01:18 PM

As soon as I posted my last comment I went on another site and I think I got my answer, I didn't write what is below I only read it. Alleluia I AM your source of supply, and all that I have is yours. My infinite abundance is available to all, but your consciousness must be of abundance, with no thought of lack or shortage. Feel your consciousness expand and expand, and let it go on expanding without any limitation, for limitation causes blockages in the constant flow. With limitation comes fear, and with fear stagnation; and when something becomes stagnant, the circulation is cut off and it goes dead. Keep the circulation flowing. Let there be a constant giving and receiving on all levels, and know the meaning of infinite abundance. Know that you are one with Me, that you are one with all the wealth in the world and that nothing is taken to the self, nothing is hoarded. All is there to be used wisely. Be a good steward of all My good and perfect gifts. Seek My guidance and direction as to the right use of My infinite supply.

Patrick
April 13, 2021 at 01:13 PM

I enjoyed this reflection when I first read it this morning. It short but for me went straight to the heart of the matter. I wanted to respond but wasn't sure how as it challenged me. So I waited to check and see how others responded. When I read your response Sandy it was closest to my experience. I am a giver and also have experienced in the giving I receive. It's a bit of a bumpy road for me, I go through periods of donor fatigue or reluctance generally driven by concerns about my own family circumstances. Then I remind myself I have a lot to be grateful for. I have all I need and I know where it comes from.

April 13, 2021 at 08:51 AM

"Together As One" this describes the early church, community meant everything to them. Let us not forget that by the grace of God, all that we have been given to us from God and should be shared with others, so that no one is in need. Yes, this would be a great accomplishment if we could achieve this all over the world or even in the town we live in. No homeless people, no one without enough food to eat or clothes on their backs. Oh, what a world this would be. Let us at least do our own individual part to help others with the gifts and graces given to us by our God. The second message today is for us all to be born again. Born again by the Holy Spirit. Jesus, explains to Nicodemus (Jewish Teacher) that how can he and his people understand why Jesus came down from Heaven and that he is the Son of God, when they do not understand what Jesus did here on earth. Jesus goes on to explain to him that just like Moses saved his people in the desert by holding up the serpent, that he too the Son of God must be raised up, so that all sins may be forgiven and that we might have a chance for eternal life. Fast forward, Nicodemus came to believe and was there at the foot of the cross when Jesus body was taken down from the cross. Nicodemus also helped prepare Jesus body for burial. Nicodemus looks at us today, and says, believe, this man who they crucified was the Son of God. We have seen and we believe, blessed are they who have not seen, but believe. Dear risen Lord, please hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory that they may seen the face of their risen Lord in Paradise, we pray, Amen.

Tim
April 14, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Bonnie, good results will come, I know it, because you put him first, then used his gift to their fullness. Whatever he has planned for your life will be good, sometimes we must go through the painful periods to come out better than what we could have ever dreamed for ourselves. At least this is what my faith tells me. Hang in there, we are always there for you. We will keep you in our prayers, Amen.

Bonnie L
April 13, 2021 at 03:27 PM

I really enjoyed your comment Tim, Patrick and Sandy especially on this one about giving. I have tried to give more this year than I usually give. God has blessed me this year with many graces and being unemployed was his will. “Not as I want, but according to Your will, O God, let it be done unto me”. I look forward to hearing from all Living Faith members everyday. Im not much of a reflection writer but Im trying to share what the Holy Spirit gives me. Thank you all who prayed for me yesterday for my interview. I have now moved to the next round of virtual interviews scheduled for Thursday from 10 am to 11:30 am. Kjc (Ken) I did what you suggested and breathed deeply and asked the Holy to talk through me. I was received well by my interviewer who said really enjoyed our conversation. God Bless everyone our LF family! Please pray for all who are sick and are suffering. Amen

April 13, 2021 at 08:47 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Holy Father, in the name of Jesus we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humble pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts, by the power of God - cast into hell Satan and all evil sprits, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

April 13, 2021 at 08:44 AM

Amen! Thank you for reminding me to trust Him in all things.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
April 13, 2021 at 08:39 AM

Thanks Karla for today's devotion. The ability to share generously and freely, living a life without any form of attachment is indeed a gift of the Holy Spirit. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

April 13, 2021 at 08:09 AM

Amen. :)

April 13, 2021 at 07:55 AM

Karla, you read my mind this morning. How reassuring to be reminded that all is from God, so there is no need for anything but faith! Lord Jesus, increase our faith today and every day!